I just got a Mighty Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I thought these things had speakers or something in them that simulated the clicking sound. Mine seems to have a regular button like the old Apple mice did except if you push the right side it gives a right button and alternatly for the left. I also thought that it was going to be touch sensitive much like the side button is. Did they change the design or did this never exist?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ummm never existed(?) i think.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    my little scroll wheel makes a faint clicking sound (That I can hear at home - but not in normal office noise) when it is plugged in, but not when it is unplugged. If they added a speaker for that it is hardly worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    It does click per se, but when it's clicked down, the sensors within the mouse register if you're left- or right-clicking.

The click sounds as the mouse shell literally "clicks" down like the Apple Pro Mouse, but the side triggers have artificial click sounds. So yes, there is a little speaker inside of it.

Congrats on your purchase! It's a great mouse (unless you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, like me XD). Just remember that when you're clicking, the mouse needs to read where the finger is, so you might have to pick the other finger up off of the mouse (or rest it on the scroll ball).
  • Reply 4 of 16
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    ah, that explains it. I didn't know the click on the side button was artificial.

Your're right, this is a great mouse. My old mouse was a black AOpen mouse I bought after I bought my mini awhile ago. it worked fine but I really wanted an apple mouse because they look so great and I wanted to be able to activate expose from the mouse rather than the corners of the screen. I just look at it and it looks so at ease with my Mini and Apple keyboard. It sounds stupid but it make me happy to look at.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Here is an odd Mighty Mouse issue:

I have been noticing that when I left click in a specific way, as the mouse returns up into its static position it pans my screen left a small amount. It is as if I had hit the scroll whel ever so slightly. But I absolutely haven't. If I focus on pressing the button purely straight up and down, nothing. But if I press a little off center, the way I naturally do, it does the pan to the left. I have watched specifically to see if my finger ever comes in contact with the scroll ball and it does not.

Odd.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Ahh, the mighty mouse. . . I didn't really like it the first few days I used it, but then it REALLY grew on me. Now I think it's great. I much prefer it to the various logitech mice I have at home and the office. (MX500, MX310, MX1000 Laser)
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I opted for the regular wireless mouse. Anyone think we'll see a wireless mighty mouse this year?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwoods

I opted for the regular wireless mouse. Anyone think we'll see a wireless mighty mouse this year?

I sure hope so, ill be the first to buy. i heard that was hard to do because of battery problems. i hope they get it all worked out.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I too liked my wireless Apple mouse (especially the tracking of all Apple mice) but got tired of switching mice every time I wanted to do some gaming. Now I just use a Logitech MX1000 pretty much 24/7. My only complaints are its kinda heavy and I have to switch mouse tracking speeds when I switch to another mouse when I have to charge this one. I do like its rechargeable batteries.

Aside from the scroll wheel and thumb trigger, most of the extra buttons are useless.

I'd definitely consider a wireless Mighty Mouse, but if I end up switching mice all the time again it might end up in a drawer. It is nice that there's nothing else needed for the Apple wireless mice though, aside from internal bluetooth.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by corbu

Here is an odd Mighty Mouse issue:

I have been noticing that when I left click in a specific way, as the mouse returns up into its static position it pans my screen left a small amount. It is as if I had hit the scroll whel ever so slightly. But I absolutely haven't. If I focus on pressing the button purely straight up and down, nothing. But if I press a little off center, the way I naturally do, it does the pan to the left. I have watched specifically to see if my finger ever comes in contact with the scroll ball and it does not.

Odd.

I can't seem to duplicate this behavior. I tried both left and right click. no movement. May be a defective mouse?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Since posting I have paid closer attention to this issue. It still happens, only in Illustrator. I restart Illustrator and it goes away, only to reappear after a while of use. I blame Illustrator. But I still don't get it.

Overall, I do very much like the mighty mouse. I use the expose and dashboard hotbutton features all the time. It is really usefull.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    As a former windows (sorry) user I grew used to left or right clicking to go back a web page. The apple mouse makes you go up to the top of the screen to hit the back button. Or am I missing something? I have a mighty mouse but I don't see an option to make the left and right click make the web page go back. Sorry if this is an obvious question or complaint. Would appreciate a solution if there is one.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gdetore

As a former windows (sorry) user I grew used to left or right clicking to go back a web page. The apple mouse makes you go up to the top of the screen to hit the back button. Or am I missing something? I have a mighty mouse but I don't see an option to make the left and right click make the web page go back. Sorry if this is an obvious question or complaint. Would appreciate a solution if there is one.

it takes a click of the secondary button and then another click to select "back". I'm not aware of a single click to activate a back button.

cheers
  • Reply 14 of 16
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    It should work with safari. If you click the right mouse button, a menu should pop up saying "Back" "reload", etc. Are you just not getting a menu? If not, you probably don't have your right mouse button activated which, for some reason, seems to be default. Go to your system preferences and in mouse options activate the right mouse button.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibuzz

I'm not aware of a single click to activate a back button.

Yep. You need USB Overdrive for cool stuff like that. Set the RMB to command-[

8)
  • Reply 16 of 16
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Wouldn't it be annoying if you accidentally right click and you go back? I would rather see the context menu when I right click in Safari and then click on back, forward or reload as it occurs now.