Permissions that won't repair?! WTF?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Why is it that I can run a permission repair in Disk Utility that some NEVER get repaired? Even when I boot the machine from my OS disk I can go back right after the repair, run it again, and the same stuff is getting repaired again. There seems to be no end in sight. What's the deal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Why is it that I can run a permission repair in Disk Utility that some NEVER get repaired? Even when I boot the machine from my OS disk I can go back right after the repair, run it again, and the same stuff is getting repaired again. There seems to be no end in sight. What's the deal?

i used to notice the exact same thing, but only under panther. i haven't had teh same problem with tiger. mind you, i have a bunch of NEW problems with tiger, but permission problems isn't one of them.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

If you are referring to the log entries that say "We are using special permissions....", those are not repairs and are not errors. They are merely advisory notices.

When an app is installed with the Installer, the Installer leaves a xxxx.pkg or xxxxx.mpkg file in /Library/Receipts. This is a shell or skeleton of the original .pkg or .mpkg that has the actual files removed but the permissions left in place. All Permissions Repair does is set the files' and folders' permissions to those that are specified in the corresponding package in /Library/Receipts. If there are repeated "repairs" of the same files, it is probably the individual app's fault. If the app is doing goofy things like changing its own permissions while it runs, then every time OS X checks the permissions, they are not going to match what the app came with (i.e. what is in its Receipt).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Interesting to know. Too bad there's no way to turn off these notices. It's really deceiving.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Interesting to know. Too bad there's no way to turn off these notices. It's really deceiving.

And no, don't even think about trashing all receipts

even though it crossed your mind maybe. This wouldn't

fix anything, instead this would give disk utility the loop.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

And no, don't even think about trashing all receipts

even though it crossed your mind maybe. This wouldn't

fix anything, instead this would give disk utility the loop.

Actually it had not. I don't go poking around the system where I shouldn't.