Apple.com 10th most popular Web site in January

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple.com was the tenth most popular Web site on the Internet for the month of January, when the top sites were ranked by brand, according to Nielsen NetRatings.

Figures released today show Apple.com received just shy of 35 million unique visitors, each of whom spent an average of 1 hour and 6 minutes browsing the company's content.

Yahoo, Microsoft, MSN and Google led all brand Web sites, topping 105 million, 97 million, 94 million, and 91 million unique visits each, respectively. They were followed by AOL, eBay, Amazon and MapQuest.

Real took the ninth spot in January, with edging out by less than 1.2 million unique visitors.

In November Apple led internet retailers in unique visitors, and in December the company was discovered to be the fastest growing site on the internet among the top brands.

Meanwhile, this January it was reported that Apple's iTunes service is being actively used by 14 percent of the Internet population. The service has sky-rocketed in popularity by 241 percent over the past year -- rising from 6.1 million unique visitors in December of 2004 to 20.7 million in December of 2005.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    66 minute average?

Even if you assume that wasn't all at once (maybe six 11-minute visits over the course of the month, for instance), that's still a lot of staying power.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    This is surprising, seeing as, with the exception of the .Mac section, Apple.com is not meant as a portal, as yahoo, google, and msn are.

I guess people are looking at iPod accesories?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    What's the most surprising to me is that Microsoft.com beat out MSN and Google. And that Real was #9. And that Kottke wasn't in there somewhere.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I'm not surprised microsoft.com was up there...i don't know how many times i had to go there to try and find a way to get my windows fixed (futily). Also recently i hvae spent a lot of time on the apple site, configuring computers and such, to find what i might want. I bet i spent nearly 3 hours on there site this month so far.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by polyester

What's the most surprising to me is that Microsoft.com beat out MSN and Google.

It's from all the Mac users being automatically directed there when WMP for OS X won't open up new pr0n.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 13
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'm surprised Real edged out Apple. I didn't know they were still somewhat relevant, I thought their player and formats were distant third place.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Does it count .mac?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I'm surprised Real edged out Apple. I didn't know they were still somewhat relevant, I thought their player and formats were distant third place.

I certainly don't consider them relevant...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    While we're on the topic of Real, why has it lost such realivance in the marketplace? I remember when I had to use real almost if not as often as WMP and Quicktime. I rarelt use Real player now and it seems to be less and less all the time.

I've always thought Real mad really good interfaces for their products. Real Player for OSX is quite sharp and I remember being quite impressed when I was a Windows user at how they made the logo spill off from the title bar to the command bar within windows.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sekio

While we're on the topic of Real, why has it lost such realivance in the marketplace? I remember when I had to use real almost if not as often as WMP and Quicktime. I rarelt use Real player now and it seems to be less and less all the time.

I've always thought Real mad really good interfaces for their products. Real Player for OSX is quite sharp and I remember being quite impressed when I was a Windows user at how they made the logo spill off from the title bar to the command bar within windows.

I always liked to watch videos instead of interface or commercials. Could we finally get rid of real player, and use open / standard codecs to pack our videos
  • Reply 11 of 13
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    I liked how Real player used to hose my whole system up all the time... that was the best feature.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sekio

I haven't used their OS X version much, but in the past, the web site and installer for Real Player was extremely deceptive to the point that there was significant backlash from users and even in the news media, such as BBC. The free player was intentionally hard to find, and the pay-for installer installed extra for-pay modules without telling the user because some checkbox options were down a scroll list which there was no scroll bar, leading to a bigger than expected credit card bill. Shady at best.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by doh123

I liked how Real player used to hose my whole system up all the time... that was the best feature.

I'd recommend YouTube.com for posting and viewing quick low-rez videos. No software installations needed.