Is this the video iPod??? (PIC)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    I sooo can't wait for this to be real.

• Reply 22 of 82
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    likewise.

like i say, whilst i'm sure its been photoshopped, i'm pretty sure it is an actual screen running live in the picture.

it would be sooo neat if it were true.

( but i'm hoping for an intel based mini to be announced . . .thats what I want )
  • Reply 23 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by fisha

that being said, to me the photo has been modified though. there definietly seems to have been some brush marks placed around the top right and bottom left corners to give a glow to the edges . . . . all i have done is modify the colour curves, levels and contrast to show up how the 2 corners seem to have an brush mark along them to make them glow....

Excellent debunking !

Why would anyone retouch a genuine picture ?????????

FAKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 24 of 82
    original debunking approach credit has to go to someone else on one of the linked pages on the original post who talked about the marks first.

i just implemented it.

i too dont see the point of shopping it in that way,
  • Reply 25 of 82
    It's fake in so many ways. I don't really care who discovered, implemented, analyzed.

Fake, bitches !
  • Reply 26 of 82
    Also, really minor, but isn't that a dual-firewire/USB cable they are using, rather than a sole USB one?

Why would they change back to this when all other ipod models are USB-only cable supplied?

I'm going with fake too... although I'm secretly hanging on to see if April brings a nice ipod surprise.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    U know what would be great?

Someone taking a real photo of an real prereleased product and applying small retouching artifacts "here" and there.

That would set the "apple rumour debunking business" back ten years in one blow.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    well, i'm going with genuine.

cause i'm the newguy and like to be shot down in flames!
  • Reply 29 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

U know what would be great?

Someone taking a real photo of an real prereleased product and applying small retouching artifacts "here" and there.

That would set the "apple rumour debunking business" back ten years in one blow.

You're just a twisted conspiracy lover ! Kidding...

Yes, it would be inteligent.

How about faking a picture of a fake product and then apply applying a programmed artifact that would look suspiciously meant to debunk the fake theory of the original fake product ?

• Reply 30 of 82
    No Apple legal team all over this yet?
  • Reply 31 of 82
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The widescreen aspect ratio is extremely close to a MacBook Pro. The dimensions are close to a 5G iPod, however this picture is about 7% too wide if it's the same length as a 5G. Otherwise it would need to be a little bit shorter than a 5G. My one biggest gripe is with the dock cable. Even with perspective taken into account, it doesn't seem quite centered.

I'm going to go with "Plausible" on this, Jamie and Adam.

Quote:

Why would anyone retouch a genuine picture ?????????

Every picture you see on the cover of every magazine in the world is retouched. Find a better argument, dude.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    I have a feeling its real.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    Also the site has been taken down.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

so now we have to wait for this forum to been taken down?

waiting...

still waiting...
  • Reply 35 of 82
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Ummmm, has it really? Worked a second ago for me.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    Um, I'm going with real on this one. I can't see any flaws and there's an intense amount of subtleties.

The "brush marks" fisha show run parallel to the screen look like artifacts of a backlight. Putting brush marks that go in straight lines like that would take a concerted effort, for no visible gain. So they're definately not brush marks.

If this was a fake, that person is a master photoshop-ist. That said, most master photoshop-ists focus on making things look GOOD, not real. The kind of subtleties in there are near impossible to do in Photoshop or even in Maya.

That said, it's probably a prototype that may never come out. But if the picture itself is fake I would be totally shocked.

Also, who would watch video on their iPod when it's in the dock right next to a computer? What's wrong with some people?
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Every picture you see on the cover of every magazine in the world is retouched. Find a better argument, dude.

Hey ...dude... this isn't a cover picture for ANY magazine.

This is supposed to be stealth picture taken by some deep undercover snitch.

Oh, I see...according to you, this the pic for the Apple iPod Video campaign, that Apple is gonna send out to the media worldwide.

Cover of Time, Newsweek, and so on...

You're really clever ! 8)

FAKE ! Willing to bet 10 000 USD on this.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    I'm inclined to think that it's real. A lot of the people who are first to cry "fake!" often don't fully account for little details, the past history of similar photos, and so on.

If it's from the same person (or people) who got the 5th-gen iPod image out in advance of its official announcement, it's a test-run unit. All the hallmarks are there, even down to the same handwriting style on the marked number. That cable connected to the dock may seem crude, but remember that a test unit doesn't have to use the finished product's cabling to work.

I won't discount the possibility that it's a very good fake, but there's lots of subtle bits that are hard to fake and the similarity checks out.

My only real questions now are about the functionality of the gear itself: does it really use a touchscreen? What capacities will there be? Will there be a motion sensor that adjusts the image depending on whether the iPod is horizontal or vertical?

Either way, I hope next week's news isn't just this and an iPod boombox, no matter how cool either of them is!
  • Reply 39 of 82
    It could be a real preproduction image, but not an Apple product.

See: http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/23/a...ortable-media/
  • Reply 40 of 82
    this IS NOT the video iPod. Period. This image has been around for almost 2 years. It surfaced last year as a "supposed video ipod". It's just a samsung LCD panel incased for use inside instrument panels.