10.4.5 making everyones machine faster?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, was just over at mac cast and was reading an interesting thread, everyone is saying that the latest upgrade is making there machine run 33% faster, especially the ilife apps, I have not upgraded my 1.67 17 powerbook yet but this made me curious....if true then what in the world is going on....sounds unbelievable

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    if anyone wants to read what I am talking about, its on the front page at http://maccast.com
  • Reply 2 of 18
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I wonder if the iLife updates have anything to do with that also?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I don't know....Ill go ask, Adam said it was after 10.4.5 though....did'nt the ilife update come afterwards?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

I don't know....Ill go ask, Adam said it was after 10.4.5 though....did'nt the ilife update come afterwards?

I'm pretty sure the same day. 10.4.5 was in the morning and the iLife updates were released in the evening.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    ok...I just posted that question on his thread, as soon as he replies Ill post back here. did you notice anything on yours?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    I guess when I update tonight I will go through my programs one by one and time the dock jumps before and after lol...scientific eh he mentioned possible cache improvement....if thats true the first time I open them after the update should be the same and then subsequent openings will be faster?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Hi, was just over at mac cast and was reading an interesting thread, everyone is saying that the latest upgrade is making there machine run 33% faster, especially the ilife apps, I have not upgraded my 1.67 17 powerbook yet but this made me curious....if true then what in the world is going on....sounds unbelievable

Not unbelievable. Apple has finally removed the debug code.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    would you mine elaborating? I have only been on osx for a year and so I am really clueless on its inner workings...what exactly did they remove and is the 33% faster number right or does it just apply to certain programs?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    faster is relative.

iweb prior to both updates was slow as far as image adjustments go. i have a dual 2ghz g5 with x800 and 4.5 gigs of ram. i shouldn't have gotten a beach ball for making simple adjustments to the photo via iweb.

the updates however fixed this. this was the same way with aperture. aperture's stacking was greatly improved after it's update. just makes me wonder how apple can send these programs out like that.

don't they test these on machines first. if a machine like mine is having issues with iweb i wonder what an ibook user has to go through.

revision a hardware isn't apple's problem it's their revision a software.

photoshop is very fast on my computer and i can do complex image manipulations with little issues. so simple adjustments in iweb causing a beach ball in my book is unacceptable.

same goes for adobe bridge. i have no issues with bridge compared to aperture but simple things in aperture were causing hang ups that i wouldn't expect it to. aperture's update fixed many of those issues but i just feel apple lost sales on aperture because it was so buggy when they first released it.

some thoughts,

cl
  • Reply 10 of 18
    ok...so I finally downloaded 10.4.5 and I do see a difference in speed....it definitely seems to be a caching thing though...the first time I open a program then it takes a "normal" amount of time to load....however after closing the programs out, the second time is instantaneous on my 17" 1.67 powerbook, probably the most drastic is motion, this program has always taken its time opening...now it's just there instantly....so the speed increase is a memory management enhancement I guess......It also seems like this thread would have been more popular if this was something that seems so dramatic but its not being talked about any where that I can see other than mac cast. kinda weird
  • Reply 11 of 18
    btw...I did'nt upgade to ilife 6 so this is just the tiger update, iphoto also opens instantly with approx 2000 photos
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I wish the speed carried over into WoW :P
  • Reply 13 of 18
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

would you mine elaborating? I have only been on osx for a year and so I am really clueless on its inner workings...what exactly did they remove and is the 33% faster number right or does it just apply to certain programs?

Removing the debug code is an inside joke relating to the early days of the 10.0 beta and Ryan over at MacOSRumors spouting off that there were substantial performance increases because Apple removed the debug code.

Needless to say that was about as accurate as rolo's recent prognostications!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    thanks for that info....I really do believe my powerbook seems to be running better though, I did the same test with virtual pc, after the first opening it now is only taking 4 or 5 seconds....which seems much faster than before, but like I say without others really chiming in on it I wonder if its

part imagination
  • Reply 15 of 18
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

Needless to say that was about as accurate as rolo's recent prognostications!

Quote:

Originally posted by Hyde

I wish the speed carried over into WoW :P

I swore I read somewhere that Doom framerates improved.

Anyhow, I think 10.4.5 is a bit snappier.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Must be those complier optimizations finally kicking in.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    They finally included the Sekrit API...
  • Reply 18 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    They optimised the rdf code.