-Built-in Bluetooth

-2 megapixel camera, PictBridge compatible

-$399 for 40 GB, $499 for 80 GB

MacBook

Your life. Accelerated.

-Intel Core Solo or Core Duo processors

-14.1" widescreen

-25% thinner and 15% lighter than 14" iBook G4

-$799 for Core Solo 1.66 GHz/Combo Drive; $899 for Core Solo 1.66 GHz/SuperDrive; $1099 for Core Duo 1.66 GHz/ SuperDrive

Mac mini

Switching has never been easier.

-Intel Core Solo or Core Duo processors

-All models have Front Row; Core Duo models have HD DVR

-$399 for 1.66 GHz Core Solo/Combo; $499 for 1.66 GHz Core Solo/SuperDrive; $699 for 1.66 GHz Core Duo/SuperDrive/DVR; $799 for 1.83 GHz Core Duo/SuperDrive/DVR

Mac-in-a-box Kits

The quickest way to experience the digital lifestyle for just $899.

-Mac mini kit: Includes 1.66 GHz Core Duo DVR Mac mini, 15" flat-panel display, keyboard, and Mighty Mouse

-MacBook Kit: Includes 1.66 GHz Core Solo Combo Drive iBook, 512 MB iPod shuffle, and custom carrying case

-Available exclusively at Target stores in the US

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    I think you've got some things going the right way, but I have to bring in a dose of realism.

iPod hub: I don't think Apple will have Bluetooth or a camera. A 30 GB iPod is $299 without that, so going to a 40 GB drive with a larger screen is already pushing it (especially if there's a larger-capacity battery).

MacBook: Too cheap for the features, I think, and a 13.3" screen would probably be better if it's not more expensive than the 14" at the same resolution. I'm more inclined to think that we'll see $999, $1299, and $1499 models (possibly omitting one of these price points depending on costs).

Mac mini: It's extremely doubtful that Apple would actually be able to lower the price with what's likely a more expensive CPU. Same prices as before but just with Intel chips instead, maybe. I do think Core Duo as a feature on more expensive models may be likely, though.

Mac-in-a-box: ...no. Apple doesn't do bundles, just sales. And a 15" display is out - Apple moved its display size up, not down, and if they didn't make a 15" display then they'd have to arrange a deal with someone else. It's not worth the effort, especially not when Apple already has a display-and-Mac combo called the iMac.

Oh, and one more thing... don't expect to see all (oi perhaps even any) of these at the Feb. 28 event. You'll probably only see one or two of them.

Also, don't rule out that iPod boombox or a replacement shuffle!
  • Reply 2 of 80
    On April 1st Apple will celebrate it's 30th anniversary. I think they will do something significant to mark it's passage. At the risk of being an April fool, I will make the following predictions:

Just after passing the one billionth song on the iTMS, Apple will announce a new service and device for viewing movies, downloadable (and purchasable) from the ITMS. (Now the iTunes Media Store)

The device is an Airport Express on steroids, capable of streaming video at standard definition television resolutions. The device can act as a stand alone set-top box with just enough processing power to access the iTMS and purchase (or rent) movies and just enough storage to cache the stream for display on the connected TV. Online storage of purchased songs or movies will be provided with .mac "lite", with greater functionality offered for a full subscription to .mac for Apple users.

It will run OS X "lite" with Front Row as it's primary stand alone user interface, but be capable of doing Web TVish things like email, surfing the web, and posting your photos online. Being bluetooth equipped, it will recognize Apple's wireless keyboard and mouse

Of course if you have a Macintosh it will provide your Internet connection and be fully controllable from OS X. Wirelessly share your music and videos with your stereo (or Apple wireless speakers) and your television. It will also work with Windows computers running iTunes, but with less functionality.

True PVR capability will not be built in, other than limited time shifting (pause, replay, and 30 second skip?) of broadcast signals. This feature is limited by the small (NAND?) built in storage capacity when used stand alone. With a computer (Windows or Mac) within Airport range, the computer's hard drives will increase this capacity.

Firewire will be built in for interfacing with firewire equipped TVs or for attaching additional storage.

But wait! There's One More Thing:

The Newt, a TiVo for your pocket with PDA functionality running OS X "lite". It will act as a command center and ultimate TV remote when in range of the above device.

When taken out of the home it will run it's own versions of iLife and synch with your .mac account whenever you find a WiFi hotspot. It will play music and video, or show off your photos.

It is "Mobile Me", the Newton redone for Apple's 30th anniversary.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    Fruity coloured iPod shuffles...

