Vista Tiger Ahhh!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was just looking at screenshots from Vista on cNET and it is amazing how many things windows is ripping off the mac:

-Gadgets (like widgets in dashboard)

-Built in Calendar (like iCal)

-Fast Comp Lock (in XP Pro only -- in Mac three ways: fast user switching, screen saver lock, and another lock in the depths of keychain)

-BitLocker (like File Vault in Macs from 10.3 panther)

-Time Zones (World Clock on Macs)

-Speech Recognition (like Universal Access in macs)

-Start Search (like Spotlight)

And this is just from pictures...im sure the list goes on and on and on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    No, no, no. You got it all wrong. Since Vista has been in development for so long, OS X clearly ripped off Microsoft. They are the true inventors creating everything from scratch. OS X is the cheap copy.

Long live OS 9! Woot!

• Reply 2 of 34
    I just really hope Apple gains momentum as vista and leopard are released.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    I was hoping Apple could release OS X for PC before Vista. I'm sure they could have taken a sizeable chunk of the marketplace by now. Or even a year ago.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I was hoping Apple could release OS X for PC before Vista. I'm sure they could have taken a sizeable chunk of the marketplace by now. Or even a year ago.

No, I hope Apple waits until Vista is final, and copy stuff from them. I wouldn't mind Apple copying something from Windows for a change.

Question is: what ?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

No, I hope Apple waits until Vista is final, and copy stuff from them. I wouldn't mind Apple copying something from Windows for a change.

Jobs openly admitted when he announced Panther that he had swiped fast user switching from MS. Jobs just gave it that cool cube animation to give it that Apple panache.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:

Market share?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Market share?

I don't think I'd let Apple take MS's market share. But having 10% wouldn't be bad. Having 90%? That would be terrible.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Market share?

Ouch!
  • Reply 9 of 34
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I don't think I'd let Apple take MS's market share. But having 10% wouldn't be bad. Having 90%? That would be terrible.

Look at how Steve is now with less than 10% market share I can only imagine how he'd be with 90%!

Reminds me of this old joke:

Quote:

So, Bill Gates dies, and goes to Heaven, and he meets up with Saint Peter, and says "Hey, it's Bill, I'm just going to go on in." And Saint Peter says, "Sorry Bill, everyone is equal here. You need to stand in line like everyone else."

Begrudgingly, Bill Gates walks to the end of the enormous line, but as he's waiting to get into Heaven, a limo drives up, and there in the limo is Steve Jobs! Now, Bill Gates is furious, so he walks up to Saint Peter and complains, "Hey! I thought you said everyone was equal here! But, I just saw Steve Jobs roll right in!"

Saint Peter laughs, and responds, "Oh no, that wasn't Steve Jobs. That was God, he only thinks he's Steve Jobs."

I still laugh at that...

Dave
  • Reply 11 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Well, Apple is already stealing from Vista with the metadata-driven file browser that's presumably going to be in Leopard.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    After Vista's long incubation and development process, I think MS will do a short upgrade cycle like 2 years just to suck more money out of the PC market (this will make up for the fact that XP has been around for 5 years). This means that Apple will have Leopard and what ever release after that to stay ahead.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

I forgot the term that they use but I won't mind that capability to extend boot drive space by adding another drive.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Do you mean RAID?

Actually, with all the cheap hard drives floating around, I would like RAID 5 support built into the OS. I know, CPU intensive, but I bet some people would use it for extra security.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

How about when u click enter on a folder to enter that folder and not to rename it.

I really hate this about OSX, it is clearly that this function for the enter button it is better than rename. That is why the button is called enter and not rename.

I really don't care if Microsoft it gets something for OSX or apple gets something from Windows as long as the final product is a reliable, stable and a profesional os.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artanis

How about when u click enter on a folder to enter that folder and not to rename it.

I really hate this about OSX, it is clearly that this function for the enter button it is better than rename. That is why the button is called enter and not rename.

This still bugs me as well. I hate hitting CMD+O to open a folder or program. I should only have to hit Enter, like every other OS I've ever used in a 25 year period.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I was just looking at screenshots from Vista on cNET and it is amazing how many things windows is ripping off the mac:

-Gadgets (like widgets in dashboard)

-Built in Calendar (like iCal)

-Fast Comp Lock (in XP Pro only -- in Mac three ways: fast user switching, screen saver lock, and another lock in the depths of keychain)

-BitLocker (like File Vault in Macs from 10.3 panther)

-Time Zones (World Clock on Macs)

-Speech Recognition (like Universal Access in macs)

-Start Search (like Spotlight)

And this is just from pictures...im sure the list goes on and on and on.

Encrypted File System Introduced in Windows 2000

Fast user switching Intoduced in the XP tweeks package

Indexed content searching Win 98 I think

Time Zones... Win 3.1, 3.0?

But of course they hadn't been given stupid apple-like names way back then... Ahhhggg the persecution I suffer as a mac user....

If apple is so great, who cares what windows does to catch up?
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

This still bugs me as well. I hate hitting CMD+O to open a folder or program. I should only have to hit Enter, like every other OS I've ever used in a 25 year period.

Or just try Command-Down arrow. And Command-Up arrow to jump up in the folder hierarchy. Incredibly fast and logical, especially if you use the arrow buttons to pick your folders. Starting from the desktop, you can choose and open/close folders and files without ever needing to move your hands or fingers.

Sweetilicous.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash

Or just try Command-Down arrow. And Command-Up arrow to jump up in the folder hierarchy. Incredibly fast and logical, especially if you use the arrow buttons to pick your folders. Starting from the desktop, you can choose and open/close folders and files without ever needing to move your hands or fingers.

Sweetilicous.

Great hint! Is there a place that lists more?