Analyst sees new Macs, Pro apps, full-length video at special event

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I would place a lot of credibility on the wall street analysts predictions. I think iBook announcement very likely. Three analysts are predicting that. Seems that Apple likes to keep the street informed, probably to prevent stock hits from surprises. If I recall correctly ,the WSJ was one of the first media outlets to predict Apple's switch to intel.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

SOme people are making their money much too easy.

I could code an Applescript that could do any Apple analysists job for a fraction of the cost.

Then do it. Put the B-schooler out of work & make a few million while you're at it.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

That is not a consumer pricepoint for laptops.

Consumers are expecting to pay $599-1199 for your basica laptop and more only if it's a high end unit. I doubt the iBook is going to have the features to warrant a $1500 pricepoint.

Final Cut Pro updates are coming at NAB. Apple has already told Pro users that they can get a UB version for $49. I really would like mr Wu's job because obviously you don't have to have much real information.

I was wondering when someone was going to comment on the ludicrous price range for the iBook.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

If Apple wanted to come out with a 13" widescreen iBook replacement this soon, they could've done it already.

What do you mean ALREADY? They just started shipping macbook pros less than a week ago. Other than announcing them simultaneous with the MPB's and iMac's, I can't imagine how apple would have announced the ibook any sooner.

I do agree that the ibook replacement has to come in at most the same prices as the ones they're replacing. Raising prices would cause a BIG backlash.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Kasper, I'm begging you. Stop. Please stop pretending to be journalist by putting out these pathetic stories about Shaw Wu and his sorry-ass reports. Give us real rumors from your "Insiders" or rename this place to "AppleAnalyst."

Seriously, anymore I open up new articles around here thinking, "What kind of crap has Kasper come up with today? How is he going to write a bias into the article? How bad will the grammar be?"

I'm sorry, but it's true. I'm sure a lot of others are thinking it but don't want to come out and say it.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

That is not a consumer pricepoint for laptops.

Consumers are expecting to pay $599-1199 for your basica laptop and more only if it's a high end unit. I doubt the iBook is going to have the features to warrant a $1500 pricepoint.

I have yet to see a core-duo laptop under $1000 on the PC side. Now if these MacBooks are core-solo that's another story but otherwise it's not realistic to expect such low pricing. I think $999 for an entry-level model would be fine. Maybe $899 for education.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andrewjnyc

Analyst bashing is cheap and easy, but it really does sound as if all this guy did was regurgitate Internet rumors to cobble together his "research note".

Apparently we are all unpaid analysts.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

I have yet to see a core-duo laptop under $1000 on the PC side. Now if these MacBooks are core-solo that's another story but otherwise it's not realistic to expect such low pricing. I think $999 for an entry-level model would be fine. Maybe $899 for education.

I don't expect sub $1000 Duo Core laptops until Q4 or Q1 2007. Consumer sweet spot is $700-$1099. Apple can definitely create a great product in this range. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

I really would like mr Wu's job because obviously you don't have to have much real information.

Yeah, but watch out for his pigs...

;^p

I think iPod accessories sounds like a good guess...

Maybe the iPod Boombox, maybe the 'real' video iPod...

Hey, maybe they are gonna announce the new Apple MobileMe cellphone service, along with a bitching Apple designed cell/smart phone...

Mmm... MobileMe...
  • Reply 30 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

SOme people are making their money much too easy.

I could code an Applescript that could do any Apple analysists job for a fraction of the cost.

Tweak that statement and it is probably t-shirt-worthy:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/374d/
  • Reply 31 of 37
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

What do you mean ALREADY? They just started shipping macbook pros less than a week ago. Other than announcing them simultaneous with the MPB's and iMac's, I can't imagine how apple would have announced the ibook any sooner.

These are the same rumors/analysts who have been claiming for months that the iBook would be the first out the door. If they were that wrong before, I see no reason to believe them now.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:

I don't expect sub $1000 Duo Core laptops until Q4 or Q1 2007. Consumer sweet spot is $700-$1099. Apple can definitely create a great product in this range. I'm looking forward to it.

Dell has one out already. Inspiron E1705 without coupon.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...=19&l=en&s=dhs

17" display

1.67 ghz core duo

1gb ram

8x dual-layer burner

60gb hd

integrated graphics.

The cost of getting a x1300 in the macbook could be offset by going with the much smaller panel, plus by the time Apple ships them their will be about 20-30% pricecut on duos and everything else by then.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I can't help but think this event is all about entertainment. After all, isn't entertainment inherently supposed to be "fun?"

That said, I expect cool iPod stuff and maybe a Mac media center. If the media center is released, we will probably see full length films announced on the iTMS.

How cool would it be for Apple to release the "true video iPod," a Mac media center, and full length movies from iTMS? Fun, yes?
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Well at least he's right for sure on one of his predictions.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac on a Mac

Apple will release inovative products with novel designs and features. There may be surprises. I make alot of money to tell you this.

Sincerely,

Dogbert Wu

Dogbert and Catbert Consulting INC

LOL!

We're all professionals here!
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

http://www.shop.com/op/~TravelMate_4...3?sourceid=298

$999 for core duo. Apple may do solo on the $999 and save duo for $1299 (funny, just days ago people were saying you couldn't do duo for $1299). But if the ibooks are a month or more off, prices may drop even more for duos, making it possible even in the cheap one. Who would have thought that macbooks would go from 1.8 to 2.16 BEFORE they shipped?

I agree that there will be an entertainment related announcement. But after that, an ibook or mini could be the "one more thing".
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by tensdanny38

Dell has one out already. Inspiron E1705 without coupon.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Check that link again. They list a core solo in the $999.