Camino 1.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi Everyone,

Well, I had tried Camino in the past, and I never liked it that much. However, this full release they have now is pretty good. It is very fast on my intel iMac and my Powerbook. I think its a great release.

However, I may still stay with Safari, for I prefer the smaller form that the top of the browser takes up in Safari. Do you know what I mean? Camino takes up a lot more of my screen at the top, showing less of the web pages. The speed is phenomenal though.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Camino is my favorite browser - not taking anything away from the others, but Camino just does it for me !

Have you tried selecting view and hiding the bookmark bar? You can also hide / show the tool bar using the same method or "shift-command-T" ! Doing this significantly shrinks the space Camino uses at the top and leaves much more room for the web pages .
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MrSin

Camino is my favorite browser - not taking anything away from the others, but Camino just does it for me !

Have you tried selecting view and hiding the bookmark bar? You can also hide / show the tool bar using the same method or "shift-command-T" ! Doing this significantly shrinks the space Camino uses at the top and leaves much more room for the web pages .

Camino used to be my primary browser, with Safari coming in as my first back-up. Believe it or not, it was this forum (AppleInsider.com) that caused me to swap primary and back-up. For some reason, Camino was slow with difficulty editing posts on this forum (and only this forum). Other Gecko-based browsers worked fine. I made Safari my primary browser and have not looked back.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by MrSin

Yes, I did this which helped a lot, but it still has the status bar on the bottom taking up space. Anyway to get rid of it?

I really can't make it my #1 browser, for I use the RSS built into Safari all the time, but i still like using it sometimes.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I haven't really used Camino previously but now that its at 1.0 I'll give it a whirl.

Generally I like Safari and keep FireFox around for testing and as a backup. I'd like FireFox more except it uses non-standard text fields and that drives me insane! As a programmer I edit text all day and I've been programmed to expect certain text editing behaviors. Damn you FireFox!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    I used to love Camino, but I stopped using it due to frequent crashes. Can anyone vouch for the latest version's stability?

I've been using FireFox as my primary browser and rarely use anything else.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    iBook911, I tend to run the 'nightly builds,' and I don't see the 'status bar' at the bottom you mention? There is a small strip down there that is used for re-sizing the window and that shows the link address when you move the mouse pointer over a link, but I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of that?

Rhoq, I've been using Camino for a while now, mostly running the nightly builds as I love "living on the bleeding edge" 8)! My point is to let you know it has been, and is, as stable as any other browser I've used! Actually, I'm quite surprised as I had expected to experience some anomalies due to the fact I am using the nightly builds, but so far haven't had a glitch ! Oh, and I 'Still' Love Camino .
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Is there a G5 optimized build of Camino, like Neil's versions of FireFox?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

However, I may still stay with Safari, for I prefer the smaller form that the top of the browser takes up in Safari. Do you know what I mean? Camino takes up a lot more of my screen at the top, showing less of the web pages.

If you choose Customize Toolbar in the View menu and choose "Use small icons" and "Icon only" in the button of the window, Caminos toolbar actually uses less space than Safari.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by bieder

If you choose Customize Toolbar in the View menu and choose "Use small icons" and "Icon only" in the button of the window, Caminos toolbar actually uses less space than Safari.

Thanks Bieder, much appreciated 8)! I have a feeling I'm going to have to make a "Camino tips and tricks" file so I won't have to rely on my memory to recall these nifty and useful tips ?!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I gave Camino a whirl after not using it for at least a year and it looks pretty good. I'll definitely play with it some more and add it to my cadre of browsers.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Optimized builds. Pick your flavor. Link.

And while you're at it, install CamiTools
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I have put Camino on both my 12" and G5 dual 2.0.

It is now primary browser for both.

I have had one lock up on my G5 yesterday, I think it was flash related. That, however, doesn't make me worried. Camino is fast and its GUI is very slick.

My browser line up now:

Camino

Fire Fox(about to check out the G5 optimized mentioned above)

Safari

Camino is totally worth another look.

flick.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Optimized builds. Pick your flavor. Link.

And while you're at it, install CamiTools

Sweetness! And CamiTools looks cool too. Something to try at work.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    I know this is petty but I really hate the Camino icon. It looks terrible in my dock. To make my non use of camino legitamite, I find that scrolling is choppy in Camino and text on buttons tends to not fit on them correctly like it does with Safari. I do like the button at the top right that allows you to get rid of the address bar and buttons. Safari really should have that.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sekio

I know this is petty but I really hate the Camino icon. It looks terrible in my dock. To make my non use of camino legitamite, I find that scrolling is choppy in Camino and text on buttons tends to not fit on them correctly like it does with Safari. I do like the button at the top right that allows you to get rid of the address bar and buttons. Safari really should have that.

I agree about the Icon.. you can, however, change it.

flick