MacBook Pro Benchmarks from Ogrady's Power Page

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Jason O'Grady from powerpage.org has gotten a MacBook Pro and has posted some new unpacking pictures as well as some initial benchmarks. So far the results look pretty god in camparison to a 1.5ghz PowerBook.

http://www.powerpage.org/archives/20...enchmarks.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by chilleymac

Jason O'Grady from powerpage.org has gotten a MacBook Pro and has posted some new unpacking pictures as well as some initial benchmarks. So far the results look pretty god in camparison to a 1.5ghz PowerBook.

http://www.powerpage.org/archives/20...enchmarks.html

Just saw that. Will wait for further testing, but that is kinda surprising. I was considering an iBook if one comes out in April. Now it better have a core duo.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Just saw that. Will wait for further testing, but that is kinda surprising. I was expecting it to do even better, 3x-4x faster. I was considering an iBook if one comes out in April. Man I'm hoping it packs a core duo.

• Reply 3 of 22
    he didn't indicate whether he had beam sync off or not, this slows down the user interface tests (numbers indicate that it was on)

see

http://www.macintouch.com/imacintel/bench.html
  • Reply 4 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Battery life doesn't look very impressive.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I haven't seen anything regarding MacBook Pro battery performance. Where did you read that it was unimpressive?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I haven't seen anything regarding MacBook Pro battery performance. Where did you read that it was unimpressive?

It's in that powerpage report.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It's in that powerpage report.

I can't find it?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    WTF? Another 2GB v 1GB comparison!!! No wonder the numbers aren't impressive
  • Reply 9 of 22
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I don't know how many times I have to tell you people that XBench sucks.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    The "report" also doesn't specify if it is the standard 100GB 5400 rpm or optional 100GB 7200 rpm drive. It was still nice to see all of the comparison pictures with the PowerBook & MacBook Pro & their respective power adapters.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    It's the standard 5400 rpm model.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Anyone seen OWC's pictos of the MacBook Pro innards yet?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Not sure where else to post this, but according to Hardmac.com, the MBP's CPU is soldered to the motherboard (groan!). FYI.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Not sure where else to post this, but according to Hardmac.com, the MBP's CPU is soldered to the motherboard (groan!). FYI.

were we expecting otherwise?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I wondering how well these Intel based macs compare to there windows counterparts, there are some Cinebench benchmark results on http://www.railheaddesign.com/ this is a cross platform application so it would be interesting to see whether the Intel chips are faster running on OSX or windows.

I've had no luck looking for results for the core duos running Windows Cinebench 9.5 via Google, if anyone has access to a windows core duo laptop then please download http://www.cinebench.com/ and post the results.

Thanks
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by deestar

I wondering how well these Intel based macs compare to there windows counterparts, there are some Cinebench benchmark results on http://www.railheaddesign.com/ this is a cross platform application so it would be interesting to see whether the Intel chips are faster running on OSX or windows.

Me too.. People seem to be obsessed with PPC vs Rosetta. But what about Mac x86 vs Win x86?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I'm glad. Apple's testing is done with THEIR OS X and THEIR circuitry. The Compatibility Lab in Cupertino, where ADC member developers can go to test their software on every conceivable Mac, does wonders for the reliability of the apps. The developers don't have to get emails from knuckleheads that wonder why the app blows up on their custom-chip machine.

Also, Mac apps frequently have CPU and graphics criteria for acceptable performance. Someone jacking around and putting a huge clockspeed on a slow bus could confuse the hell out of Apple's scripts that check for compatibility.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Someone jacking around and putting a huge clockspeed on a slow bus could confuse the hell out of Apple's scripts that check for compatibility.

shhh!

I'm looking forward to upgrading my 2.0 iMac to 2.3 GHz when the processors are available on the market.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

shhh!

I'm looking forward to upgrading my 2.0 iMac to 2.3 GHz when the processors are available on the market.

hope you're good a soldering
  • Reply 20 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    This is nice and all, seeing that the new one is faster than the two year old one (DUA) but it is time to see some windows benchmarks now: take Mathematica, install it on a MBP and a dual core intel PC notebook, run a float test, and int test, a 3-d test, calculate the square root of PI 7000 times whatever crazy shit can be cooked up by some hard core math/comp sci geeks and lets see how much faster OSX really is...or are the mac guys scared?