Aperture 1.1 to offer speed and RAW improvements

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I hope that they added support for the kodak DCS slr/n. They have other crappy kodak camera support. Why not the slr/n

geeze!!

But it is nice to see the aggressive updating of aperture. It is still in my opinion not mature enough to have been released.

Bring on the updates.

btw: Aperture 1.0 totally crashed my PB g4 1.5 with 2 gigs of ram. I certainly hope that they have improved the performance. It was dog slow and unstable.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

I hope that they added support for the kodak DCS slr/n. They have other crappy kodak camera support. Why not the slr/n

geeze!!

But it is nice to see the aggressive updating of aperture. It is still in my opinion not mature enough to have been released.

Bring on the updates.

btw: Aperture 1.0 totally crashed my PB g4 1.5 with 2 gigs of ram. I certainly hope that they have improved the performance. It was dog slow and unstable.

I have a iMac G5.. will Aperture work well on this machine? what about PowerBooks & MacBooks?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

I have a iMac G5.. will Aperture work well on this machine? what about PowerBooks & MacBooks?

yes
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:

check the apple website. Sorry but it's not that hard to find out. And for the record, it depends on your processor speed (1.8Ghz G5 iMac to be exact)
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:

geeze!!

Bring on the updates.

Always the same story...Pages was released too early, iWeb too early, FCP too early.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple at the Photography Marketing Association (PMA) show in Orlando, Florida this week is previewing an updated to its Aperture professional photography workflow application that will offer overall speed improvements and improved RAW image processing.

Due in March, Aperture 1.1 will feature native support for Intel Macs as well as many user-requested features, Apple representatives told pdnonline.

According to the report, the update includes new algorithms for basic raw processing, while adding several new raw tools such as Boost, which adjusts the contrast curve of an image; Sharpening, which is independent from overall sharpening tools and effects just the raw processing; Chromatic Blur, which softens the chromatic aberrations often found in raw images; and Auto Noise Compression, which helps to reduce sensor noise.

This latter feature is said to be the most impressive, as it detects not only the profile of the camera used to shoot the image, but also that camera's settings. Therefore, an image shot at ISO 1600 for 2 seconds would see more noise reduction than a shorter exposure time image or lower ISO shot, pdnonline reports.

Images that have been adjusted in Aperture 1.0 can be updated to the 1.1 processing or left alone. A tool to migrate older processed images can be applied to any selected image, and the user can choose between processing all images, only those who have been adjusted, or only those that have not been adjusted, the report says.

The update will also reportedly offered RGB display, the ability to manage layered PSD files, and DPI controls for image export -- allowing photographers to create export presets for any image size and resolution. According to pdnonline, images brought into Aperture can be exported back to PSD with their layers intact as long as they have not been altered in Aperture.

Meanwhile, Apple is also said to be implementing a new tethered workflow solution into Aperture for Canon and Nikon cameras, which is not yet fully integrated, but appears to work seamlessly.

"In our demos, Apple staff attached a 1Ds Mark II to a Quad G5, opened Canon's pro software, and then ran an applet to tell Aperture what folder was set to receive the tethered files," wrote pdnonline. "From then on, images captured with the camera were auto-imported to the program." Additional and improved tethered support is reportedly planned for future versions of Aperture.

Feature updates aside, Aperture 1.1 has also gained a much-requested speed boost, with many operations processing 2-3x faster on PowerPC systems, and twice again as fast on Intel macs, the report says.

Aperture 1.1 will be made available next month via Software Update as a free update to Aperture 1.0 customers.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    I, for one, thank our beta code releasing overlords.

Now smile and pass the damn Kool Aid.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by New

yes

The short answer is...Yes.

The longer answer is No, not effectively.

I have well over 10,000 5- 14 MP JPEG and .Raw images. On my Powerbook aperture was way too slow to be able to use it effectively as a photo management app.

On my Dual 2.7 Powermac it runs fine.

Aperture will run fine enough if you use it as a light table importing your images directly off of a CF card after a shoot. You must then take the extra step of re-importing them to a Workstation. This works ok when on location.

This results in increased workflow time.

Here is a perfect opportunity for the Mythical Tablet . Aperture + hard drive + auto synch = extra Apple photo goodness.

Speed Boost = good.

Need to see Kodak .raw support!!!!!

edit: Just noticed... that was my 1000th post!!

Kewl!!

• Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:

The longer answer is No, not effectively.

I have well over 10,000 5- 14 MP JPEG and .Raw images. On my Powerbook aperture was way too slow to be able to use it effectively as a photo management app.

On my Dual 2.7 Powermac it runs fine.

Aperture will run fine enough if you use it as a light table importing your images directly off of a CF card after a shoot. You must then take the extra step of re-importing them to a Workstation. This works ok when on location.

