When will we see Intel Mac towers/Pro desktops?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
All,

Wife is *really* getting on me to pick up another Mac because she needs her own. I planned on upgrading this year anyway and giving her my dual G5, but I really don't wanna buy a Quad now knowing the intel pro desktops are just around the corner.

Are there any rumblings they may hit this year, since we've seen the iMac, Minis and MacBook Pros are now intel? Or will we have to wait until MWSF '07?

Any conjecture/educated guess apppreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by epimetheus

All,

Wife is *really* getting on me to pick up another Mac because she needs her own. I planned on upgrading this year anyway and giving her my dual G5, but I really don't wanna buy a Quad now knowing the intel pro desktops are just around the corner.

Are there any rumblings they may hit this year, since we've seen the iMac, Minis and MacBook Pros are now intel? Or will we have to wait until MWSF '07?

Any conjecture/educated guess apppreciated.

Sorry, found some Conroe/pro desktop conjecture on page 3 of this thread.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Probably last to upgrade to intel will be the Towers. After all Pro apps have gone to universal binary. I would bet sometime near December.

The ibooks will probably go in April/May

That is the best conjecture.

Why don't you buy your wife a mini. That should hold her until you upgrade your tower.

It will probably be faster than the current ibooks and probably faster than the Powerbook G4's
  • Reply 3 of 6
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Why don't you buy your wife a mini. That should hold her until you upgrade your tower.

And when you do finally upgrade your tower, and pass your old one to the wife, the Mac mini can move into the living room, where it belongs...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    www.hardmac.com says Blu-Ray burners will be available in April.

I wonder if that means the Power Mac G5's and Cinema Displays will be revved at NAB?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I agree: A mini would be a great computer for the little lady. I take it she doesn't do any intense Photoshopping, etc.? Get her a mini now and when the Intel-based pro machines come out get one for yourself.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Probally when Woodcrest (Xeon 51xx) lauches in Q3 (June?). Apple has to use Xeon to get two physical processors (4 cores). Aparently it's going to launch at a top speed of 3 Ghz.

There's talk that Intel is trying to get Clovertown (2 Woodcrests on a single die) into 2006, so it's possible Apple could use it at MWSF 2007. PowerMac Xeon Octo anyone?