Poll: Intel Mac Mini Purchase Interest

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Assuming this news is true and the price / feature ratio is 'about' the same as it is now (or better), how many of you would jump at getting a new Intel Mac Mini?

I wanna gauge how quickly I should get to the Apple store...

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Shouldn't there be a Maybe/Undecided yet option?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

Shouldn't there be a Maybe/Undecided yet option?

Agree.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    depends.

What makes it any different than any other mac?

Front row?

DVR?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

depends.

What makes it any different than any other mac? Front row? DVR?

Assume ... the feature ratio is 'about' the same as it is now

And yes I should have included a 'fence-sitter' choice. Maybe the mods could add a 'Maybe' choice if they get a chance...

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Since I'm in the market for an affordable Mac, I'd buy one immediately as long as the feature set is decent enough for everyday use.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Its a nice quiet unit. I had the first rev. of the mini and loved it. I upgraded to the iMac but the mini was very nice while i had it.

I would buy another if it could attach to the TV.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    It depends obviously on what it's offering and for what price.

If anyone's read my one-note posts lately about the mini (people keep ignoring them, I don't know why... \ ), and what it needs (particularly software-wise) to become a real media/digital-life hub, after reading up on all the details of the technology, etc., I now think it pretty unlikely that that can be offered in a mini package for a mini price today. If they do come out with it on Tuesday, I'll buy it immediately as well as the biggest monitor it'll support, an airport express, a BT keyboard, and maybe a fw other things from Apple just in gratitude.

If it's just an updated mini, I'll only buy if my current tower dies (a distinct possibility given its age). I may buy it if it gets updated and the price drops a buck. If it sports a core duo, a 3.5" drive, and a second RAM slot, I'll probably buy it as a second computer (or, rather, a first), depending on how necessary/useful my wife thinks it is. Throw in a 128MB fully-core-video-compliant graphics card, and I'll actually try and convince my wife that it's a good deal.

Other than that, I'm planning on buying my mini media monster right after MWSF07.

If Apple's big news is that it is offering the mini in "Blue Dalmation," I'm selling my Apple stock...
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I'm thinking about buying one in order to join the "Boot Windows on the Intel Mac" project. But I have to analyze the ol' budget, since I did just buy a PPC iMac recently. (I have some single threaded, legacy PPC apps that are no longer supported).

It would be nice to have a Mac mini as my windows computer.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    i've been holding out for the intel mac mini since early december . . .

so i do hope they release it.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by fisha

i've been holding out for the intel mac mini since early december . . .

so i do hope they release it.

Me, too. I have a Cube running in my kitchen that's getting a bit old. I've wanted a mini for some time, but I was waiting first for a Core Image capable video card and then for an intel upgrade that seemed right around the corner.

I'd really like to see them release this. I hope the price is the same, but the add a better graphic card.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    yeah - all i'm waiting for is a slightly better graphics and the intel setup for some future proofing ( and hopefully 2 ram slots ).

i dont expect it to be the fastest thing on the planet, but just having the Intel setup.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    You forgot the alternate answer. "I will buy one when I have the cash". So I went with the reviews answer because that seemed closest. But I would but a new mini, or even better an Apple iHome cube.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    For me, the one thing it MUST have is Core Duo - anything else is a bonus.

David.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I already have a Mac mini but in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend anybody get one unless they wanted the form factor and they already had a more powerful Mac.

I believe that the money is better spent towards either an iMac or iBook/MacBook especially if you customize your machine with wireless, more RAM, DVD burner, etc. There are too many optional features that come standard on the other machines to ignore, and you get substantially better performance to boot. I don't expect either of those aspects to change with any future Mac mini revision unless the system becomes a media center.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Methinks a Core Duo mini would make a mighty fine web server.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Mac-Mini-Blade-servers ?

• Reply 17 of 20
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nightshift

I already have a Mac mini but in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend anybody get one unless they wanted the form factor and they already had a more powerful Mac.

I believe that the money is better spent towards either an iMac or iBook/MacBook especially if you customize your machine with wireless, more RAM, DVD burner, etc. There are too many optional features that come standard on the other machines to ignore, and you get substantially better performance to boot. I don't expect either of those aspects to change with any future Mac mini revision unless the system becomes a media center.

I agree, the most important function of the Mac mini is to get people to take a look at the mac platform in the first place.

If you want bang for your buck, buy an iMac and if had to be more than luggable, an iBook/MacBook.

If they ad some of these extra functionalities to a Mac mini formfactor, the price gab will almost vanish. you can throw an iPod in the mix, that's all.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    I'm buying one for my big tv...
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

For me, the one thing it MUST have is Core Duo - anything else is a bonus.

David.

Agreed.

To me, a 1.6GHz Core Duo under 800 smackers is an instant buy.

Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

I'm buying one for my big tv...

Same. I haven't got a DVD player so this little bundle of joy would allow me to play music, DVD movies, view pictures, play old console games, etc.

But...I only ask one thing: Core Duo, plz, kthxbye. If it doesn't say 'Core Duo' on teh box, I'll skip it and wait for the next PowerMacs (or whatever they'll be called.)
  • Reply 20 of 20
    i'm running a 1st gen mac mini 1.42 Ghz G4....no superdrive..the logic board fried while watching a avi of MST3k after 2 weeks of ownership...

it was replaced...smooth sailing...

alas....

if it has a fast processor, 100 GB HDD and superdrive for a reasonable price..

it's bought.

AS SOON as the apple store goes back online.