Why Camino and Firefox?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Why do Camino and Firefox both exist? What are the differences?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Firefox is Mozilla's official browser release. It is cross platform and utilizes their Gecko rendering engine under the hood.

Camino is similar. I uses the open-source Gecko engine as well but the interface is written using Cocoa and other Mac OS X technologies. It is only for Mac.

What does this mean? Both browsers should render content the same except in a few particular instances primarily relating to form elements. Firefox ensures cross-platform compatibility and uses its own interface widgets (menus, buttons, etc.) whereas Camino uses Aqua widgets. Camino presents a more standard interface in look and feel and functionality but it won't look like what other Firefox users see and occasionally may break a site's layout due to different sized widgets. Otherwise they should both request and display pages at about the same speeds.

The rest of the browser's interface (back buttons, url bar, etc.) and features (bookmark management, downloading, etc.) are controlled by the App. This is where Camino can leverage Mac technologies to deliver a more Mac-like experience.

There's additional similarities and differences and perhaps someone else will go in to more detail.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i had a small rant on my blog when camino 1.0 came out. i simply did not see the big deal. firefox was supposed to save the web, but now everyone acts like it's yesterday's messiah, when i don't see a huge speed increase, the mac-ish interface differences are not so huge that i think it matters that much either. so, what, it comes down to quality of icons?

then, a friend of mine in ohio did point out, however, that "it's all about the services." firefox just ignores the whole lot of them, which, if you use one of the popular note grabbing utilties like stickybrain or yojimbo, is really frustrating because of the extra steps you have to take to retain any snippets you find valuable along the way.

since i want developers to support services more and more (which, since apple is pushing apps to move to cocoa, which, i think always supports services unless you intentially break them), i should PROBABLY support any app that uses them too.

i dunno, so long as anything pulls people off their IE dependency, i guess i am in favor.

also, safari, at least a few days a week, will spontaneously stop loading web pages until i restart it ot reset it/clear its cache. i don't know why it's the only app to do this, especially since safari's such an important cog in apple's strategy for the all-in-one home consumer solution.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Why do Camino and Firefox both exist? What are the differences?

Firefox is really, really personalizable. Just look at what I've chosen to come up when right-clicking a tab:

To get more of an idea you can look at the extensions that exist for the program. If my machine crashes, or firefox crashes, the next time I open FF, it shows me the same windows I had when it closed unexpectedly, even with text I'd inserted and hadn't sent yet.

It's slow opening new windows, and sometimes buggy with certain stuff, but it has 300 times the functionality of Safari; literal, tangible things you can do. I can bookmark all my open tabs automatically into one folder without hassle. If I close a tab I can undo it. I can examine embedded media. You can merge open windows. You can color your tabs, and determine the order in which they open. You install FF and then install Tabbrowser preferences (an extension that gives you even more options) and you'll see what I mean.

But if these things aren't things you'd like to do, and the milliseconds you save with other browsers are important, go with a stabler one.

Quote:

safari, at least a few days a week, will spontaneously stop loading web pages until i restart it ot reset it/clear its cache.

I get this too when I try to load more than 2 tabs at once. It's the reason I looked for options. Every time I try with 3 tabs or more. It's worse than the beach ball.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

then, a friend of mine in ohio did point out, however, that "it's all about the services." firefox just ignores the whole lot of them, which, if you use one of the popular note grabbing utilties like stickybrain or yojimbo, is really frustrating because of the extra steps you have to take to retain any snippets you find valuable along the way.

Latest development (1.6a1 a.k.a. 2.0) version of Firefox with support for Services.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Awesome! I've been looking all over for FF 2.0a!

The reason I don't use Camino is because it doesn't fix any of the little niggles I have with FF, and lacks many features of FF, such as Extensions (adblock plus, filterset G, Download Manager Tweak, Translate, Web Developer, Bookmarks Synchronizer), RSS etc. I find the apparent lack of RSS shocking.

I use FF over Safari (at the moment; I switch it up now and then) as Safari doesn't block ads without shareware.