Powersaver - iMac G3 350SL

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
iMac G3 350SL 512mb 6gb OSX4.4 Tiger

When powersaver kicks in to put the machine in sleep-mode, it goes into sleep then comes back up and then back into sleep and so on so forth.

Any idea how to fix this?

Settings:

Screen Saver = OFF

Turn off HDD whenever possible = NO

Sleep Mode @ 20mins

Screen off @ 5mins

**NOTE** the lithium battery is probably fried, does that affect this feature?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ...Does no one know the answer to this ?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    : BUMP :

Has anyone an idea how to fix this?

Andrew
  • Reply 3 of 5
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    I have an iMac DV 400MHz G3 that used to do this. With 10.3, even with all the energy saver settings off, it would still try to power down the hard drive over and over again. When I installed a larger hard drive and installed 10.4 it stopped, but I don't what actually fixed it. Maybe you could try resetting the PMU?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thnks for the reply.

PMU, is that APPLE+CTRL+P+R ? PROM ... is that what you mean?

The battery is dead on the computer so that may have somthing to do with it. I dunno.

Quote:

Originally posted by FotNS

I have an iMac DV 400MHz G3 that used to do this. With 10.3, even with all the energy saver settings off, it would still try to power down the hard drive over and over again. When I installed a larger hard drive and installed 10.4 it stopped, but I don't what actually fixed it. Maybe you could try resetting the PMU?

• Reply 5 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Freudian

Thnks for the reply.

PMU, is that APPLE+CTRL+P+R ? PROM ... is that what you mean?

The battery is dead on the computer so that may have somthing to do with it. I dunno.

Resetting the PMU is done by opening the little door on the bottom where the RAM goes, and near the battery you will see a little silver button on a black square base. With the power OFF and the computer UNPLUGGED, press that silver button ONCE ONLY for about 1 second.

After closing the door and plugging in the power, press the power-on and immediately hold down command-option-O-F.

At the prompt, type

reset-nvram

reset-all

and the machine will reboot. As soon as the reboot starts, hold down command-option-P-R to zap the PRAM.

If all that fails, it may be the battery. Why not put in a new battery?