Is Apple planning an OS switch?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    ...and this guy is a professor, ha, what a load of crap! This guy seems to be a nobody just trying to make a mane for himself, and with a name like Dvorak I can see why he is to.

Apple + Windows= the end of the world!
  • Reply 22 of 41
    It takes a lot to just kill a division of a company. If Apple ditches OS X or their hardware division, what do the have to gain from it? Let's see ... alienate their loyal user base, (It has long been said that few other companies garner the consumer loyalty that Apple does) see a huge drop in profits (why would you buy the Mac hardware to run Windows? I sure as hell wouldn't ... might as well save money and build my own box.), and of course turn the computing world upside down.

Market share at 5% may not seem like much, but you're just considering consumer desktop environments. In areas such as A/V editing, Apple commands a higher market share.

The iPod is a moneymaker for Apple right now, sure, but did you not see the article about Apple not being able to meet the demand for the new Intel Macs because of supply shortages? Yeah, Apple is moving computers ... riiiiight.

All this is is Dvorak being a moron again. His reasons are totally unfounded. How silly is it to say since the iPod no longer supports FW, then that's evidence of them dropping OS X. IEEE 1394 is available on Windows machines also, so WTF? Adobe not porting apps to x86 is also a reason? Gimme a break ... that's Adobe being lazy (or waiting till their update cycle comes to term depending on your thoughts of Adobe...). If these new Macs could run Windows now, then where is the proof ...

Bah ... oh well, I've already given Dvorak more attention than he deserves...
  • Reply 23 of 41
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Dvorak.

Couldn't have said it better myself. He's just a silly muckraker at this point. Occasionally he'll make a salient point but more often than not he's just trying to stir things up.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by appleman76

...and this guy is a professor, ha, what a load of crap! This guy seems to be a nobody just trying to make a mane for himself, and with a name like Dvorak I can see why he is to.

Dvorak doesn't have to make a name for himself...he actually did that a long time ago.

And strangely enough, he used to write the back-page column in MacUser magazine back in the early-to-mid 1990s.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael_Moriarty

This is funny...

http://joyoftech.com/joyoftech/index.html

Excellent.

While Apple is primarily a hardware company, people are willing to spend a few extra bucks on it primarioly BECAUSE it comes with the Apple OS. Also, just because they're primarily a hardware company, that doesn't mean they don't still make money selling their OS. Plenty of people who already own Macs buy newer versions of the OS to update their current hardware. I've got two macs still that started life with OS 9.1, and are now on 10.4. (let's see... $129.00 x 4, x 2... carry the one...) Are they just gonna lop off that revenue stream without a shareholder revolt? I seem to recall sales of OS 10.4 as figuring pretty prominently in their quarterly statement the quarter it was released.

Instead of this they should PAY a licensing fee to MS??
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac on a Mac

Apple is its OS.

Mac is an OS, not Apple
  • Reply 28 of 41
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Mac is an OS, not Apple

Ummm, he was referring to the company, and the company is Apple
  • Reply 29 of 41
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael_Moriarty

This is funny...

http://joyoftech.com/joyoftech/index.html

For those reading a couple days later, I believe this is the link originally referenced:

http://joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/789.html

Though, this one is also pretty funny, and geekily true:

http://joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/790.html
  • Reply 30 of 41
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    truth Apple has so pretty hard decisions to make in the next five years.

As a computer mfg they have really nothing to set them selves apart from other hardware companies except the design aesthetics of their PC?s (Yes I said PC?s ? Personal Computers).

The only thing that truly differentiates them selves with other companies like Dell, HP, Gateway ect is the OS. With that being said you have just one PC mfg pushing OS X and all others pushing some flavor of Microsoft Windows. This is a lost battle as far as deep market penetration. Apple will never be able to gross over 15 ? 25% (That may even be a bit to generous) of the market with keeping OS X locked to only them selves. On top of that there hardware is consistently underpowered for the market price they demand, however this does help them to promote their products with ?It just works? by selective hardware for their equipment.

The true path for Apple may not be in hardware at all but rather in software. Microsoft has already shown that software is where the true market penetration and profit is. Take a look over the last few years at what apple has truly accomplished on the PC side.

The new iMac:

Although the form factor is one of the most aesthetically beautiful designs on the market today, it was honestly the only true design paths for the iMac (The sunflower design would have been to difficult and costly to build upon, the new design truly has more room for growth in the short term). However the technology inside is only now really catching up with the wintel mfg due to their move to Intel. One of the most plausible design paths for the iMac to go from here is smaller, thinner and lighter. This could be the reason for the sudden increase for touch screen patents. Any bigger would qualify for a non-AIO designs such as a tower or some sort of media device for your home entertainment system.

The Power Mac (Or maybe MacTower Pro):

This PC is a very elegant design but it is over sized and underpowered for it?s price point. You cannot charge a server type price point for a desktop that for all things considered is 6-month-old out of date design. It is however a very, very powerful PC with limitations. This PC really fills just a niche market and nothing more. The average consumer or business will never purchase this PC unless they are truly trying to fill a niche market like design or video ? music production.

MacMini:

Great little PC that fills a nice little hole that Apple has needed to fill for years. This PC maybe this best thing that Apple has done for long term viability on the hardware side of it?s desktop PC?s. A small foot print with adequate amount of power at a very good price point. It still may still be a bit higher than it needs to be for the lack of screen keyboard and mouse, but then design of this PC may be enough to over come this obstacle. This PC may truly be the future as far as a consumer desktop. We have only seen the first generation of this product and have so much growth potential. This type of a PC is a perfect solution with both home and business needs.