That SMELL like FRUIT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 4 of 80
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    All I want is a 12.1" WXGA or 13.3" WXGA MacBook (PRO) or not..! I think is what's lacking from the portable line up, everything else is just going to have Intel inside...
  • Reply 5 of 80
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    iPod Boombox:

Wireless - links to your Airtunes library

Powerful - Harmon Kardon engineered

Docks - fits any iPod

Remote Control

6" LED display - readable from across the room

• Reply 6 of 80
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    nice predications and nicer prices...

including the graphic cards and Duo CPU may push the prices up ... also there savings for Apple in regards to R&D ... teardown Mac Book Pro shows most of the componets based on Intel.

hope macbooks/mac minis will be released in good price points...
  • Reply 7 of 80
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucida

iPod Boombox:

Docks - fits any iPod

Remote Control

that smells real to me
  • Reply 8 of 80
    MacBook/Mac Mini price points will remain same (considering 15" MacBook Pro price points did not change) but we might see

Larger & 3.5" HDD

Ability to change 7.2K RPM Drive - MacBooks

Larger VRAM 64/128 MB - lower grade than Pro Models

Faster CPUs - atleast 1.67Ghz Duo
  • Reply 9 of 80
    Here in singapore, Apple retail store giving free 512 MB for 12 & 14" iBooks and promo on 17" as well

sign of new iBooks oops MacBooks?

four more days
  • Reply 10 of 80
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    iLife for Windows. Yup, its time.

First part of the 'transition'... but don't think transition of OS X to Windows, think Leopard running Windows Apps natively. No OS of Jobs would change its spots...just have changed spots...

• Reply 11 of 80
    Quote:

iPod Boombox:

Docks - fits any iPod

Remote Control

That sounds pretty good to me, but I see a ten inch screen rather than a six inch one.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

iLife for Windows. Yup, its time.

First part of the 'transition'... but don't think transition of OS X to Windows, think Leopard running Windows Apps natively. No OS of Jobs would change its spots...just have changed spots...

I don't think so. iLife is one of the prime lures from windows.

Also-- running Windows apps natively would be suicide for apple software development.

I'm calling you wrong on both counts.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    My predictions for tuesday:

-No "the real" iPod Video stream.

-At least four different versions of "I am leaving this platform"

-13 inch agony.

-2.33 ghz dual bitching.

-Intel Mac Mini(mal) meeting of expections.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand

80 GB of "Apple is doomed" in pristine 192 kbps AAC or Apple loseless of your choice.

Just an update of the ususal stuff
  • Reply 14 of 80
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

My predictions for tuesday:

-No "the real" iPod Video stream.

-At least four different versions of "I am leaving this platform"

-13 inch agony.

-2.33 ghz dual bitching.

-Intel Mac Mini(mal) meeting of expections.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand

80 GB of "Apple is doomed" in pristine 192 kbps AAC or Apple loseless of your choice.

Just an update of the ususal stuff

Getting a little jaded in your old age aren't ya? 8) oh and I'm not saying you're not 100% on the money cause I think you are...

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Along with a 13.3-inch widescreen MacBook, I think Apple is bound to release a 15.4-inch MacBook at some point that bridges the gap between the $1,199 MacBook and the $1,999 MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

6" LED display

LED displays suck, you won't really get "viewable accross the room", even with a backlight - make it vacuum fluorescent instead.

http://www.noritake-elec.com/colors.htm
  • Reply 17 of 80
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    How would a new Mac Mini or iBook qualify as "fun"?
  • Reply 18 of 80
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    Feb 28 clue is "fun".

I will therefore predict Apple will announce the availability of new and downloadable games for the existing iPod, an iPod gaming SDK, and an attachable game controller accessory.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Feb 28 clue is "fun".

I will therefore predict Apple will announce the availability of new and downloadable games for the existing iPod, an iPod gaming SDK, and an attachable game controller accessory.

That would be fun.

Also, a good way to beat Sony in the PSP arena.

Especially if the SDK would allow for much of the functionality of the homebrew PSP 1.0 fun-ness!
  • Reply 20 of 80
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

That would be fun.

Also, a good way to beat Sony in the PSP arena.

Especially if the SDK would allow for much of the functionality of the homebrew PSP 1.0 fun-ness!

Sort of doubtful that Apple wants that kind of fun, but it is a prediction.

For it to be such a general purpose machine, a prospective iPod video will likely need a seriously juiced up PortalPlayer SOC on the order of 300 MHz, maybe more. Not quite sure, but I do believe it'll need something like dual 325 MHz Xscale CPUs to compete against the PSP's MIPS R4000 CPUs. Maybe Intel can cut Apple and PortalPlayer a sweet deal, but doubtful. Not to mention software either.