Apple plans 17-inch MacBook Pro by June

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

Could Apple come up with a 11" ala VAIO?

If Apple did come out with an 11" MacBook "nano" expansion slot space will be tight. Would you be willing to give up the optical drive to make room for more expansion slots, or would you keep the drive, but have minimal expansion slots? Something this small would have ethernet, 1 USB 2.0, audio out, and a PCI Express slot.
  • Reply 22 of 96
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

If Apple did come out with an 11" MacBook "nano" expansion slot space will be tight. Would you be willing to give up the optical drive to make room for more expansion slots, or would you keep the drive, but have minimal expansion slots? Something this small would have ethernet, 1 USB 2.0, audio out, and a PCI Express slot.

Yes, kick the optical drive to the curb. An external drive would be nice with a hard carry case for it.

I need ethernet, two USB 2.0, and audio out. An expansion slot to allow for connecting to cell phone internet would be cool but not neccessary.
  • Reply 23 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Yes, kick the optical drive to the curb. An external drive would be nice with a hard carry case for it.

LaCie has an external mobile drive with LightScribe capabilities.
  • Reply 24 of 96
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

Why?

Somehow, Sony manages to make an 11", 3lb notebook that doesn't sacrifice the integrated optical drive. It has Firewire, 2USB, Ethernet, modem, WiFi, Bluetooth, video out, mic, headphone, optional EDGE, port replicator jack, and CardBus. They claim the battery life is 4-7.5 hours. Now, an ultra light laptop is going to sacrifice something, here, it requires the ULV CPUs, the current model is 1.2GHz. That's the consequence of wanting an ultra light laptop, a significant part of the weight is the battery required to power the laptop.

If you care to validate it, here is the model: VGN-TX610P/B
  • Reply 25 of 96
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I need ethernet, two USB 2.0, and audio out. An expansion slot to allow for connecting to cell phone internet would be cool but not neccessary.

That would get a very large number of people pissed.

We have people complaining that Apple left the modem out! That's small enough to put into your pocket, and they're complaining that they don't have enough room in the case for it.

What are you going to tell them about the optical drive?
  • Reply 26 of 96
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    How about this?

The 13" MacBook replaces both the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook. Available in three configurations from $999 to $1799. Picture the current iBook but with a widescreen display. A design featuring white plastic on the outside and silver aluminum on the inside. A blend of both models that matches the look of the Mac mini.

Meanwhile the 17" MacBook HD or MacBook Extreme takes care of the high-end. Prices ranging from $2799 to $3299 with a 1920x1200 resolution and features lost on the 15" model. Perhaps marking the return of titanium as an enclosure material or maybe a darker or two-tone aluminum finish to further differentiate it.
  • Reply 27 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

That would get a very large number of people pissed.

We have people complaining that Apple left the modem out! That's small enough to put into your pocket, and they're complaining that they don't have enough room in the case for it.

What are you going to tell them about the optical drive?

Don't buy the computer if they don't like it.

You are right, people will complain but I need max battery life, OSX, and a small ultra portable machine in the field at work and that would be the ticket!
  • Reply 28 of 96
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

How about this?

The 13" MacBook replaces both the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook. Available in three configurations from $999 to $1799. Picture the current iBook but with a widescreen display. A design featuring white plastic on the outside and silver aluminum on the inside. A blend of both models that matches the look of the Mac mini.

Meanwhile the 17" MacBook HD or MacBook Extreme takes care of the high-end. Prices ranging from $2799 to $3299 with a 1920x1200 resolution and features lost on the 15" model. Perhaps marking the return of titanium as an enclosure material or maybe a darker or two-tone aluminum finish to further differentiate it.

this is good idea blend of white and Alu, may be price starting from $799, $999, $1199

$1799 looks too steep
  • Reply 29 of 96
    Quote:

Don't buy the computer if they don't like it.

You are right, people will complain but I need max battery life, OSX, and a small ultra portable machine in the field at work and that would be the ticket!

I would like to see Apple produce a small machine. But I'm not sure that there is a real market for it.

In my experience, people will say that they want a certain product, but when it is produced, they don't buy it.

A number of companies have produced computers without optical drives, but have found that they aren't popular. People don't want to have to buy a drive to be able to install software, play games, back-up, etc. They think it should be standard.

Apple used to offer machines with bays, so that you didn't have to have that drive, you could install an extra battery, or something else. But that costs more to make, and is even larger, because the bay takes up more room, etc.

If the 3 1/2" format ever took off, it would have been different. I think that it's about time that manufacturers got together, and realized that less storage in a DL DVD recorder that was significantly smaller would be perfect for a portable. As all DVD drives will work with 3 1/2" disks, and very little software installs would need more than what would fit on a DL 3 1/2" disk, companies could offer their stuff on that size.

That would be a good solution, and companies I've spoken to about it agree. But they also say that it's unlikely, at least, at this time. Maybe after Blu-Ray and HD DVD come out with their higher capacities.
  • Reply 30 of 96
    Quote:

If the 3 1/2" format ever took off, it would have been different. I think that it's about time that manufacturers got together, and realized that less storage in a DL DVD recorder that was significantly smaller would be perfect for a portable. As all DVD drives will work with 3 1/2" disks, and very little software installs would need more than what would fit on a DL 3 1/2" disk, companies could offer their stuff on that size.

