Limewire temp files

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I occasionally download things from Limewire (pics/vids etc) and after a while my Mac starts to groan a little and I realise that the HD has been filled with nothingness. I'm guessing that Limewire is leaving temp files somewhere, as if I do a restart the free space on my HD restores, minus obviously the space taken up by the actual items DL'd. Any idea of where these temp files are stored and if I can simply delete them rather than restarting ? The problem is probably compounded by me only having 2.7G left on my measily 9.8G HD on an old G3 PB with 10.3.9, and just 320M running at 400mhz

I intend to upgrade to an Intel iMac soon, but will wait a while until any bugs and teething troubles are sorted and hopefully the better chips have been marketed

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by corradoboy

I occasionally download things from Limewire (pics/vids etc) and after a while my Mac starts to groan a little and I realise that the HD has been filled with nothingness. I'm guessing that Limewire is leaving temp files somewhere, as if I do a restart the free space on my HD restores, minus obviously the space taken up by the actual items DL'd. Any idea of where these temp files are stored and if I can simply delete them rather than restarting ? The problem is probably compounded by me only having 2.7G left on my measily 9.8G HD on an old G3 PB with 10.3.9, and just 320M running at 400mhz

I intend to upgrade to an Intel iMac soon, but will wait a while until any bugs and teething troubles are sorted and hopefully the better chips have been marketed

Thanks in advance

There should be a "Shared" folder in your Home Directory.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I have a Shared folder, but there is nothing unexpected in there. I have a Downloads folder where everything from any app comes in, and an incomplete folder for Limewire ongoing D/L's.Neither of these ever contains anything unexpected either. There must be some invisible temp files being created somehwere, and a restart clears them
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by corradoboy

I have a Shared folder, but there is nothing unexpected in there. I have a Downloads folder where everything from any app comes in, and an incomplete folder for Limewire ongoing D/L's.Neither of these ever contains anything unexpected either. There must be some invisible temp files being created somehwere, and a restart clears them

You should have two Shared folders. One is in your Home directory (~/Shared) and the other in Users (/Users/Shared).

If it's not there, do a search for "Shared". This is the folder that Limewire installs itself.

It also installs another in your home folder called "Incomplete."

--B
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Nope, just the one "Shared" folder in Users. I may have renamed the other to Downloads as I use that for anything incoming from the web whatever the app. Can't find any spurious files anywhere so whatever it is sticking in my system must be hidden and temporary as it always restores the free space on restart.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    limewire forums.

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/forumd...p?s=&forumid=7

or you can download tinkertool to see your invisibles.

--B