Direct X, now for Macintosh (?)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Found on hardmac.com -

'Direct X runtimes (feb2006) ....

Supported OS: Macintosh, XP...etc'

If you goto the microsoft direct x webpage, goto latest direct x download page (dec2006) , at the bottom, where the 'what others are downloading' bit is, the feb 2006 download page link is listed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bazzler

Found on hardmac.com -

'Direct X runtimes (feb2006) ....

Supported OS: Macintosh, XP...etc'

If you goto the microsoft direct x webpage, goto latest direct x download page (dec2006) , at the bottom, where the 'what others are downloading' bit is, the feb 2006 download page link is listed.

Why did you post this crap? Direct X has not been ported to the Mac. Hardmac.com makes no such claim. There is no download for a Mac version of Direct X on the Microsoft web site. In the future when you make such a remarkable discovery, keep quiet about until someone who knows what he is talking about confirms it.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Take it easy, he just let us know, that it.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Why did you post this crap? Direct X has not been ported to the Mac. Hardmac.com makes no such claim. There is no download for a Mac version of Direct X on the Microsoft web site. In the future when you make such a remarkable discovery, keep quiet about until someone who knows what he is talking about confirms it.

Wow, what crawled up your butt toady?

While I agree that the subject line should have been something more like:

"DirectX now for the Mac?" (note question mark)

This posting is just as valid as the never ending 'hoax photo' type posts found in Future Hardware.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Look alittle harder..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

I forgot to put a question mark in my title.

I only mentioned Hardmac so as to credit them for the find.

You should really chill out.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

I forgot to put a question mark in my title.

I only mentioned Hardmac so as to credit them for the find.

You should really chill out.

You found nothing--unless you count a Hardmac reader's posting of what is clearly a typo on the Microsoft website. You visited the website, saw what is there, and made your erroneous post anyway. No question mark was needed because there was no question. Microsoft has not ported Direct X to the Mac. Microsoft has no Mac version of Direct X available for download. Microsoft has only a single version of Direct X available for download by users of various versions of Windows.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

You found nothing--unless you count a Hardmac reader's posting of what is clearly a typo on the Microsoft website. You visited the website, saw what is there, and made your erroneous post anyway. No question mark was needed because there was no question.

Good thing there are well-adjusted people like you around to set us straight.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Duckspeak

Good thing there are well-adjusted people like you around to set us straight.

I'm feeling safer at night now that this has been straightened out so forcefully. I mean, whoever heard of there being an error around here, or an enthusiastic post?

Peace out.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I like that it's on microsoft.com and the Macintosh is listed FIRST
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

You found nothing--unless you count a Hardmac reader's posting of what is clearly a typo on the Microsoft website. You visited the website, saw what is there, and made your erroneous post anyway. No question mark was needed because there was no question. Microsoft has not ported Direct X to the Mac. Microsoft has no Mac version of Direct X available for download. Microsoft has only a single version of Direct X available for download by users of various versions of Windows.

well i made the same erroneous posting over on the think secret boards as well; you should have a look there to see whay they have to say on the matter
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

well i made the same erroneous posting over on the think secret boards as well; you should have a look there to see whay they have to say on the matter

The thing that impresses me about the ThinkSecret discussion is that most of the posters are actually thinking. The concensus there is that the inclusion of "Macintosh" in the list of OS's is a typo or an inadvertant check-off in a Microsoft list. One poster reminded the forum that the only download available is a Windows .exe file, which the Mac cannot run except via an emulator. It is also instructive that some of the posters informed the forum that third-party developer MacDX is working on a Mac port of Direct X and that Microsoft itself is working to make Direct X cross-platform. These are both efforts which may pay "dividends" in the future, but certainly not in the present.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    ...dbl post
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I don't care what anyone says...Mr. Me is right.

DirectX doesn't exist on Mac. It hasn't been ported. And won't for a while if ever. It's a typo on MS's part...simple as that.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    DirectX for Mac may not exist but DirectX on PPC IS working very nicely indeed right now on every XBox360 - and of course the dev kit was a G5 with a working copy of PPC DirectX on it.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chopper3

DirectX for Mac may not exist but DirectX on PPC IS working very nicely indeed right now on every XBox360 - and of course the dev kit was a G5 with a working copy of PPC DirectX on it.

No arguments there. There are also lots of games for the PPC (GameCube, Xbox 360, soon Revolution and PSP3)...