Seating for Feb 28 event limited, Mac mini expected

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    If there is a new mac mini, I hope its got a decent video card (or an option to upgrade it). Maybe also an option to have a dual core mac mini.

- Mark
  • Reply 22 of 49
    Circumstantial (but possibly corroborative) evidence:

Future Shop has all its available Mac minis (1.25 GHz English and French, 1.42 GHz French) listed as clearance items, and are on sale from their regular prices. These are the 512 MB models, not leftovers from earlier.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    i agree with elwood56. except they'll also release an updated airport express that supports video to deliver the music to the boombox and video to the mac media center. the media device and boombox won't act like a hub, that would cannibalize their airport devices market.

then airport expresses will move off shelves, ppl can then later buy the boombox and media center as they see fit. that'll bring money in like crazy as ppl undoubtly have to at least buy the airport device, then media or boombox device also. at the end of the day, their a business - its about money.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by elwood56

Here's what I think the "boombox" would be like.

The "boombox" is basically an Airport, with AirTunes capabilities. It is different from the AirportExpress in that the "boombox" comes with a remote, build-in speakers, and a display. You can stream music from a mac to the "boombox" just like you do with the Airport Express, but you can also control it directly from the living room because of these added features.

Furthermore, the "boombox" can receive video streams from a mac or the internet and feed into a TV set. You can now listen to music, watch videos, movies, etc. that are stored on a mac without leaving the living room. the Front Row will be the interface that appears on the TV.

Something like this should not be very difficult to be built, and my guess is that it will be something like $300. Yet it can basically turn a mac into a media center in a snap.

This could be really really big, if Apple can build a movie distribution (streming) system just like the iTunes music store.

The iTunes will manage the contents so the "boombox" will be available to PC users as well, and Apple can dominate the movie distribution business, just like they did with the on-line music distribution.

I think something similar like that.

I think the devie would come with a touch screen and iPod slots so when your at an outdoor party people can just slid their iPods in your boombox and you can have an awesome party.

The Music is accessed via a touchscreen interface and looks similar to iTunes and the the iPod.

Maybe the Boombox would have a build to order option for a harddrive so the BoomBox also becomes kiind of an iPod.

When your at home the Boombox wirelessly syncs with your iTunes library and when your at parties instead of having 20 slots in the boombox for the 20 dozen iPods that are there.

There are only like 3 slots and the contents of these iPods can be copied to the boombox harddrive. Also since the Boombox would then anway havea USB 2.0 plug for the Shuffle it would be awesome if then the Boombox is also compatible with other MP3 Players (unfortuanetly not other DRM) but this would be pritty cool, get non iPod owners to buy the Boombox then they would see how awesome the Boombox is and then buy more Apple products.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

If there is a new mac mini, I hope its got a decent video card (or an option to upgrade it). Maybe also an option to have a dual core mac mini.

- Mark

I'm betting on Intel Integrated Graphics with shared video memory.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    I'm seeing a photography related announcement.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

I hope not, unless the mini switches to dual channel memory. Even then, that's a bit distasteful. When I decided to buy a mini, that was one of the things that helped differentiate the mini from similarly priced competitors. Too often, the shared graphics seems to bog down a computer unacceptably.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    why not have a native apple built "photo shop" alternative.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

why not have a native apple built "photo shop" alternative.

Adobe
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

- Mark

If it is to be positioned in the living room it would also need a real Hard Drive, 7,200rpm and good size 250gig, plus the already mentioned good graphics card + Core Duo. Maybe with the slightly larger size of the HD, they could add a second memory slot.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Adobe

what i meant was, i would think that apple realizes it's growth and maintenance in several fields requires certain software, wouldn't it have a program to fill the void in case it was being held hostage by those software companies, e.g. MS and adobe. then for apple to push it's high end powermacs it can't until a native PS is available. where is the motivation for this development for native mac intel software?? couldn't MS and adobe gang up on apple. how do they protect themselves...strategic aliances?...develope it's own.

I"m surprised that apple doesn't have it's own emulation software or align with a company that can other than MS
  • Reply 32 of 49
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I would go with the idea that apple has a PS killer in the design lab locked down in the bowles of infinite loop. Also there I would conjecture is a full fledged MS emulator that doesn't need windows and a full featured Office App.

Right now, Apple is focused on gaining market share and mindshare.

If Adobe or MS make any overtly hostile moves then Apple will trot out these Apps.

Till then I believe that Steve will continue to mock PS on Apple hardware and improve the editing in Aperture.

Slowly, and incrementally.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I sure hope the boombox thing is in the $300 range because I just bought the Logitech mm50. If Apple puts out a system in the same price range as what i just paid, I will curse them all the way to the return counter.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Do you think that Asteriod project will surface at this event too?
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Hasn't it already? See iControl

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...trol-main.html

Garageband has direct support for that.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

That's my bet too. Perhaps to offset the cost of the more expensive Intel CPU and keep the same price points.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

My guess is that something like this would wait until Intel is shipping the ultra low power CPUs that are scheduled for later in this year. I mean that if it has been waiting this long, why rush it now, why not wait for the best hardware platform to support the project, rather than cripple it from the beginning.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    so are macbooks now "out of the question" or is there still a chance. i just want one so bad!
  • Reply 39 of 49
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aidanp

so are macbooks now "out of the question" or is there still a chance. i just want one so bad!

le's hope for a "one more thing"
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by elwood56

Here's what I think the "boombox" would be like.

The "boombox" is basically an Airport, with AirTunes capabilities. It is different from the AirportExpress in that the "boombox" comes with a remote, build-in speakers, and a display. You can stream music from a mac to the "boombox" just like you do with the Airport Express, but you can also control it directly from the living room because of these added features.

Furthermore, the "boombox" can receive video streams from a mac or the internet and feed into a TV set. You can now listen to music, watch videos, movies, etc. that are stored on a mac without leaving the living room. the Front Row will be the interface that appears on the TV.

Something like this should not be very difficult to be built, and my guess is that it will be something like $300. Yet it can basically turn a mac into a media center in a snap.

This could be really really big, if Apple can build a movie distribution (streming) system just like the iTunes music store.

The iTunes will manage the contents so the "boombox" will be available to PC users as well, and Apple can dominate the movie distribution business, just like they did with the on-line music distribution.

Your basically descirbing an eyeHome by ElGato as well as other media streaming devices coming out, which puts the price point at around $199. A $299 model might be a hard sell to a market that is going to be competing with Blue Ray and HD DVD as well as other streaming solutions. Apple does have an advantage in the iTMS if they can make it work, but they will need to reach "critical mass" for the product ASAP if they want to control the market forces like they do with the iPod and iTMS so the more competative price would be advisable.