Is this the video iPod??? (PIC)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Speaker

Looks like an LCD video monitor we use at work to mirror powerpoints to the podium so the speakers dont need to look over their sholder to see what slide is up (most of the big-wigs HATE the idea of a laptop on the podium, but a 3-inch LCD is not nearly as intrucive.)

I will see if I can find the brand and some pics tomorrow at the office

Almost forgot...FAKE
  • Reply 42 of 82
    Well of course it is a fake folks!

Unless of course it is not.

Ah...life is fun again.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

this IS NOT the video iPod. Period. This image has been around for almost 2 years. It surfaced last year as a "supposed video ipod".

I have no memory of this. DO you have a link?

Anyone else than webmail remember this image from old rumours.?
  • Reply 44 of 82
    I know a thing or two about photography and cameras. I am going to say that the "brush marks" are actually an artifact of the camera sensor known as blooming. It happens when the sensor is overexposed to a high degree. Depending on the camera, blooming can be a bluish or purpleish color and I see that in the photo. It has something to do with current leakage from one sensor pixel to adjacent pixels. Usually it happens on a high contrast border which is the case here. The effect is normally confined to just a few pixels in width but cheap cameras can yeild worse results. Secondly, I can't think of any reason such an artifact would be introduced in photoshop. In fact, I would expect much more perfection.

My photo gallery - http://www.pbase.com/eclecticphoto

Quote:

Originally posted by fisha

i'm in 2 minds.

I have no doubt that its a genuine screen displaying the colour bars - the light shining through the label is just too realistic to be fake in any way. but whether its the actual ipod or not, i'm not sure. The surround is well made and certainly good enough to be from apple.

as for the portrait/landscape format. . . . why cant it be both? i.e. in ipod mode it sits vertically and docks vertically. when watching movies, it simply tilts 90deg and sits in landscape mode.?

a lot of the patent pictures would make that easy to implement.

that being said, to me the photo has been modified though. there definietly seems to have been some brush marks placed around the top right and bottom left corners to give a glow to the edges . . . . all i have done is modify the colour curves, levels and contrast to show up how the 2 corners seem to have an brush mark along them to make them glow....

original:

adjusted:

original also has an eMac colour profile to it.

• Reply 45 of 82
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I have no memory of this. DO you have a link?

Anyone else than webmail remember this image from old rumours.?

I don't recall this either. This image is new to me.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    Daffy Duck,

I wont disagree with the blooming being a possibility, but if that were the case, then I would expect it to fade away smoothly as it gets further from the corner where the blooming is at a maximum. Instead, it stops suddenly. Too suddenly.

The brush marks dont look smooth, but i suspect that the smoothness along the brushmarks edges are lost in the JPEG compression rather than being badly implemented.

webmail:

where is the previous image then?
  • Reply 47 of 82
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    Decided to mess about with this image, and have some fun.

I like the idea of the scroll wheel 'fading in' when activated.

Also, when you watch a movie you hold it landscape, turn it portrait if you like and the user interface rotates automatically.

The scroll wheel would stay still as you turn the iPod around, like a compass...

link to animated GIFs

• Reply 48 of 82
    Some of the worst cases of blooming I have seen are sunset photos. There was no smooth boundary, in fact they had a fairly hard boundary. I guess the real point is that image sensors can respond in many different ways to overexposure (clipping) depending on design and I think that's what's happening in this photo.

Quote:

Daffy Duck,

I wont disagree with the blooming being a possibility, but if that were the case, then I would expect it to fade away smoothly as it gets further from the corner where the blooming is at a maximum. Instead, it stops suddenly. Too suddenly.

The brush marks dont look smooth, but i suspect that the smoothness along the brushmarks edges are lost in the JPEG compression rather than being badly implemented.

webmail:

where is the previous image then?

• Reply 49 of 82
    Is it just me or does the cord coming out of the device look more like an extension cord I have lying around.

If you look closely at the wire coming out and then look at the picture of the ipod dock connector in my picture the veritcal lines that are on the wire in the original picture a way bigger than those on a real dock connecter. Granted, this may be a USB/Firewire cable but I still do not think the proportions are correct.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    TB,

You have pointed out the one thing that seemed suspicious to me as well.

However, I was wondering if instead of a firewire/dock connector, that line out could be a Video/Sound out connector.

This one does have me squirming....

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

P.s. Kormac must be too busy working on this to post.

Edit:

P.p.s. Wouldn't a touch-sensitive screen be nutso bumping around in one's pocket and get scratched up by thumbs scrolling around?
  • Reply 51 of 82
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

P.s. Kormac must be too busy working on this to post.

Edit:

Here, I'll help....

It is the i**** for sure!
  • Reply 52 of 82
    another proof-of-fake:

• Reply 53 of 82
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

another proof-of-fake:

Yep...

Google Translated Linky

Dave
  • Reply 54 of 82
    DID ANYONE EVER THINK THIS WAS REAL???

I knew it was a fake from the instant I saw it and said so as soon as it was poster. I can't believe that this got so much discussion.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    well duh - it is the speculation / future part of the forum

what else do you expect? stoney silence after the first person says " i think its fake " ?
  • Reply 56 of 82
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

another proof-of-fake:

OMG I saw that in the back of an elevator this week!

The way the screen reveals the traditional click wheel is perfect so as to preserve tactile input! This thing is legit fo sho!

• Reply 57 of 82
    Quote:

well duh - it is the speculation / future part of the forum

what else do you expect? stoney silence after the first person says " i think its fake " ?

No, but this thing has a wall plug sticking out of the side of it for god's sake. It's a terrible attempt.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    actually . . . i bet thats the power cord which links to the battery to run the thing

roll on the 28th . . . .

• Reply 59 of 82
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't see Apple putting a touchscreen in an iPod EVER unless technology changes to make it as tough as a current iPod screen. The thing would almost have to have a trackpad-like quality to it where it's hard and solid but picks up movement from fingers. I don't see how you could put that in front or behind of a screen and get it to work well. Maybe it's Apple's job to figure that out.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucida

Whoa fake fake fake fake fake!!!!!!

Just kidding. I think this actually real.