Apple serves DMCA notice to OSx86 Project

Comments

• Reply 121 of 145
    "EULA is based upon copyright"

not necessarily.

"In the States where shrinkwrap is recognized"

there is a distinction between shrinkwrap and clickwrap licenses and distinction is rather important in determining the validity of a contract regardless of state.

"Some States don't recognize that."

even states that don't (specifically) have adopted the ucc, which does.
  • Reply 122 of 145
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by t_vor

[B]"EULA is based upon copyright"

not necessarily.

Yes, it is.

Quote:

"In the States where shrinkwrap is recognized"

there is a distinction between shrinkwrap and clickwrap licenses and distinction is rather important in determining the validity of a contract regardless of state.

I didn't say there wasn't.

Quote:

"Some States don't recognize that."

even states that don't (specifically) have adopted the ucc, which does.

Few States have adopted the UCC. It has been stopped in its tracks. It is EXTREMELY consumer unfriendly. Some States that have adopted it are considering rescinding it.
  • Reply 123 of 145
    "Yes, it is"

well, that was certainly a well supported assertion. why would any licensing agreement have to be based on copyright law? seems that burger king isn't overly concerned with copyright law in the licensing agreement that they have with their franchisees, nor are land owners who license oil companies to drill on their land...

"I didn't say there wasn't"

nope, you didn't. however considering that you only mentioned shrinkwrap licenses (which have a much more tenuous status), it seemed like it was a important point to bring up.

"Few States have adopted the UCC"

personally, i wouldn't characterize 49 (in some part or version) as "few" but that's just me. you're probably thinking of ucita. however, all states other than la have adopted article 2 of the ucc which provides relevant authority for clickwrap licenses.
  • Reply 124 of 145
    Quote:

"Yes, it is"

well, that was certainly a well supported assertion. why would any licensing agreement have to be based on copyright law? seems that burger king isn't overly concerned with copyright law in the licensing agreement that they have with their franchisees, nor are land owners who license oil companies to drill on their land...

"I didn't say there wasn't"

nope, you didn't. however considering that you only mentioned shrinkwrap licenses (which have a much more tenuous status), it seemed like it was a important point to bring up.

"Few States have adopted the UCC"

personally, i wouldn't characterize 49 (in some part or version) as "few" but that's just me. you're probably thinking of ucita. however, all states other than la have adopted article 2 of the ucc which provides relevant authority for clickwrap licenses.

As we aren't talking about Burger King and franchises, which is what you are talking about there, not licenses, I didn't think to bring it up.

Shrinkwrap licenses are just as strongly supported, in the States that recognise them , as Click licenses are.

Yes, you are right, my mistake, I was thinking of UCITA.
  • Reply 125 of 145
    Quote:

however, all states other than la have [/B]

LA is not a state.
  • Reply 126 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

LA is not a state.

It's a state of mind.
  • Reply 127 of 145
    Quote:

LA is not a state.

But Louisiana is
  • Reply 128 of 145
    I'm sure he'll say he meant Louisiana.
  • Reply 129 of 145
    "As we aren't talking about Burger King and franchises, which is what you are talking about there, not licenses, I didn't think to bring it up."

since the formation of a binding end user licensing agreement bears no greater onus than any other license, the license for any given franchise is as relevant as any other license. however if you feel that is too much of a stretch, the license that hertz have end users sign when they lease a car has nothing to do with copyrights. either way, i've provided much more support in proving a negative than you have supporting your assertion. why don't you make this easy and edify me by pointing out the statute that requires that eula's be based on copyright?

"Shrinkwrap licenses are just as strongly supported"

not even close. since a shrinkwrap license requires no affirmative action by the user, their validity as a binding contract is forced to rely on other factors. perhaps you should try to support your assertions, rather than just declaring them to be so.