This results in increased workflow time.

Ummm...so one of your machines is much slower than the one he is asking about (single G4 vs. single G5), and the other is much faster (dual G5 vs. single G5). So how is it that you are so confident about exactly how Aperture will run on his machine, given that neither of your machines is equivalent to an iMac G5?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Actually, the short answer is maybe. If you have the first iMac G5 with the FX5200 Ultra GPU, Aperture will not run at all (unsupported GPU). There is an Aperture compatibility checker program at Apple's Aperture site. I'd run this program first to see if your hardware is compatible.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This update certainly sound good. If it's all that Apple says it is, it will solve most of the biggest problems Aperture has had.

The two major problems being that of speed and of image quality. I'm happy to see that they have come out with this update fairly early.

They have also addressed the concerns about whether we will be able to keep the original converted corrections with the old algorithms, or use the new ones. Good job!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Always the same story...Pages was released too early, iWeb too early, FCP too early.

I think it might stem from an inability to get a large number of trustworthy beta testers. The more testers you have, the greater risk that someone's lips are going to flap and tip off competitors.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:

IIRC, Apple's software development strategy (inherited from NEXT) is "release early and often." The idea, I think, is that if you get software out there, no matter how buggy, and then aggressively revise and patch it, you will end up with a high quality product fairly quickly (faster than if you had just worked internally on the code until it was perfect).
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by rminkler

IIRC, Apple's software development strategy (inherited from NEXT) is "release early and often." The idea, I think, is that if you get software out there, no matter how buggy, and then aggressively revise and patch it, you will end up with a high quality product fairly quickly (faster than if you had just worked internally on the code until it was perfect).

That's certainly MS's theory. I remember when we didn't have that with Apple.

I think that it also comes from the fact that Apple now has far more software than it ever did in the past. The more software, the more programmers, etc.

More work being done, means less supervision. Apple is competing where it never had to before. Therefore it has to meet schedules it never had to meet before either.

This is the result. When Apple basically released products twice a year, it had time to do sufficient testing. Now that Apple exhibits at most Professional events, it must have software (and hardware) ready for these events. This makes for a more difficult schedule.

For example. Releasing Aperture, with some other products, at the Pro Photo Expo, here in NYC, meant that either it was shown, and released shortly after, or Apple would have had to show it at another show, such as the PMA show going on now in Florida. But, that isn't as visible a showcase, even though it is an old and well known show. So, that could have meant that Apple would have had to wait for other shows. Macworld was focussed on Intel, so that was out, and it wasn't the right venue anyway. The next one up now is NAB in late April. That's not quite right either, and Apple wants to show its Universal Pro Apps, as well as apparently something new, so that wouldn't be right.

So, they would have to to wait until this years Pro Photo Expo, losing an entire year.

They made the decision.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

They made the decision.

We pay the price.

They could have announced and done the demo but gotten to at least 1.01 or perhaps 1.1 before release.

Aperture 1.0 was a public beta.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

So, they would have to to wait until this years Pro Photo Expo, losing an entire year.

They made the decision.

That's kind of the problem with dogmatically holding to a specific release pattern. If the splash is more important than the product, then the product often suffers as a result, and in this case, I would say that it certainly has.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

We pay the price.

They could have announced and done the demo but gotten to at least 1.01 or perhaps 1.1 before release.

And Adobe could be so philanthropic with their products as well.

Afterall, Photoshop 1.0 was so glorious.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

We pay the price.

We've had major arguments about this before, on this site. It was damned if you do, damned if you don't.

As long as Apple shows a willingness to come up with updates that answer the questions about the problems, then it will be fine. If they don't, then it won't.

This update seems (if it works) to solve most of the major problems.

There is a matter of priority here as well.

Look at what is being said, incorrectly, about Lightbox, from Adobe. It's being said that they are merely responding to Apple's threat, when it's quite clear that they had been developing that at least as long as Apple had been developing Aperture. But, they felt compelled to release the beta. And, they even got a Universal version out before Apple, even though it's still a beta.

If Adobe had come out with Lightbox before Apple came out with Aperture, then it would be said, also incorrectly, that Apple was merely responding to Adobe.

It's mindshare.

If Aperture works well six months from now, most people involved with the 1.0 release will forget all about the problems. People new to the program at that time won't even be familiar with those problems.

And Adobe will be playing catch-up.

Otherwise, it could have been the other way around.

The truth is that no one knows which problems in the program would have made it out even if the program was released next Pro Photo Expo.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

And Adobe could be so philanthropic with their products as well.

Afterall, Photoshop 1.0 was so glorious.

Actually, PS 1.0 was pretty good. It really wasn't too buggy.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Any word on added RAW camera support ? How about Pentax RAW ? Apple supports no Pentax RAW format, so this is the time to add it i IMO!