Sound Chip in Ti Books

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking into buying a Powerbook, and was just wondering if anyone can tell me what the sound processor is on the motherboard of the TiBook.

Cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Why do you ask? What's your full question?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    It's a Snapper audio chip
  • Reply 3 of 10
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    It's a custom ASIC known as "Snapper". 16 bit @ 48kHz.

[Edit: applenut beat me to it by a minute. Isn't that always the way..? ]

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wujiwuji Posts: 5member
    Is that the same chip that they use on the motherboards of the PowerMacs?

(I'm into music making you see, that is why I ask.)

I fancy getting TiBook and get the Creative Extigy USB. Dom't know if software or drivers are out yet for OS X, but there should be by January.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by wuji:

<strong>Is that the same chip that they use on the motherboards of the PowerMacs?

(I'm into music making you see, that is why I ask.)

I fancy getting TiBook and get the Creative Extigy USB. Dom't know if software or drivers are out yet for OS X, but there should be by January.</strong><hr></blockquote>

what makes you say january?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Well... From the amount of stuff I have been reading about how apple is developing its technology, I figure we're going to see the 1Ghz, with an updated motherboard, in the next line of TiBooks around about that time. Its About six months away.

Plus I'll have the money to buy the gear, by then, so its perfect timing, in a sense
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Creative hasn't even managed to get OS X drivers out for their PCI card yet, much less another product... I wouldn't be surprised if they just stopped mac development all together by January.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Yup, you're probably right. I'm also having a look at what Miniman have to offer. And I think their gear seems impressive to say the least.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    percolatepercolate Posts: 14member
    Apple includes generic audio device drivers in OS X which work with some audio interfaces, including some USB ones. There isn't a centralized list of devices with OS X compatibility so you have to ask around. I would of course try Creative first then perhaps ask Apple's CoreAudio list. You can sign up for it on their

<a href="http://lists.apple.com"; target="_blank">lists page</a>. You could also try newsgroups or perhaps check around on sites like sonicstate.com.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    cheers, I'll give those a go.