Is this the video iPod??? (PIC)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

http://www.macshrine.com/2006/02/23/...d-video-shots/

Looks eerily familiar to the shot before the 5G was announced...

5G Shot: http://stationa.net/?p=162

Original site went down,

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/23/i...let/2#comments

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Speaker

http://www.macshrine.com/2006/02/23/...d-video-shots/

Looks eerily familiar to the shot before the 5G was announced...

This is obviously fake.

1. Giant wall plug coming out of the side of it (trying to be masked by a sticker)

2. The serial number is for a Mac XServe i believe.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    I bet that's it.

Or at the least that's what the form factor will be like. Apple's doing a lot of touch screen work (patents and all) and I expect to see the video iPod be mostly screen with some side or top mounted connections and buttons if any at all.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    FAKE !

Any full screen iPod Video would have the dock connector ON THE BOTTOM !

Imagine docking this and watching using the remote... You'd have to be laying your head down.

That one was easy...\
  • Reply 4 of 82
    Ummm, actually, it is on the "bottom". It's likely meant to dock like a regular iPod...which is vertically. This fits that profile, not to mention the new IR Docks have replaceable shells for different iPods. A landscape docking iPod wouldn't fit with this model of accessories....so it's NOT that easy.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    Quote:

Ummm, actually, it is on the "bottom". It's likely meant to dock like a regular iPod...which is vertically.

Yeah !...Vertically...Ok ... that's really good... Viewing movies "vertically"

I'm gonna tilt my TV 90 degrees too, so I can watch "vertically"...
  • Reply 6 of 82
    I don't design them, but this is the way the iPod has always been. This is likely the direction iPods are going, full faced screens. Vertically will be the way most people use the iPod most often. Landscape would be used for movie viewing. The iPod is still a music player first and foremost until Apple says differently. This would fit with that logic. Besides, is it really so hard to turn your iPod 90 degress? I wouldn't want to use it in landscape mode UNLESS I am watching videos. 75-80% of the time I'd be using it for music, which means vertical mode.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    Quote:

I don't design them

Thank God for that !

No, seriously:

If a full screen Video iPod is coming out it will be a different product. New docks, new accessories and so on.

It will be a VIDEO iPod with music, just like the iPod is a MUSIC iPod with video.

So the resting/docked position will be like a TV screen, hence this fake picture is all wrong !
  • Reply 8 of 82
    You can see the glow of the light blue and red test bars through the barcode sticker too ....
  • Reply 9 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by European guy

Thanks God for that !

No, seriously:

If a full screen Video iPod is coming out it will be a different product. New docks, new accessories and so on.

It will be a VIDEO iPod with music, just like the iPod is a MUSIC iPod with video.

So the resting/docked position will be like a TV screen, hence this fake picture is all wrong !

Ok, you win.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    seeing the glow of the test bars through the sticker almsot had me convinced. but if you zoom in, the black pixels at the top of the screen actually seem to overlap onto the device itself. and are in a very straight line. i'm no image expert, but zoom in on the top edge... looks pretty fake.

as for the positioning off the cable, i don't think it would be conclusive one way or the other.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Looks plausible to me.
  • Reply 12 of 82
    Couple of things:

1. Screen certainly looks legitimate. Looking at the edges a suggesting that a crappy, quickly taken photo doesn't have everything lining up quite right is just silly.

2. This device appears to be bigger (wider on the narrow size) than any current iPod (assuming the dock/cable connector is the same as the current one).

3. The model number sticker indicates either "MB7192/A" or "MB719Z/A". Currently all iPod model numbers follow this pattern: MA###LL/A ... given this last point, it is CONCEIVABLE that the "MB" and the "Z" (vs. "LL") indicate some pre-production models. Could also be evidence of a fake.

4. And this: http://stationa.net/?p=162
  • Reply 13 of 82
    Hmm. I think it's real.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

[B]Couple of things:

3. The model number sticker indicates either "MB7192/A" or "MB719Z/A". Currently all iPod model numbers follow this pattern: MA###LL/A ... given this last point, it is CONCEIVABLE that the "MB" and the "Z" (vs. "LL") indicate some pre-production models. Could also be evidence of a fake.

You crazy Americans don't understand that there are other markets. The LL merely indicates that it is an American version. The letters differ for every country, although I can't remember what Z stands for - in software I have a feeling that it is 'International', but someone can probably correct me if they can be bothered. To see what I mean, check the UK iPod site, the Australian one etc.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    A little googleling around for "apple m8719z/a" - the number on the sticker - reveals that it is the part number for a "Mac OS X 10.2 Server - 10 client license".

Too bad!
  • Reply 16 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

A little googleling around for "apple m8719z/a" - the number on the sticker - reveals that it is the part number for a "Mac OS X 10.2 Server - 10 client license".

Too bad!

But is is actually MB719z? If so, that could make sense, since M are shuffles, MA are current iPods, MB for iPod videos?
  • Reply 17 of 82
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Don't know if it's real, but the funkiness around the edges of the screen can be accounted for by still having the protective layer of plastic on it, reflections from which make the very narrow black bezel which surrounds the image area (consistent with current vid iPod) look grey in places.

Ah, to hell with it. I think it's real too.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    OMG!!! Its the iPhone-iPod-video-iNewtonTablet?!!
  • Reply 19 of 82
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Uh-oh. I spoke too soon. When you zoom into the upper left hand corner of the display, the leftmost black bar is clearly cutting into the what should be a corner with a very slight radius, with a very hard and completely p'chopped looking 90 degrees.

Take a look. It's not a "compression artifact" or "shadow", it fair screams "I have been pasted over the underlying image."

The other two visible corners, for comparison, sit properly within the bounds of the display area.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    i'm in 2 minds.

I have no doubt that its a genuine screen displaying the colour bars - the light shining through the label is just too realistic to be fake in any way. but whether its the actual ipod or not, i'm not sure. The surround is well made and certainly good enough to be from apple.

as for the portrait/landscape format. . . . why cant it be both? i.e. in ipod mode it sits vertically and docks vertically. when watching movies, it simply tilts 90deg and sits in landscape mode.?

a lot of the patent pictures would make that easy to implement.

that being said, to me the photo has been modified though. there definietly seems to have been some brush marks placed around the top right and bottom left corners to give a glow to the edges . . . . all i have done is modify the colour curves, levels and contrast to show up how the 2 corners seem to have an brush mark along them to make them glow....

original:

adjusted:

original also has an eMac colour profile to it.