In a business since it may be better for apple to reduce their product offering on the hardware side to four categories. Home and professional desktop and home and professional laptop consisting of MacMini, MacTower Pro, MacBook and MacBook Pro. The true profit point would be to offer an OS X consumer and OS X professional types of operating systems. The pro version would be designed exclusively for their professional hardware that would run professional applications like Final Cut Pro. The consumer version could be opened up and licensed out to other mfg like Dell, HP, Gateway, ect. This would enable Apple to retain their hardware division and at the same time mature there applications like iWork and iLife and OS X and push for a much deeper market penetration.

As a side note the switch to the Intel processor may be much bigger than just Apple upset with IBM and Freescale. There may have been and hard push by outside third party software companies Like Adobe. At the time when Adobe was purchasing Macromedia they may have pushed Apple to adopt Intel. This may be due to fact that Creative suite has become so large and now with Macromedia products involved there may have been a decision with in Adobe to drop development for PPC because the market share and profit could not justify it.

Just My thoughts?.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    I don't get it. Why would apple have to "switch" OSs? I just bought a 24" i-Mac a couple of nights ago (yes, the Ad campaign DID work) and set it up as dual boot with XP. This way I can run hardcore Mac aps like Digital Performer, Quark, etc. AND my wife can run her god forsaken Oracle! - Time to dump all that Dell and Compaq stock LOL.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    As a computer mfg they have really nothing to set them selves apart from other hardware companies except the design aesthetics of their PC?s (Yes I said PC?s ? Personal Computers).

That's actually not true. The graphics alone on a Mac are light years ahead of ANYTHING in the PC world. Even the best monitors out there (I believe Dell is currently on top) don't even come close.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    The sad part is this is my worst fear. I don't think this will ever be a problem, but that's not going to stop me from learning everything I can about UNIX and Linux in case this ever does become my biggest problem. It's also one of the reasons I oppose the use of Boot Camp for any reason. If you want to use Windows, just buy a PC so Boot Camp will be a huge failure for Apple and be dropped off the face of the Earth.

Sebastian
  • Reply 34 of 41
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Frankly, I don't see any more software transitions. They pulled it off once, but I think they'd be pushing it to try it again. I think they move to Windows only if things are very bleak. I not saying it would never happen but only if things were to deteriorate from where they are now. And if so, why not switch to Linux?
  • Reply 35 of 41
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    What? Apple is not selling Windows? After a decade of complete disaster? What do you think Macs are running, then? DOS?

• Reply 36 of 41
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Apple does have a few problems, one is alienating the gamer, the TV user, and having the best OS but then not wanting to market it unless you buy overpriced hardware they rebrand. I thought Dvorak was nuts when he said Apple would go Intel, we all laughed couple years later Apple is all Intel

Apple has to figure out if its going to market its OS or Not. So far they arent interested which is a mistake. This story could have merit but really take a look without Bootcamp Apple would be dead in the water,without bootcamp gamers would have near nothing. Without TVs and games how much fun can that Mac guy really have with his photo's & OS? I just bought a new machine and it was a PC, Not a Mac because Mac gaming is dead, No TV tuners that will fit inside any Mac? What the hell is Apple doing?..........pushing pods,more pods,new pods while the computer line is all screwed up by Apples policy of crippling 1 Mac for the sake of another Mac sales.ProMac vs iMac vs Mini. Apple may have lots of Money but they are running Boot Camp for a reason. Reason is they forgot to sell OSX to the world.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurora View Post

Apple does have a few problems, one is alienating the gamer, the TV user, and having the best OS but then not wanting to market it unless you buy overpriced hardware they rebrand. I thought Dvorak was nuts when he said Apple would go Intel, we all laughed couple years later Apple is all Intel

Apple has to figure out if its going to market its OS or Not. So far they arent interested which is a mistake. This story could have merit but really take a look without Bootcamp Apple would be dead in the water,without bootcamp gamers would have near nothing. Without TVs and games how much fun can that Mac guy really have with his photo's & OS? I just bought a new machine and it was a PC, Not a Mac because Mac gaming is dead, No TV tuners that will fit inside any Mac? What the hell is Apple doing?..........pushing pods,more pods,new pods while the computer line is all screwed up by Apples policy of crippling 1 Mac for the sake of another Mac sales.ProMac vs iMac vs Mini. Apple may have lots of Money but they are running Boot Camp for a reason. Reason is they forgot to sell OSX to the world.

I agree. Steve Jobs can be a double edged sword. He's a brilliant visionary, but he has very strong biases that keep Apple and Mac OS X from realizing their full potential. He likes to go deep on the design, but be very conservative on the sales end. That being said, Apple could help things a lot by only making a couple changes. Apple is lacking in three major areas in the hardware arena Larger screen consumer notebook, Value consumer model, Entry level (read single professor slot) professional workstation/desktop and server; And has pretty much forgotten non-creative consumer tasks on the software side.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by costique View Post

What? Apple is not selling Windows? After a decade of complete disaster? What do you think Macs are running, then? DOS?

Decade of compete disaster?? Is that why they sell more boxes out the door than Dell (i-Pod NOT included)?!?!?

There stock has split several times since 94, but it's cool. I've been listening to people say that Apples going under since the mid 80s! It's kinda nostalgic in a Fairy-tale sort of way.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    I think Dvorak is a short-seller. Putz.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurora View Post

I'm a pretty hardcore gamer, and to be honest I wouldn't use a Mac OR a PC for that. It's all about the PS3 (unless your into flinging stuff into your flatscreen, in which you might go with the wii).