Playing .AVI files in Quicktime

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there anything I can download for free to do this? I can't seem to find anything. Smetimes it works but other times I just get a white screen or no sound and I get a message that says I need to download additional software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sekio

Is there anything I can download for free to do this? I can't seem to find anything. Smetimes it works but other times I just get a white screen or no sound and I get a message that says I need to download additional software.

Download and install the DivX 6 QuickTime codec. This will enable just about every modern .avi file in just about every Mac application, including the QuickTime player. You may also download the VLC player, either of the two implementations of Mplayer OS X, or Cellulo, a QuickTime-based imlementation of Mplayer. The takeway message is that you have numerous options to play .avi files on your Mac. You can find everything that I mentioned by searching VersionTracker.com or MacUpdate.com.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    Ok, I've got avi files playing ok, than you very much.

I have another question however, I've been using VLC for quite awhile now but recently it stopped working. Just upon opening it, my computer freezes for a few sceonds. Once it unfreezes, I try to use VLC and nothing works. When I move the controller, there's another one behind it that says text above the scroller. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but nothing works.

Also, sometimes after i close VLC, I get the message from Apple asking to send an error report.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sekio

Ok, I've got avi files playing ok, than you very much.

I have another question however, I've been using VLC for quite awhile now but recently it stopped working. Just upon opening it, my computer freezes for a few sceonds. Once it unfreezes, I try to use VLC and nothing works. When I move the controller, there's another one behind it that says text above the scroller. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but nothing works.

Also, sometimes after i close VLC, I get the message from Apple asking to send an error report.

I know nothing about your version of MacOS X or VLC, but I have experienced issues with VLC. IMHO, the popularily of VLC has to do with its fans supporting one of their own as much as its ability to play most media files. MPlayer OSX and MPlayer OS X 2 play the same formats, but don't get the same buzz. To be fair, these also have reliability issues. If it is a rock-solid commercial-quality free media player that you want, the QuickTime-based implementation of MPlayer, Cellulo 2.0.1, simply cannot be beat.