Integrated video sucks!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I can't believe Apple did this to the mini. I would have purchased one if it wasn't for the "integrated" video.

I am so disappointed in this move. Does this mean the iBook will have integrated video?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OK, I'm trying to find more information on this integrated video thing. Where are you guys reading this?
  • Reply 2 of 65
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Right sidebar, half way down.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    I have THE SAME feelings! I used to love the mac mini, now I hated, just because of the video issue!! Please Apple don't do the same to the iBooks!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 65
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Mac mini features a graphics processor integrated into the system, and one that's no slouch, to boot. The Intel GMA950 graphics supports Tiger Core Graphics and the latest 3D games. It shares fast 667MHz memory with the Intel Core processor, for an incredible value proposition.

And they raised the price $100? Gee, thanks Apple...(Value for whom?)

I'm pretty disappointed. Someone's drinking too much of someone else's kool-aid.

They essentially lowered the amount of RAM you can use in your system (now you don't even get the full Gig from your precious one RAM slot), and raised the price for the priviledge.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    imavimav Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alberto

I have THE SAME feelings! I used to love the mac mini, now I hated, just because of the video issue!! Please Apple don't do the same to the iBooks!!!!

Why? Believe it or not, the GMA950 is an upgrade performance-wise to the Radeon 9200 chipset used in the previous Minis. With the increased FSB, the fact it uses shared memory won't really be a big deal (again, compared to the previous Minis).

There is a certain stigma attached with "integrated graphics" that I believe is unfounded (especially when you are taking about the entry-level Mac Mini). It's a step up from what we had before.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

I'm pretty disappointed. Someone's drinking too much of someone else's kool-aid.

They essentially lowered the amount of RAM you can use in your system (now you don't even get the full Gig from your precious one RAM slot), and raised the price for the priviledge.

Two RAM slots.

There are two now.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Until we have numbers comparing the performance of the new integrated graphics to the old ATI chipset, I'll withhold judgement.

I'm not a fan of integrated graphics (is this a hint as to what's to come for the intel iBook?) but the Mac mini is a value-class machine so I don't expect the world.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Two RAM slots.

There are two now.

Yeah. Just saw that. Was coming back for the correction. Funny. That was a major issue for me, and I really did not expect them to double the slots (or use 7200rpm 3.5" HDDs...which they still aren't using). I sit here musing whether or not I would have bought the mini if it had a core-compliant video-card with dedicated RAM. (I've really been looking for an excuse to buy a new Mac.)

Hmmm...I've got to say: I'd probably have had a long sit-down talk with my wife about it.

The other drawback is obviously the $100 price increase.

The higher-end model should really have had a card with dedicated video memory...
  • Reply 9 of 65
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    likewise. i dont get why people moan so much about the integrated stuff.

It'll do the job fine for the machines intended purpose. If folks want an all out gaming machine from the mac-mini then they are quite simply deluding themselves.

Its an entry level into the Mac world and will have hardware to reflect that.

Its probably integrated in order to reduce hardware/board space inorder to facilitate the dual ram slots and to cut back on the graphics cost to get closer to the previous price point of the old mini.

Is it a sign of things to come in the iBook follow on? probably. again, entry level laptop will have entry level hardware.

will i order a mini? probably.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

Yeah. Just saw that. Was coming back for the correction. Funny. That was a major issue for me, and I really did not expect them to double the slots (or use 7200rpm 3.5" HDDs...which they still aren't using). I sit here musing whether or not I would have bought the mini if it had a core-compliant video-card with dedicated RAM. (I've really been looking for an excuse to buy a new Mac.)

It is CoreGraphics compliant.

Quote:

Hmmm...I've got to say: I'd probably have had a long sit-down talk with my wife about it.

The other drawback is obviously the $100 price increase.

The higher-end model should really have had a card with dedicated video memory...

I think you're going to be having that talk with your wife...
  • Reply 11 of 65
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

[edit] Forget it, already answered by others [/edit]
  • Reply 12 of 65
    I'm not a fan of integrated graphics either, but, you have to look at the other improvements.

Now, the Mini has 5.1 surround sound, Audio In, Max of 2GB of Memory, Intel Core Solo or Duo, 5400 RPM hard drive. I mean, really. This Mac Mini will be able to handle apps that the G4 in the Mini configuration would not have been able to.

I say it is a definite upgrade. Of course nobody wants to pay more, but still $599 is not bad for a Mini. Not to mention WiFi, Blluetooth.

Lets see some of the performance reviews before we judge this integrated graphics thing. Had it been the iMacs with integrated graphics, then I would have been pissed, but it is the Mac Mini.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

euh... 2 RAM slots with 2Gb max.

We should wait for some benchmarks to see what harm is done...

What is kool-aid?

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial4/jonestown/

'Drinking the Kool-Aid' is now used as a term for someone who has been brainwashed.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial4/jonestown/

'Drinking the Kool-Aid' is now used as a term for someone who has been brainwashed.

Wow, you're really a really fast typing modorater.

I was a little distracted by my girlfriend when i typed my reply.

So i deleted it because others already had replyed.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Anyway.

The iBook will probably have integrated graphics in a Core Solo and Core Duo version.

Will Apple introduce a 12"powerbook replacement based on the same formfactor as the iBook but with a seperate GPU?

Or will they introduce an iBook withseperate GPU?

Otherwise i have to buy a larger 15"mbp.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool-aid

Kool-Aid is an artificially-flavored soft drink concentrate made by Kraft Foods. Kool-Aid is sold as a powder to be mixed with water, and versions are made with sugar as well as with an artificial sweetener.

Kool-Aid's predecessor was a liquid concentrate called Fruit-Smack. To reduce shipping costs, in 1927, Edwin Perkins discovered a way to remove the liquid from Fruit-Smack, leaving only a powder. This powder was named Kool-Ade (and a few years later, Kool-Aid).

Kool-Aid Man.

The mascot of Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid Man (aka The Big Man), is a gigantic anthropomorphic frosty pitcher filled with Kool-Aid and marked with a fingerprinted smiley face on it, seen in Kool-Aid's advertising. In TV and print ads, Kool-Aid Man was known for bursting suddenly through walls, seemingly summoned by the making and imbibing of Kool-Aid by kids. His catch-phrase is "Oh, yeah!"

Because the Perkins Products Company had its origins in Nebraska, and the company's founder kept his ties to the state, Kool-Aid was dubbed the official soft drink of Nebraska.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    The new integrated graphics sucks more than the Radeon 9200, but it is waaay better at movie decoding and GUI stuff.

It should do Quartz pretty darn good, and it has hardware support for 16:9 HD stuff.

Its quite good for a media-center computer IMO, but i certainly wouldnt put any game except tetris on it. But hey, who would by it for games anyway?
  • Reply 18 of 65
    The Core Solo is hogging up all of the money.

Apple went from a ~$40 chip to a ~$160 chip.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by jackbauer

And they weren't going to drop their margins.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by jackbauer

Then why release the Intel mini now? Hell, a quiet bump would have been fine. Or they even could have done a placeholder bump, a la the last G5 iMac. Then when the Core prices drop in 2-3 months, ahead of the 2.33 GHz part intro, they could have found a way to keep the entry level model at $499. It may be their plan to lower prices back down to the $499 point in the future. But I doubt it. Apple has been known to lower prices, but this is not nearly as comon as the reverse.

I am pleased with the hardware HD decoding (is it just decoding, or encoding too?). But I honestly wanted to be able to play World of Warcraft too.