Apple to host special event in Cupertino on Feb 28

Comments

• Reply 61 of 118
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I saw it with a wood case in California at the Homebrew Computer Club.These two guys who built the computer, I forget their names at the moment, brought it in, and were showing it around.

Could you, even then, feel the RDF...?!?
  • Reply 62 of 118
    "fun"

iPDA or tablet
  • Reply 63 of 118
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Could you, even then, feel the RDF...?!?

You know, it was weird. I had played with building computers such as Southwest Technical products. Even before that, MIT calculators. Other machines as well.

But this was something. It actually worked!

Woz always smiled. Anything you asked him, he answered, and smiled.

Jobs was always pushing his hair out of his eyes. He used to talk fast. He was very ernest. But he would keep quiet when Woz was talking.

I saw a bunch of other characters there as well.
  • Reply 64 of 118
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

You know, it was weird. I had played with building computers such as Southwest Technical products. Even before that, MIT calculators. Other machines as well.

But this was something. It actually worked!

Woz always smiled. Anything you asked him, he answered, and smiled.

Jobs was always pushing his hair out of his eyes. He used to talk fast. He was very ernest. But he would keep quiet when Woz was talking.

I saw a bunch of other characters there as well.

Very cool, thanks for sharing that...!
  • Reply 65 of 118
    "... at 10:00 AM Pacific Time at the Apple Town Hall on the company's Cupertino, Calif. campus..."

how many special events were held at the Campus (instead of a Center, Cinema, whereever)?

THAT makes me suspicous... soldered to the last minute? too big to handle? to hard to install (wireless.....)? so... über-Mac, only on the Campus it can be held a secret to the last minute? Apple is showing new decoration for their offices...??
  • Reply 66 of 118
    New iPod with touch and PDA like functions.

And/Or an Airport Express with video and 802.11n introduced across the board.
  • Reply 67 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by krzysiek

"fun"

iPDA or tablet

I'd just like to go on record as saying that if Apple ever does put out a new PDA, my bet for its name is either "iNote" or "MacNote", depending on whether they market it alongside the iPod or the MacBook. "Note" just has a certain ring to it - one syllable, implies small (or musical, I suppose), may even imply pen-based interface.

Hmmm...actually, I'll revise a bit: If they come out with a PDA, it will be called "iNote". If they come out with a tablet, it will be called "MacNote".

Huge ifs, yes, I know, but what better place to toss around meaningless speculation than in a thread in response to a news blurb about an Apple special event?
  • Reply 68 of 118
    Things I know.

1. It's not a music announcement.

From this we can deduce several things. It's near Apple's birthday. Apple was probably also cancelled the announcement (meant for macworld) because of lack of supply.

This leads me to believe Apple is releasing a product based around Intel chipset. Next, "fun new products" just doesn't really seem like a non-portable item. When I think "fun new products" I don't think something stationary. I don't know.

I believe it's the tablet announcement. The powerbook is out now, so Apple can move on to something fun. Not only that, Apple often submits it's patents at the last moment before a big annoucment. We've seen a bunch more web tablet patents lately.

I'd say 90% tablet, and 70% also a DVR/ViiV device, or both.
  • Reply 69 of 118
    Or maybe it's this:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/8657/

Steve love's the cubes... Media Cube?
  • Reply 70 of 118
    It could really be anything.

FUN makes it sound like something media related or similar, not something like another intel model or universal apps.

But things like this usually have multiple announcements together.

My guess is that the FUN refers to a new app, something along the lines of Front Row and Photobooth. Something basic and frivolous for users to play with.

Once that's covered, the "one more thing" can be virtually anything else, which can include the most basic and boring possibilities.
  • Reply 71 of 118
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Tablets and minis are "fun"? You guys need to get out more.

How about a joint announcement with Blizzard: Starcraft2 - and World of Starcraft! Now you're talking fun!
  • Reply 72 of 118
    The article claims this thing would measure 8 x 8 x 8 inches (20 cm side): a perfect cube.

As for comparison, Mac mini is 6.5" wide and 2" tall (16.5 x 16.5 x 5 cm) ; and the G4 Cube was 8 x 8 x 10 inches so this perfectly cubic aluminium cube would be smaller than the G4 cube (or about the same size if you remove the tranparent plastic cover which raised it).

But I imagine Apple would come with softer edges on a metal cube (like a dice), it would be better looking and more secure. Perhaps moulding aluminium in a more roundly design would be a bit too difficult, but how it hurts if you unintentionally smash metal acute corners!

If this cube is real, imagine it is the Apple media box you plug on your HDTV. A movie download service to watch online HD trailers and pay-per-view movies throught Front Row 2.0. A HDD to record TV shows. Airport Extreme (or better wifi 802.11n) built in to seamlessy stream media content from your mac to the TV accross rooms, plus a simple remote control. Wouldn't that be cool and fun in some way?

I imagine Apple cannot do such a thing inside a very small Mac mini enclosure (especially if they want a big 3.5" HDD and several AV analog and digital outputs like VGA, S-video, DVI, HDMI, 3 YUV + 2 RCA, a 3.5" jack and a SPDIF for sound. To reduce size, European could have SCART with an included S-Video/YUV adapter, and VGA/S-video/YUV could be amalgamated into this little Apple connector on board with its adapter).
  • Reply 73 of 118
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Or maybe it's this:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/8657/

What is that underneath it? cork?
  • Reply 74 of 118
    That looks like the box that the iPods come in.

(edit) OK, read the article, I call fake.
  • Reply 75 of 118
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Its the new iPod with 8" screen Steve told us about in episode 1 of Super Secret Apple Rumors!! It's gonna roxor for sure!
  • Reply 76 of 118
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

I'm still hoping for an intel DVR mini.

Please please please.

The Mini is a good guess to be updated using the word fun. At it's starting price point, and with all of Apples in house Applications included (iLife, and so on) it could easily be presented in a way, or as a way to make computing (switching) look inexpensive, and "Fun". With the right commercial advertising, and the Mac now using intel processors; inexpensive "First Time Mac's" to be commercialized using a "Fun" theme strategically to get users switching to a Mac is a good idea. The timing seems right.

With that in mind I'd say these could be updated:
    • Mac Mini

• iBook

• And Something new

My 2¢
  • Reply 77 of 118
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    c'mon, kids, stop with the cube nonsense...it's an Apple Design Award..

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=1&sa=N&tab=wi
  • Reply 78 of 118
    Quote:

Or maybe it's this:http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/8657/

http://www.panic.com/extras/designawards/

• Reply 79 of 118
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Finally! Apple's going to release their new Dell branded web tablet!

More likely Newton II, the Newtonia Pro!
  • Reply 80 of 118
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I haven't seen anyone mention a new shuffle. There were some expectation for it right before MacWorld in January.