Apple could save Blockbuster video

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple could save Blockbuster video

Apple should be looking to Blockbuster to enter the world of digital video distribution and gain a stronger retail presence, according to tech pundit Robert Cringely. Blockbuster, which has been failing to meet investor expectations, needs a better avenue for distribution and its stores would be perfect for Apple to set up an iPod-based video food chain to reach an entirely new base of customers: "Apple's Blockbuster product strategy is simple. Start with a new iPod that has video- and audio-out capability. This iPod -- which will be just as good at playing songs as any iPod that preceded it - will be more than just a video storage device. It will be a video player. No make that plural - players - a whole family of video-out iPods, some with flash storage and others with little disk drives. Take your Video-out iPod to Blockbuster, drop it in a kiosk dock then download from the local xServe your choice of 50,000 movies. You can rent the movie or buy it and you can even choose the resolution, which may or may not affect the final price. Take the iPod home, drop it in the dock attached to your TV and watch the movie. H.264 decoding takes place in the iPod in hardware."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I think Apple should buy me. I have a large array of products that would help them. Theories of communication and representation in the court room not seen elsewhere, great statistic skills and generally superb social theory knowledge paired with huge empirical insight and training in both qualitative and quantitative methods.

I could...ehhh... make great customer analysis reports. Help... hmmm... Apples legal team... in... lets see... understand how to... hmmm... communicate better in their legal battles. I AM A SHOO-IN
  • Reply 2 of 5
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Even better. I could become an analysist. Then I could transform my own wet dreams into something that sounds like the obvious choice for various companies.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Blockbuster can suck it. Bastards ate up all the local rent stores and only moved to no late fees when netflix started to compete with them, but in reality it was a scam to make you pay a restocking fee or buy the movie... and now they have gotten rid of the "No Late Fees" once again, after all that marketing hype of "IT'S OVER!!!". Netflix is my choice.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    The days of Blockbuster charging $4.50 for a video rental is no more. It's nice to see them get their just reward
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Blockbuster can suck it. Bastards ate up all the local rent stores and only moved to no late fees when netflix started to compete with them, but in reality it was a scam to make you pay a restocking fee or buy the movie... and now they have gotten rid of the "No Late Fees" once again, after all that marketing hype of "IT'S OVER!!!". Netflix is my choice.

and now people keep the videos forever, so...there is never anything left in the damn place. i like the $1 rental machines they have in grocery stores now. $4 for a rental, ridiculous...