"I'm sure he'll say he meant Louisiana."

considering that i was referring to states, la is the postal abbreviation for louisiana, and louisiana is the only state not adopt (in any part) the ucc (which was my assertion), it would be idiotic to claim otherwise.
  • Reply 130 of 145
    As I recall Louisiana is under Nepoleonic (sp?) Law so things are bound to be different there . . .

With all of the legal arguments there seems to be one factor forgotten. As Mac owners we are on a pretty good wicket, as the Poms would say. Little old Apple with only 5% market share drops half a billion a year on R&D and delivers OS upgrades at a pretty good price - I get the family Pack under an edu discount and upgrade 5 Macs in the family for about $30 a Mac. Meanwhile PC users wait and wait for Longhorn/Vista and will be paying a large chunk of money for a full version when it is finally delivered.

If we move to a situation where PC users will be able to install OS X on their box with a little help from the hackers then I see the end of the $129 full version software packages, and the Family Packs as well. Apple might as well price their full versions at the same price as full versions of XP or Vista. You'll get the current one free with your Mac and then get the shaft on any new version. We might as well throw in all of the other crap Windows gives us, like a long string of numbers and letters to enter just to install the software and then on line activation.

If this does happen eventually I would have one suggestion for Apple. Farm out tech support for the PC users to India like Dell does (their solution is "You need to reinstall the operating system") and keep the great US support for those that actually are using a Mac.

Good to know you're a doc, lundy. Is there a Rx to help those with an uncontrollable urge to install OS X on a PC?
  • Reply 131 of 145
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
  • Reply 132 of 145
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Imagine going to a resteraunt, paying for your food when you ordered, and just as the waitress is getting ready to serve your dinner, you are presented with an End Diner Licence Agreement stateing that you will not modify the food in any way: no salt, pepper, sugar, syrip, sauce, jam, jelly ETC that is not on the plate...and you can be sued under the DMCA for taking the food off of the plate and putting it in a box/doggiebag...

If we will not take it from our resteraunts, why do we take it from our software vendors?

Ha! I have to admit, I once went to a restaurant where they did this. After I finished, they told me I couldn't take what I had left because it was a new recipe, and they didn't want anyone copying it. So, I left, told everyone what they did, and none of my friends/colleagues ever went there again. Of course that's easy when there are a gazillion other restaurants to choose from.
  • Reply 133 of 145
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

Ha! I have to admit, I once went to a restaurant where they did this. After I finished, they told me I couldn't take what I had left because it was a new recipe, and they didn't want anyone copying it. So, I left, told everyone what they did, and none of my friends/colleagues ever went there again. Of course that's easy when there are a gazillion other restaurants to choose from.

WTF?! On the contrary, you paid for the food and it should be yours to take home. If they tried to pull that crap on me I'd have a fit and would deduct the uneaten portion from the bill.

I'm all for certain elitist restaurants discouraging modifications to their perfect taste sensations, but if I want to add some salt or take the sucker home that's up to me.

Egads.
  • Reply 134 of 145
    Quote:

"As we aren't talking about Burger King and franchises, which is what you are talking about there, not licenses, I didn't think to bring it up."

since the formation of a binding end user licensing agreement bears no greater onus than any other license, the license for any given franchise is as relevant as any other license. however if you feel that is too much of a stretch, the license that hertz have end users sign when they lease a car has nothing to do with copyrights. either way, i've provided much more support in proving a negative than you have supporting your assertion. why don't you make this easy and edify me by pointing out the statute that requires that eula's be based on copyright?

We're talking about different kinds of licenses here. A fishing license has nothing to do with copyright either, neither does a driving license.

I assumed that we were talking, for the sake of this discussion, about the licensing that results from copyright. Weren't we? Or am I mistaken?

If we were, and that's what this discussion started out with, then we should limit it to that. That's why I disagree that franchising pertains to what we are talking about.

Otherwise, EULA is based upon the rights given to the copyright holder. There doesn't have to be a statute requiring that EULA be based upon copyright, because if it weren't, it would not be valid, at least, not in those rights claimed. The EULA is merely a statement of those rights. It might be that a particular EULA claims rights in error, or that the copyright holders are deliberatly stretching. That would have to be decided in court.