Personally, the most I use the drive on my 12" PowerBook is for ripping CDs. CDs often come on the standard 12cm discs. This really isn't logical at all. What happens when I want to play DVDs on my external monitor?

This is the exact reason it hasn't happened.

This is the exact reason it isn't happening.

Go figure.....
  • Reply 31 of 96
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

this is good idea blend of white and Alu, may be price starting from $799, $999, $1199

$1799 looks too steep

Well, my pricing was based on the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook lines merging into the 13" MacBook so it had to cover the full range. Perhaps $1599 for the top of the line 13" MacBook would be more appropriate. Depends on whether or not things like the backlit keyboard are included vs build to order. I doubt $799 would be possible though. Maybe $899 for a really stripped down education-only version with no iSight, DVD-RW, etc.
  • Reply 32 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Personally, the most I use the drive on my 12" PowerBook is for ripping CDs. CDs often come on the standard 12cm discs. This really isn't logical at all. What happens when I want to play DVDs on my external monitor?

This is the exact reason it hasn't happened.

This is the exact reason it isn't happening.

Go figure.....

I'm talking about a small portable, not a Macbook pro, or even a new iBook.

This is the machine for all the guys who want a small one (computer, that is).

Aplnub might want something like this. It would use less power than a full size drive. These machines would also come with 1.8" drives instead of 2.5" ones. They also use much less power. These machines might be able to get 8 or more hours of battery life.

For people who just MUST listen to a CD, instead of music they ripped from their cd's, or bought from iTunes, a seperate 5 1/4" drive could be taken, as Aplnub suggests.

But, there isn't any reason to have to listen to a CD these days on a computer, except for the rather rare time when you might by one when on a trip, and just CAN"T wait 'till you get home. Same thing for a movie or Tv show.
  • Reply 33 of 96
    will the 17 in use yonah or merom chip?
  • Reply 34 of 96
    Quote:

I'm talking about a small portable, not a Macbook pro, or even a new iBook.

This is the machine for all the guys who want a small one (computer, that is).

Aplnub might want something like this. It would use less power than a full size drive. These machines would also come with 1.8" drives instead of 2.5" ones. They also use much less power. These machines might be able to get 8 or more hours of battery life.

For people who just MUST listen to a CD, instead of music they ripped from their cd's, or bought from iTunes, a seperate 5 1/4" drive could be taken, as Aplnub suggests.

But, there isn't any reason to have to listen to a CD these days on a computer, except for the rather rare time when you might by one when on a trip, and just CAN"T wait 'till you get home. Same thing for a movie or Tv show.

You are riight but for one thing. Saying I might is like asking people on this forum if they would like SJ to explain them the 1 year roadmap in detail over dinner in his personal jet to WWDC.

Aplnub MOST DEFINITELY would purchase one. Bet the farm on it Martha...

That is my dream machine but the battery life could be better, dang Mel!!!

• Reply 35 of 96
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by deepkid

It's quaint how the name "macbook" doesn't sound as obtuse as it did upon introduction.

But I happen to believe that this 12" powerbook is one of the best laptops ever offered.

If this size format will no longer be offered with pro features, let's hope that the replacement product is sufficient enough to satisfy the many of us who are mad about little tanks.

Like you I'm highly disappointed that there is no talk of a 12in Macbook Pro. Can some one please explain why? I'm under the impression that these maodels sold well and were well received by customers.
  • Reply 36 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Isn't the 17" PowerBook already an inch thick though? It has always been thinner than the 15" PowerBook and I thought the 15" MacBook Pro is an inch thick just like the 17" PowerBook. Form over function I guess. I doesn't look like Apple designed the MacBook very well. It's more about aesthetics rather than performance. That's the wrong way to be doing things.

I think the case for this is that the display portion of the MacBook Pro may be a bit thicker than that of a 17" PB (to make room for the iSight). Obviously, to keep MacBook Pro's thickness the same as the 17" PB, they had to make the body proportionally thinner.

BTW: Does anyone know who makes the optical drive for the MacBook Pro? It doesn't appear to be the usual suspects (Pioneer, Matsushita/Panasonic)
  • Reply 37 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

Based on current rumors, it'll be Yonah to start.
  • Reply 38 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Like you I'm highly disappointed that there is no talk of a 12in Macbook Pro. Can some one please explain why? I'm under the impression that these maodels sold well and were well received by customers.

If we're really lucky, this could be a super secret Apple rumor that Steve has kept under lock and key.

Steve probably had Schiller and Ive do a blood oath to keep it under wraps.
  • Reply 39 of 96
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

Intel has delayed release of the Merom core chips. They willbe shipped to system builders by the end of the year, and willbe available in machines early next year. There is also the possibilty of them delaying again (it actually quite common by them)

Because of this, im pretty sure the 17 will have a Yonah core.
  • Reply 40 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by doh123

Intel has delayed release of the Merom core chips. They willbe shipped to system builders by the end of the year, and willbe available in machines early next year. There is also the possibilty of them delaying again (it actually quite common by them)

Source? I read they would be delayed a quarter to Q3 06. That's not next year by any stretch.

The 17-inch PowerBook may be intro'd sooner rather than later. Amazon's got a $200 discount going on the 17-inch (Link), along with a $150 on the 15-inch PowerBook. Either they are coming sooner or Amazon's getting cold feet worried that they may have stock they don't want to get stuck with.