The RIAA Has Gone Off The Deep End

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Check this out. If they have their way, it will be illegal for a person to copy and rip music to iPods or other portable devices. What's on a CD can only be played from that CD. They are truly crazy and their cards are now out on the table for all to see. Before long, even the honest folk will start pirating music. Consider, if you are forced to break one stupid law, there is no longer a moral barrier to breaking other stupid laws. Once you tell people they can't rip to iTunes, even more people will just quit listening to them. They will conclude that if they have to become criminals to listen to their music anyway, they just as well get it for free. They are doing it to themselves.

DEATH TO THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    How about this...If I pay for it then I will do what I want with it. Once I purchase something, I own it. And they wonder why CD sales slump, cause they treat there customers like crap. Death to the CD!!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ROCjetblue320

How about this...If I pay for it then I will do what I want with it. Once I purchase something, I own it. And they wonder why CD sales slump, cause they treat there customers like crap. Death to the CD!!

While I agree that the RIAA is full of crap, and that they have gone way over the line... you don't actually own it.

When you buy a CD, you buy a license to play that music, you don't "own" the music.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Let's get the semantics right. You don't own the rights to further sell the song. You do own the rights to personally play the music with no explicit limit on what device. Despite the fact the Labels try to deny that, the Fair Use tests applied by the courts have consistently upheld this -- so far.

Rights like this can appropriately be called "owned" as long as it isn't mis-represented as the redistribution version of "owned"
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

DEATH TO THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY!!

Well, it is quite obvious that is what the RIAA is shooting for.

\
  • Reply 5 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I think this is just posturing. If they start suing people for ripping (how would they know?) or suing makers of CD-ripping software, then it will be time for the Righteous Indignation?.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Not posturing. If they can establish it's illegal to rip then they can strong-arm the portable music player manufacturers for "courtesy copy licenses" to allow them to stay in business and not be sued. Much like Canada taxed blank CD's.

This is just the first blast in a straight greed grab.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

While I agree that the RIAA is full of crap, and that they have gone way over the line... you don't actually own it.

When you buy a CD, you buy a license to play that music, you don't "own" the music.

And you should be shot if you play it on your cd player at home and then take it on the road and put it your car's cd player. That's just WRONG man!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

And you should be shot if you play it on your cd player at home and then take it on the road and put it your car's cd player. That's just WRONG man!

I agree. My point was simply that - you're not purchasing music, you're purchasing a right to listen to it. I agree you should be able to do pretty much whatever you want - but was simply clarifying that there are some limits because you don't own it when you pay for it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

I agree. My point was simply that - you're not purchasing music, you're purchasing a right to listen to it. I agree you should be able to do pretty much whatever you want - but was simply clarifying that there are some limits because you don't own it when you pay for it.

So surely if you a buying a lisence to listen to that music you shouldnt have to pay for the lisence again if you buy the music in a different format, you should just pay for the cost of the stu necessary to obtain it(infrastructure costs or shipping costs and physical media costs)

stu
  • Reply 10 of 12
    The salient point here is that if you transfer music from a CD to a HD, then as far as the music industry is concerned, you are already a criminal. They see no difference in you copying your own music to a HD and copying someone else's music to your HD. In other words, private copying is the same as public pirating.

This is the same position taken by the movie industry. When was the last time you were able to legally and easily copy a DVD to you HD? The RIAA wants the same thing for their product. And they want the courts to give it to them. If that happens, how will you feel about pirating then?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    So bring out the cops and arrest every sngle person in the United States with a cd burner. Even if you can't prove that they have copied a cd from a cd format to the hard drive. You are guilty, nevertheless, of intent to copy. Felon. 25 years minimum in a state pen.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

The salient point here is that if you transfer music from a CD to a HD, then as far as the music industry is concerned, you are already a criminal. They see no difference in you copying your own music to a HD and copying someone else's music to your HD. In other words, private copying is the same as public pirating.

This is the same position taken by the movie industry. When was the last time you were able to legally and easily copy a DVD to you HD? The RIAA wants the same thing for their product. And they want the courts to give it to them. If that happens, how will you feel about pirating then?

The comparison to the MPAA and how video is protected is quite applicable. Now the openness and age of the CD format is beginning to show, meanwhile the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray camps are being forced to delay their standards so that media can be clamped down more and more.

Definitely the labels are being greedy as always. They want me to buy my content again! Now if they offered a significant reason to do so, high-def audio or some other feature, I might be inclined to do so. But I only have 2 ears and surround sound iPods are not gonna happen unless it uses Dolby's holophonic sound or some other audio processing / simulation tricks. Besides, current CDs are good enough for almost everyone.

Anyhow if the RIAA keeps pursuing this they're just going to annoy consumers more and make more enemies. Unfortunately their only solution is to stop producing CDs and only release content in protected formats, but this will hurt them far more than the copying and "pirating" they're trying to prevent.

I think this entire issue of digital content and personal transcoding needs to be formally legislated but siding with consumer's fair use rights. Once I rip my CDs they never get touched again and I'd love to do the same for my DVDs, etc. The fact that my content came trapped on a little disc of plastic is beside the point, because that's not how I want to use it. With current regulations I can't assemble a video jukebox without either sticking all my DVDs in some multi-disc changer out of the 80s or illegally ripping them.

Anyhow, the RIAA is heading for trouble if they keep this up. I've worked for record labels and they truly are idiots. Oh well, they can keep pounding at the nails until their coffin is closed shut. And good riddens.