"Shrinkwrap licenses are just as strongly supported"

Quote:

not even close. since a shrinkwrap license requires no affirmative action by the user, their validity as a binding contract is forced to rely on other factors. perhaps you should try to support your assertions, rather than just declaring them to be so.

Here is the opinion from the Supreme Court of the State of Washington on a dispute. As all opinions do, it references other cases as well.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...964maj&invol=1

A statement by the court:

"Although no Washington case specifically addresses the type of contract

formation at issue in this case, a series of recent cases from other

jurisdictions have analyzed shrinkwrap licenses under analogous statutes.

See Brower v. Gateway 2000, Inc., 246 A.D.2d 246, 250-51, 676 N.Y.S.2d 569

(1998); Hill v. Gateway 2000, Inc., 105 F.3d 1147 (7th Cir.), cert. denied,

522 U.S. 808 (1997); ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg, 86 F.3d 1447 (7th Cir.

1996)."

A guote from this from a case in another State, New York:

"Hill, 105 F.3d at 1150 (emphasis added).

Interpreting the same licensing agreement at issue in Hill, the New York

Supreme Court, Appellate Division concluded shrinkwrap license terms

delivered following a mail order purchase were not proposed additions to

the contract, but part of the original agreement between the parties.

Brower, 246 A.D.2d at 250-51. The court held U.C.C. section 2-207 did not

apply because the contract was not formed until after the period to return

the merchandise. Brower, 246 A.D.2d at 250.10"

And Wisconsin.

"In ProCD, which involved a retail purchase of software, the Seventh Circuit

held software shrinkwrap license agreements are a valid form of contracting

under Wisconsin's version of U.C.C. section 2-204, and such agreements are

enforceable unless objectionable under general contract law such as the law

of unconscionability. ProCD, 86 F.3d at 1449-52. The court stated,

'{n}otice on the outside, terms on the inside, and a right to return the

software for a refund if the terms are unacceptable (a right that the

license expressly extends), may be a means of doing business valuable to

buyers and sellers alike.' ProCD, 86 F.3d at 1451."

I never said that it had equal validity everywhere, just in those States that recognise it.

Quote:

"I'm sure he'll say he meant Louisiana."

considering that i was referring to states, la is the postal abbreviation for louisiana, and louisiana is the only state not adopt (in any part) the ucc (which was my assertion), it would be idiotic to claim otherwise.

• Reply 135 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

t_vor, nice points. Don't worry that mel or gene don't agree, you can see the quality of their replies. You won't get an acknowledgement that you are correct either, just suffer during hours of endless repeated responding to their supposed legal drivel. At some point you just have to rely on the court of general opinion finding them guilty of talking out their butts again and let them continue babbling.

I happen to agree with t_vor on most of his points.
  • Reply 136 of 145
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I happen to agree with t_vor on most of his points.

You may be right. Your 2:04 post yesterday popped the thumbscrews on my neurons and has warped something. Maybe you can restore balance to the force by reformatting it. I think I might be sorry for tarring you with gene on this one, but those thumbscrews need to be removed before I can think straight.

The only thing I can take in on this thread now is "blah, blah, blah, Ginger, blah, blah..."
  • Reply 137 of 145
    "I assumed that we were talking, for the sake of this discussion, about the licensing that results from copyright"

this begs the question. you're attempting to support your assertion that "EULA is based upon copyright" by limiting the discussion to licensing that results from copyright. obviously, if the discussion is so limited, your assertion would have been unnecessary and redundant. taking this into consideration along with the facts that there had been no prior stipulation on the limitations of the discussion and that even licenses pertaining to copyrighted materials are under on onus to be based on copyright, i think i'll stick with my original statemnet.

