Will new Frontrow be retail?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
If Apple release a new version of Frontrow (perhaps with DVR features) do you think they will offer it retail or keep it to new kit?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Well, to offer it retail, a remote and IR receiver would both need to be included for it to work. I honestly don't see them selling that stuff separate -- IOW, it's too sloppy for Apple -- so I wouldn't expect Front Row to be a separate package.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Personally I would like to see Front Row as both a stand alone app and as a package deal. They'll sell remotes and probably use an iPod dock for the IR receiver. I could live with either, but all of the Macs in the family are too new to consider another Mac purchase.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Yeah, if they packaged Front Row with the IR-capable iPod dock, that would be nice and kill two birds with one stone.

"But I don't have an iPod!" yells the consumer.

"Then here's some for you to consider," says Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How about selling the software to people that already HAVE remotes like from Keyspan? Like me?

Or...we could just hack it like we are now. Basically Apple is losing money by being dumb. What's new?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Front Row is being used as a reason to upgrade, similar to iLife. But getting FrontRow working on your current Mac isn't too hard.

I have a keyspan remote, but for some reason the remote has disappeared. I have the IR base but I'm not sure where the clicker went. Doh, FrontRow is calling to me!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Basically Apple is losing money by being dumb. What's new?

Apple aren't necessarly being dumb, they've just figured that they'll get a whole lot more money from users wanting the 'latest and greatest', so instead of spending £30-£50 on Front Row there letting them spend a ridiculous amount of money on a brand new system, which is good business at the end of the day anyway if you think about it, just about every other company is doing the same.

I've actually just switched to Apple, buying an iBook G4 from eBay (I'm a skint student! ) which has Panther on it at the moment. Personally I dont think I'd benefit from Frontrow much if they released it seperatetly, I wouldnt be willing to spend more than £30 ($50) on it anyway.

This is off topic, but do you think ugrading from Panther to Tiger is worth it? I was originally going to stick with Panther until Leopard is released, but since Tiger isnt that costly I was thinking for what it's worth I'll probably be missing out on some nice features and even future upgrades / offers if I stick with Panther for another 8 months or so.

Any feedback is most welcome
  • Reply 7 of 17
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smclintock

Apple aren't necessarly being dumb, they've just figured that they'll get a whole lot more money from users wanting the 'latest and greatest', so instead of spending £30-£50 on Front Row there letting them spend a ridiculous amount of money on a brand new system, which is good business at the end of the day anyway if you think about it, just about every other company is doing the same.

No. They're being dumb.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

No. They're being dumb.

Nope.

FrontRow is a pig on my PowerBook G4. It shouldn't run on it. They have been careful to make sure that computers that come with FrontRow are powerful enough to actually run it.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Apple is Doomed.

• Reply 10 of 17
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smclintock

This is off topic, but do you think ugrading from Panther to Tiger is worth it? I was originally going to stick with Panther until Leopard is released, but since Tiger isnt that costly I was thinking for what it's worth I'll probably be missing out on some nice features and even future upgrades / offers if I stick with Panther for another 8 months or so.

Tiger! Do it!

Be sure to use the student discount if you can.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Shure, you can install FrontRow hackzored, but you lose the complete Apple package of the Apple Remote and the built in IR port.... it just isn't the same...

obviously if Apple really cared they would stop the h8ckerZ.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Well, to offer it retail, a remote and IR receiver would both need to be included for it to work. I honestly don't see them selling that stuff separate -- IOW, it's too sloppy for Apple -- so I wouldn't expect Front Row to be a separate package.

They could sell the app and IR remote seperatly, make an interface for bluetooth cell phones...could be done easily with a java applet
  • Reply 13 of 17
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Basically Apple is losing money by being dumb. What's new?

An example of why we are on the internet talking about billion dollar companies instead of actually running billion dollar companies.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Apple is not doomed. Geez. (Yeah, I know you were being sarcastic).

I had the original version on my PB for awhile. It ran great. It wasn't a pig. It just isn't that great without a remote and I think the whole experience needs to be wireless streaming to a TV, speakers and stuff before i will be really interested.

Maybe that's the real point. If you buy it, you might really expect it to do something. When it's free, well, you get what you pay for.

So maybe they are stupid....like a fox.

• Reply 15 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    You geniuses obviously don't have remotes. Therefore you don't get it. I have a remote. Front Row is awesome. But I can't have it even if I want to pay. Why?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

You geniuses obviously don't have remotes. Therefore you don't get it. I have a remote. Front Row is awesome. But I can't have it even if I want to pay. Why?

My suggestion takes it to the next level, bluetooth control, see playlists, cover art, maybe low res versions of photos and such without being right in front of the screen or in LOS with the IR...

Example, you are in a dorm room, the iMac is under the loft, you are listening to music while laying in bed reading, you want to choose a differant playlist, pause, mute... so tou grab the phone from your pocket and "just do it"

Why has no one pushed the envolope with bluetooth and its potential yet?