is my powermac getting enough power?

rokrok
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
okay, my dual G4 has been acting wonky lately. i've made some additions to the set-up from christmas, added a pci card and powered it off the extra power cable in the case, added some extra hard external hard drives, etc.

my question is this... is it possible that my overall set-up is drawing too much power from the outlet i have it all plugged into? i have my main computer plugged into an apc ups which is in one socket, and a power strip plugged into the other socket of the same outlet. i don't have any major drain appliances on that outlet, like a laser printer or anything, but i do have several outlets on the ups occupied, and several occupied on the separate power strip.

basically, it's the only thing left i can think of to try to fix the wonkiness (the big "issue" for me is that pci cards and other devices will be REALLY SLOW to be recognized at startup. some will activate after a while or if i intentionally restart them (like my pci linksys wireless card).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

my question is this... is it possible that my overall set-up is drawing too much power from the outlet i have it all plugged into? i have my main computer plugged into an apc ups which is in one socket, and a power strip plugged into the other socket of the same outlet. i don't have any major drain appliances on that outlet, like a laser printer or anything, but i do have several outlets on the ups occupied, and several occupied on the separate power strip.

No. If your UPS was overloaded, it would trigger the resetable circuit breaker in it. If your AC circuit was overloaded, it would trip the breaker. AC line noise should be filtered by the power supply on your computer.

I don't think this is a power issue.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, i guess it's time for me to crack her back open and find that pmu button again. bleh...