"There doesn't have to be a statute requiring that EULA be based upon copyright, because if it weren't, it would not be valid, at least, not in those rights claimed"

nope. it would be easy to create a valid license that has as it's only stipulation that the material is only allowed to be read while wearing red pajamas. i may have missed it, but i'm pretty sure that there's nothing in copyright law about the color of one's pajamas.

all that i had said is that an eula is not necessarily based on copyright. since licenses may have nothing to do with copyrighted material or specify any modification to the rights available even dealing with copyrighted material, this seems like a rather reasonable assertion.

"I never said that it had equal validity everywhere, just in those States that recognise it."

however, that is simply not the case. the gateway cases neatly proves the point. had gateway employed a clickwrap license, a contract would have been formed immediately. since they used a shrinkwrap license instead, the affirmative action of not returning the merchandise in the alloted return period was required for the formation of the contract.
  • Reply 138 of 145
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Once Apple fills out the rest of their hardware offerings, I hope most of the whining stops. The only major problem I ever had with Apple using PowerPC was the performance gap, which is now moot. The little extra cost involved in designing their own hardware is easily offset by the lack of driver problems Apple tech support and their customers have to deal with.

As for the difference in price, that's a VOLUME issue. Apple is in no worse a position than, say, Sony or IBM, to produce in mass quanites. The problem is demand for MacOS has always been hampered by the fact it doesn't run DOS/Windows programs which are considered essential or 'the standard' by the ignorant fools in other cubicles (and more omninously, offices in stories above).

I keep hearing how OS X would become massively popular if only it ran on clones. It wasn't true with OPENSTEP, and it wasn't true when Apple experimented with clones. Why does this old chestnut keep showing up? Throw it in the fire already!
  • Reply 139 of 145
    Quote:

[B]"I assumed that we were talking, for the sake of this discussion, about the licensing that results from copyright"

this begs the question. you're attempting to support your assertion that "EULA is based upon copyright" by limiting the discussion to licensing that results from copyright. obviously, if the discussion is so limited, your assertion would have been unnecessary and redundant. taking this into consideration along with the facts that there had been no prior stipulation on the limitations of the discussion and that even licenses pertaining to copyrighted materials are under on onus to be based on copyright, i think i'll stick with my original statemnet.

Did you notice the name of the thread? We were talking about copyrights and such. Some have given bad examples that went astray. so, possibly the thread moved in that direction. But I'm not limiting this, I'm trying to keep it on track. If you want to bring everything else into it, fine, we can talk about license plates too.

You can stick with your statement. In its area, it's correct. I won't argue yhat.

"There doesn't have to be a statute requiring that EULA be based upon copyright, because if it weren't, it would not be valid, at least, not in those rights claimed"

nope. it would be easy to create a valid license that has as it's only stipulation that the material is only allowed to be read while wearing red pajamas. i may have missed it, but i'm pretty sure that there's nothing in copyright law about the color of one's pajamas.[/QUOTE]

You could write a license based on that, but it wouldn't have automatic protection as based in law that has laid down the parameters over two centuries. Licenses based upon copyright, trademark, and patents have the force of accepted law, and precedent. It could be done though.

Quote:

all that i had said is that an eula is not necessarily based on copyright. since licenses may have nothing to do with copyrighted material or specify any modification to the rights available even dealing with copyrighted material, this seems like a rather reasonable assertion.

I have never seen a EULA for copyighted materials (or patented, or trademarked) that wasn't based upon the laws earmarked for that purpose. Maybe you have. I'm curious. Have you an example?

"I never said that it had equal validity everywhere, just in those States that recognise it."

however, that is simply not the case. the gateway cases neatly proves the point. had gateway employed a clickwrap license, a contract would have been formed immediately. since they used a shrinkwrap license instead, the affirmative action of not returning the merchandise in the alloted return period was required for the formation of the contract.[/QUOTE]

Each law has its own requirements. The examples shown reflect that shrinkwrap has the force of law.

I'm sure that we can both find more examples.
  • Reply 140 of 145
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

LA is not a state.

LA==Louisiana!