Analyst sees new Macs, Pro apps, full-length video at special event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Analysts for American Technology Research have started to weigh in with their product predictions for Apple's recently announced special media event, which is set to take place during the last day of February.

"We believe Apple will take the opportunity to round out its Intel Mac portfolio 6 - 9 months ahead of plan with a new widescreen consumer notebook (likely called "MacBook") and entry-level Mac mini, both of which will include a remote control and Front Row software," analyst Shaw Wu wrote in a research note released to clients early Wednesday morning.

Wu believes some of the strong selling points of the new consumer notebook will be its unique design, small size and widescreen display. He believes pricing should fall in the $1299-$1499 range.

The analyst also sees the possibility that Apple will announce that its Pro software applications like Aperture, Final Cut Pro, and Motion are now Intel native and may be ready as early as March. "We believe this is a good time to let its professional customers know," Wu wrote.

Rounding out his predictions, the analyst also thinks there is a "greater than 50 percent chance" that Apple will roll out the first full length feature films that will be available for download from the company's iTunes Music Store. He also sees Apple reaching the 1 billion iTunes downloads milestone by the time the Feb. 28th event rolls around.

While Wu also vouches knowledge of an ongoing development at Apple to produce a widescreen video iPod, he believes the device is not yet ready for prime time.

"Keep in mind the current video iPod has only been out since October and continues to be a top seller, the least seasonally impacted out of the iPod family," the analyst wrote. "Areas we would like to see the video iPod improve are its video battery life and more robust TV connectivity."

Despite his predictions, Wu is sure to point out that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs could have some unanticipated surprises tucked up the sleeve of his black turtleneck and "may make an announcement that no one anticipated."

"We will not attempt to guess what it is and let Steve surprise us," he added.

American Technology Research continues to rate Apple shares a "Buy" with a price target of $101.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Analyst bashing is cheap and easy, but it really does sound as if all this guy did was regurgitate Internet rumors to cobble together his "research note".
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Analysts for American Technology Research have started to weigh in with their product predictions for Apple's recently announced special media event, which is set to take place during the last day of February...

..."We believe Apple will take the opportunity to round out its Intel Mac portfolio 6 - 9 months ahead of plan with a new widescreen consumer notebook (likely called "MacBook") and entry-level Mac mini, both of which will include a remote control and Front Row software," analyst Shaw Wu wrote in a research note released to clients early Wednesday morning...

Despite his predictions, Wu is sure to point out that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs could have some unanticipated surprises tucked up the sleeve of his black turtleneck and "may make an announcement that no one anticipated."

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

I am guessing this is code for :"Steve Jobs is coming out of the closet and will

announce that Brokeback Mountain will street on iTunes same day it will be street on DVD. This will make it the first full-length film to be released on iTunes".
  • Reply 3 of 37
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    This guy is the very definition of Drinking the Kool-Aid.

Ugh.

Hello! "some fun new products" is NOT going to pan out to be the introduction for the long-brewing full-length movie streaming/download service. Or, very likely, *anything* much more than a new line of iPod accessories and/or special edition models.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Analysts for American Technology Research have started to weigh in with their product predictions for Apple's recently announced special media event, which is set to take place during the last day of February.

"We believe Apple will take the opportunity to round out its Intel Mac portfolio 6 - 9 months ahead of plan with a new widescreen consumer notebook (likely called "MacBook") and entry-level Mac mini, both of which will include a remote control and Front Row software," analyst Shaw Wu wrote in a research note released to clients early Wednesday morning.

Wu believes some of the strong selling points of the new consumer notebook will be its unique design, small size and widescreen display. He believes pricing should fall in the $1299-$1499 range.

The analyst also sees the possibility that Apple will announce that its Pro software applications like Aperture, Final Cut Pro, and Motion are now Intel native and may be ready as early as March. "We believe this is a good time to let its professional customers know," Wu wrote.

Rounding out his predictions, the analyst also thinks there is a "greater than 50 percent chance" that Apple will roll-out the first full-length feature films that will be available for download from the company's iTunes Music Store. He also sees Apple reaching the 1 billion iTunes downloads milestone by the time the Feb. 28th event rolls around.

While Wu also vouches knowledge of an ongoing development at Apple to produce a widescreen video iPod, he believes the device is not yet ready for prime time.

