Vista Experience: ha ha ha ha ha

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Check out this link to the microsoft site on Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...s/default.mspx

At least for me, it displays horribly, nothing shows up right. Good sign to the public about what this new Windows OS has in store for them!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 169
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Wow. I feel better about Vista already.

Works better in firefox. Safari chokes.

Huge screencap
  • Reply 2 of 169
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member

What the figgity fuck?

--B
  • Reply 3 of 169
    I also have the problem with the site. Nothing shows up right the links are all whited out, and I can't believe that microsoft can get away with that media player logo.
  • Reply 4 of 169
    I can hear my Windows friends talking about all the fun new things in Vista, I can say well Mac OS X UI has been doing that for ages, oh and we've had widgets for 18 months (well by the time Vista comes out). User Access Controls? Oh UNIX and Linux have had those for ages. Still, they won't care, they never do, and they think MS created it all.
  • Reply 5 of 169
    when is it supposed to come out? I went to that page looking for a date, but can't find one. Are they taking tips from google and leaving it in beta stage forever?
  • Reply 6 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by wgauvin

I can hear my Windows friends talking about all the fun new things in Vista, I can say well Mac OS X UI has been doing that for ages, oh and we've had widgets for 18 months (well by the time Vista comes out). User Access Controls? Oh UNIX and Linux have had those for ages. Still, they won't care, they never do, and they think MS created it all.

so true
  • Reply 7 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

when is it supposed to come out? I went to that page looking for a date, but can't find one. Are they taking tips from google and leaving it in beta stage forever?

It should be released on December 5th, but it's way to early to be sure, they could release it earlier and surprise people or something unexpected can happen and it could be released at a later date.

btw that media logo is such an obvious rip-off that I wonder if anyone at Micro$h!t can actually create something more original.
  • Reply 8 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darth_Apple

It should be released on December 5th, but it's way to early to be sure they could release it earlier and surprise people or something unexpected happens and they release it at a later date.

btw that media logo is such an obvious rip-off that I wonder if anyone at Micro$h!t can actually create something more original.

December 5th?! I thought it was in 2006! that's practically in 07!

When's leopard due out? The fall?
  • Reply 9 of 169
    I think Safari's having a hard time because M$ coded the page a certain way...on purpose.

We could all send them hate mail...

What blatant rip-offs. Steve darling, time to lay the fuckin' smack down. Give us Leopard!
  • Reply 10 of 169
    Steve my man, if you don't smack MS for ripping off that logo, you will find next year that MS is going to try to smack you like SCO is trying with IBM.
  • Reply 11 of 169
    it will be lovely to see how mac users will be explaining windows users about their vista ga/widgets. Just imagine how it would be to tell someone that their brand new OS is something you've been working with for like a year already..........painful but so sweet
  • Reply 12 of 169
    I hear you, Mike.

Quote:

Steve my man, if you don't smack MS for ripping off that logo, you will find next year that MS is going to try to smack you like SCO is trying with IBM.

And please, Steve, smack them HARD.
  • Reply 13 of 169
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MikeVonkPro

it will be lovely to see how mac users will be explaining windows users about their vista ga/widgets. Just imagine how it would be to tell someone that their brand new OS is something you've been working with for like a year already..........painful but so sweet

But the thing is, why will Windows users care? You've both got widgets now, what's to prove? "We had them first, therefore you should buy a Mac?"
  • Reply 14 of 169
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Does anyone know if Vista is more than a facelift?
  • Reply 15 of 169
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

Does anyone know if Vista is more than a facelift?

Yeah, there's the new metadata filesystem, there's hard drive encryption, a new 3D rendering API, and an entirely new way of browsing files.
  • Reply 16 of 169
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

But the thing is, why will Windows users care? You've both got widgets now, what's to prove? "We had them first, therefore you should buy a Mac?"

exactly, most of the time they dont, i mean HELLO they are window users haha.
  • Reply 17 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Yeah, there's the new metadata filesystem, there's hard drive encryption, a new 3D rendering API, and an entirely new way of browsing files.

Any leapfrogging of things like .net and C# -- or anything that runs any deeper? It seemed like 'Longhorn' was leaning towards a re-write, but all that went away by degrees.

For example -- basically CS2 would still run, and CS3 wouldn't really need anything done to it to run on Vista -- if you want to use the new feature you can call it, but you don't have too. (?)
  • Reply 18 of 169
    What do .NET and C# have to do with Vista as an operating system?
  • Reply 19 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

What do .NET and C# have to do with Vista as an operating system?

I don't know, I'm just poking around for something -- I'd assume if they went and changed the architecture significantly, they'd make writing in Visual Basic different, GUI calls, database calls, that sort of thing.

I'm trying to figure out what the reality is with Vista. When no one was talking about Adobe getting a universal binary of CS out the door, I knew that was a pretty good sign we weren't even close. Now Vista is coming out and all I'm hearing is "New UI" and "spiffed up 3D graphics" -- so I don't think this is anywhere near as significant as XP (which I love in a Windows sort of way).

I think the Vista upgrade is probably analogous to the jump between OS X 10.3 --> 10.4.
  • Reply 20 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

I think the Vista upgrade is probably analogous to the jump between OS X 10.3 --> 10.4.

I think that's about right. Vista is just new features thrown onto a horrible mess of a system. Like icing on a cow pie. It may look nicer, but it's still... a cow pie.

I had heard that Vista could be a simple downloadable upgrade for XP.

Microsoft is unwilling to do a jump like OS9 to OSX, even though that is exactly what they need to do, because they would lose too many customers. They'll stick with the same buggy software until their doom.