imac buying help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey im going to buy a new imac, and i was wondering if it would be better to get 2 gigs of ram and the 128 mb gpu, or 1 gig of ram and 256 mb gpu. What do you all think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    2 gigs of RAM.

All the Quartz effects in the world won't saturate the 128MB, but having that extra gig of system RAM is going to make everything run faster, and will reduce the demand on the HD. This will make it last longer and will help keep internal temps down.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ha so high intensity gaming won't fill up that 128 mb?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I'd get the graphics card ... you can always add RAM later ... the GPU is forever

X-Plane will "fill up" the 256 card and wish it had more.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

I'd get the graphics card ... you can always add RAM later ... the GPU is forever

X-Plane will "fill up" the 256 card and wish it had more.

I agree- I have a rev a iMac G5 w/ 64MB of graphics and I wish I could upgrade. You can always add more RAM later- the graphics card is forever!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    The thing is the difference in price. Off amazon i can get it w/o the 256, but with 2 gigs of ram at the same price as with the 256, and 1 gig of ram
  • Reply 6 of 11
    What do you intend to do with the machine? If it's primarily Photoshop, other 2-d art apps, or audio, like Logic or ProTools, get RAM. If you're doing video work, 3D, or lots of gaming, get the better video card.

But come on, you know you want both!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ha i do want both, but money won't allow me too...feel free to send me about 300 dollers, and i would be glad to get both...come on uk u want to!

Ok well ill be doing some gaming, but not all to much. I do have my 360 and all

Ok well i think im going to have to go w/ the video card then.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow Slayer 26

ha i do want both, but money won't allow me too...feel free to send me about 300 dollers, and i would be glad to get both...come on uk u want to!

Ok well ill be doing some gaming, but not all to much. I do have my 360 and all

Ok well i think im going to have to go w/ the video card then.

That's the smart choice. Third-party RAM is cheaper than ordering it installed, and is easy to add later.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

ha i do want both, but money won't allow me too...

six months from now, you might have some extra money... but you've already bought the iMac...

You WILL be able to add RAM at that point, you WON'T be able to upgrade the graphics card... It's now or never for the 256 graphics.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

ha so high intensity gaming won't fill up that 128 mb?

If I were plannning on buying a computer with for "high intensity gaming" I wouldn't buy a mac, let alone an intel mac.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ha well i was just using that as a example. It won't be very high intensity. Also i just realized how hard it is to get anything done on windows. While gaming is fun, i need functionality more, which OSX offers.