"Keep in mind the current video iPod has only been out since October and continues to be a top seller, the least seasonally impacted out of the iPod family," the analyst wrote. "Areas we would like to see the video iPod improve are its video battery life and more robust TV connectivity."

American Technology Research continues to rate Apple shares a "Buy" with a price target of $101.
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

That seems pretty accurate to me.. There are plenty of (12" iBooks & PowerBooks) for sale today & what better time to introduce their widescreen MacBooks counterparts or maybe replacements, who knows.. I just noticed that 12.1" laptops are selling in the PC market, maybe they'll replace the existing 12" iBooks & PowerBooks in the future.. As for the Mac mini, it's just a natural upgrade with frontrow & posibly some new features...

Looking forward to the event..
  • Reply 5 of 37
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    SOme people are making their money much too easy.

I could code an Applescript that could do any Apple analysists job for a fraction of the cost.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Apple will release inovative products with novel designs and features. There may be surprises. I make alot of money to tell you this.

Sincerely,

Dogbert Wu

Dogbert and Catbert Consulting INC
  • Reply 7 of 37
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I expect more "fun" and less "already assumed to be coming anyway."
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Several other analysts see ibooks coming as well as some other products. See link below

http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/22/tech...prod/index.htm
  • Reply 9 of 37
    I'm surprised this event won't be held on April 1 -- their big 3-0.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:

That is not a consumer pricepoint for laptops.

Consumers are expecting to pay $599-1199 for your basica laptop and more only if it's a high end unit. I doubt the iBook is going to have the features to warrant a $1500 pricepoint.

Final Cut Pro updates are coming at NAB. Apple has already told Pro users that they can get a UB version for $49. I really would like mr Wu's job because obviously you don't have to have much real information.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by SoopaDrive

I think this is a relatively low key affair I see no reason why it precludes a more high profile event to take place on April 1 - should Apple wish to. Indeed this may well be an event to show some 'filler' type products and update that would get lost at such a higher profile event.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    From the CNN article:

"He thinks that iBooks will come cheaper than the company's Macbook Pro line of Intel-based laptops, which replaced the company's Power Book line, targeted at professional users"

I could have told you that lol.....
  • Reply 13 of 37
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally by Shaw Wu via AppleInsider

Rounding out his predictions, the analyst also thinks there is a "greater than 50 percent chance" that Apple will roll-out the first full-length feature films that will be available for download from the company's iTunes Music Store.

[ View the full article at AppleInsider.com ]

I tried to download the free show from the music store last night. Even at it's totally sucky reduced resolution that thing took forever, and it was only a 40 minute TV show. 120 minutes worth of a decent resolution movie would take longer to download than it would to watch.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:

I made a comment back (not long after MacWorld I think) that offered my belief that Apple will try and figure out how to make some kind of announcement almost every month this year. They are pretty good at being in the news.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:

Don't worry, there will be ANOTHER event. I agree that this year we may see one a month on average.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

I made a comment back (not long after MacWorld I think) that offered my belief that Apple will try and figure out how to make some kind of announcement almost every month this year. They are pretty good at being in the news.

I agree. The amount of excitement they generated last September / October with their special events was unprecedented.

The new Apple is very different from the days when they would hold announcements for MWSF / MWNY - I think Apple realises they need to dripfeed the good news rather than have 2-3 major announcements per year.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Oh and pleeeease let their be new iBooks next week.

That is all.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    If Apple wanted to come out with a 13" widescreen iBook replacement this soon, they could've done it already. I continue to believe they'll focus on their "pro" grade Macs where they can charge a premium for the hardware. An iBook replacement makes more sense around summer just in time for the fall educational market.

That said, I'm still hoping they surprise all of us and release the iTablet.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

If Apple wanted to come out with a 13" widescreen iBook replacement this soon, they could've done it already. I continue to believe they'll focus on their "pro" grade Macs where they can charge a premium for the hardware. An iBook replacement makes more sense around summer just in time for the fall educational market.

Ummm...major (school) education purchasing happens before fall...spring actually.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

(emphasis mine)

Lame of Wu to exclude Powermac and Xserve upgrades from his idea of a rounded-out Intel Mac portfolio, even if his implied intention was to only include consumer products. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if he completely forgot and ignored them in his unanalytic parroting of the obvious.