What applications will vanish come Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The way I see it there are a handful of applications that have become redundant with the introduction of Dashboard and also possibly Front Row. My guess is that they will be removed from the Mac OS with the introduction of Leopard.

Here's the list I'm imagining:

Stickies.app -> Replaced by a widget in Dashboard

Sherlock.app -> Replaced by various Dashboard widgets aswell

DVD Player.app -> Possibly replaced by Front Row-functionality

I think the two first are very likely to be removed at some point. When it comes to DVD Player I'm not sure. Front Row, from the looks of it, doesn't offer the same amount of functionality that DVD Player.app does. But I'm not sure that matters, and I'm still not convinced that Apple will hang on to DVD Player.app for very long.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree that these applications will likely be replaced by the things that I list? Or will the more limited Stickies (only available in Dashboard-mode) and the very basic DVD-playing capacity of Front Row not be enough?

Also, Calculator.app could possibly be replaced by a Dashboard widget at some point. But then the widget that Apple has today will have to be given a lot more advanced functionality before that can take place.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    DVD player is here to stay, and same with the calculator. As for sherlock, I see no purpose what-so-ever. And as for stickies, I think they will stay partly because its such a small app, and it requires less CPU than dashboard does. But then again, it is certainly very easy for Apple to get away with deleting stickies. Methinks if they keep it, it might get a clean up to look like dashboard stickies. I think the concept is stickies is that they show up on your desktop so you see it when you start up your comp.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I think as Apple adds more and more applications to the Mac OS X standard installation, old redundant applications will be removed.

Sherlock will be gone for sure. The fact that it isn't being updated anymore says it all.

When it comes to DVD Player it will likely have to be given a UI overhaul if it is to be included in Leopard. There have been speculation of this before and I think it will come to play: Leopard will be the end of brushed metal. DVD Player is a custom hack of brushed metal and will need some polishing to be brought up to snuff. Perhaps Apple will do that. Perhaps not. So far it hasn't been given that much interface love; it even retains that old Mac OS 9 AppleScript icon in the menubar for instance. I've been waiting for them to update that for a long time.

Stickies I think will be gone aswell. Not to save a couple of megabytes of space; but because it is redundant and it is claiming surface in the applications folder that Apple could use for better things. Yes, I do believe that Apple (or Steve Jobs if you will) cares about not cluttering up the applications folder with too many items.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Dashboard needs at least one new feature before I dump Konfabulator and Stickies...the ability to have widgets visible even when I don't hit F12. This is certainly the most inconvenient thing about Dashboard. I like having my stickies (always) visible...that's why I have them...to remind me about things...and if I have ot remember to F12 to see them...well...

Other than that...I suppose.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Chris: The solution is simple: Make a sticky that reminds you to hit F12...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Chris: The solution is simple: Make a sticky that reminds you to hit F12...

Was that a joke? Because...well...if all that is left is Dashboard...and I have ot hit F12 to see my stickies to begin with...ummm...hmmm.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    DVD Player - has to stay because people with computers that do not have Front Row will need a way to play DVDs. I can see them improving it so there are on-screen controls like QuickTime has. I would like to see fast scan buttons or a slider bar instead of having to hold down the next and previous buttons.

Sherlock - I never used this application before so I opened it to see what it is and after using it for a few minutes on each item (ebay, movies, etc.) I will be using it more. If Apple is not improving the current version maybe they are working on a completely new version of Sherlock. While widgets are nice they do not have to ability to show as much information as Sherlock seems to be able to show.

Stickies - I use stickies a lot so I want them to stick around.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I don't see Apps getting removed unless they are broken.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Dashboard needs at least one new feature before I dump Konfabulator and Stickies...the ability to have widgets visible even when I don't hit F12. This is certainly the most inconvenient thing about Dashboard. I like having my stickies (always) visible...that's why I have them...to remind me about things...and if I have ot remember to F12 to see them...well...

Other than that...I suppose.

I agree. I would love to be able to have dashboard enabled on one monitor while I use another monitor for my work.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mbg5mbg5 Posts: 36member
    why get rid of programs?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Path Finder.