Apple unveils Mac mini Core Duo

Comments

• Reply 141 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Cheapest Dell I could find was $1074.70. It had a 2.8 GHz p4, 160GB 3.5 inch HD (free upgrade from 80GB for online orders) though and a 19" analog monitor.

The difference doesn't look that huge to me. The mac mini is smaller.

poeple see "i get a box from apple or a hole package from dell i will go for a dell as i get everything i need for the same money."
  • Reply 142 of 781
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sharp_spot

Done. Elgato EyeTV 200/500 turns your Mac into a DVR, and use Equinux MediaCentral (freeware) instead of Front Row.

The downside: $5-600 for a Mac mini + $3-350 for the EyeTV.

The upside: no monthly fee (a la Tivo), also puts Mac OS X in your living room.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I wonder how many applications are available for the Mac that do this? If this is the only option I'm surprised there are not more.
  • Reply 143 of 781
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

The mac towers have four USB 2 ports. The keyboard also has two USB 1 ports, so you can hook up 4 USB things in addition to your mouse and keyboard.

I just looked at my DP 2.5, it has 3 USB ports: 1 in front, 2 in back. Those keyboard ports don't count and you know it

For the record, I have two 4 port USB hubs hooked up to my G5.
  • Reply 144 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

[.....]

And just how much profit do you think is in sub $500 computers? If you can get $40 you're doing damn good.

[.....]

I wonder if possibly selling cheap[er] (but well built *heh*) computers at a loss to get people to switch or what not and try to gain some marketshare.

Maybe make up that loss through software sales such as iWork and iLife (not the included, but it seems all updates need to be purchases).

Kinda like how supposedly Sony and MS sell their gaming consoles with a loss...something like that.
  • Reply 145 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Thanks for the heads up on that. I wonder how many applications are available for the Mac that do this? If this is the only option I'm surprised there are not more.

not many!

it's the equinux mediacenter is the first I've heard of
  • Reply 146 of 781
    F.Y. I.

I looked on Apples site and all the drives are 7200 rpm and not 5400. Go to the buy area and in the drive area click on learn more.
  • Reply 147 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

It's NOT the only option.

http://www.miglia.com/

For Europe, the MiniTV DVB-T USB stick is £99 and uses the same EyeTV software as the $350 ElGato box.
  • Reply 148 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by furious_

poeple see "i get a box from apple or a hole package from dell i will go for a dell as i get everything i need for the same money."

But they also see smart, underpaid, tech nerds buying macs anyway, and wonder why.

Yeah, the mini is overpriced from a strictly hardware perspective.. In fact, I'm sure all Apple's stuff is. You pay more for the ability to use OS X.

I don't even agree with calling Apples "higher quality".. the original G5's came with Maxtor hard drives... yeah uh Apple just disproved that theory with extreme prejudice. Not to mention the original iMac G5's kept the hard drives above 150°F.. yikes! And that's not to mention the hardware flaws.. think of the iBook and the mainboard arcs! will somebody think of the mainboard arcs!?

Just the OS X tax. I pay it, you pay it, we all gotta deal with what it locks us into and the hardware features it confines us too. Do your research and bite the bullet

OK, can we not argue about this every time they release a new computer?
  • Reply 149 of 781
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Having paid ~$610 for a Mac Mini 1.2 upgraded from 256 to 512 and with built in wifi (NOT BLUETOOTH) and combo drive, I would have GLADLY paid an extra $100 over base for a 1.5GHZ proc, the ability to handle more than a gig of ram (yes, I can fill 12 easilly, I could probably fill a gig too) WIRELESS INCLUDED, frontrow, podcasting in GB without a lot of dicking with XML, AND AUDIO IN...this is WAY better than last years model

I cannot see how anyone can disagree! Where does all the negativity come from?

Of course, I would love a 30" screen thrown in, but I already have a ton of other stuff from all my other macs (23" screen, keyboard up the wazoo and even a megamouse). Why not pop one of these under my best Cube and run it with a 22"Cinema in parallel?
  • Reply 150 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

It's NOT the only option.

http://www.miglia.com/

For Europe, the MiniTV DVB-T USB stick is £99 and uses the same EyeTV software as the $350 ElGato box.

I had a miglia. Don't even think about it.

My EyeTV200 is way better and I haven't used it in about 6 months so the software is probably even more snazy.

The miglia brought my DP800 G4 to a halt and the video quality was repulsive. Also, the PCI card I had wouldn't pause TV.
  • Reply 151 of 781
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Raising the price by $100-stupid

Shared Graphics Memory with motherboard-stupid

No modem-stupid

Small Hard Drives-stupid

Apple once again never fails to dissapoint me.

And steve, you're still here. How many of the low-end machines have you bought. I really do not worry about the Modem ($49/44 if I really need it, or carry a mini around to Hotel rooms and don't run it wirelessly), the Hard drive is more of a problem, but that is PB standard stuff.

The only one I don't understand is the Shared Graphics Memory issue, discussion of which seems a bit overblown here, but I would welcome some serious education on that topic.
  • Reply 152 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eotku

F.Y. I.

I looked on Apples site and all the drives are 7200 rpm and not 5400. Go to the buy area and in the drive area click on learn more.

Actually, you saw under the store option section for harddrives a reference to all drives being 7200rpm.

However, the official specs :

http://www.apple.com/macmini/whatsinside.html

make it clear they are 5400 rpm drives.

Either someone needs to call Apple and verify or its just mere speculation.

My bet is some developer working on the WOF Store screwed up.
  • Reply 153 of 781
    I've been wondering about how Apple has implemented the graphics driver in the Mini.

In a non-integrated Mac, there's a lot of copying of data in and out of VRAM to allow Quartz to composite graphics. It was part of the push behind Quartz 2D Extreme to lessen this traffic by leaving more data in VRAM and using the GPU more. With 30GB/s bandwidth on some graphics cards, that's a bonus.

In the new Mini they seem to be using Dual channel DDR2 667Mhz RAM giving 10.6GB/s bandwidth. Now, if the system is using the same RAM for both VRAM and system RAM, do they still need to copy between system RAM and VRAM? Does it just bypass the Q2DE issues? Any graphics gurus know how this might work?
  • Reply 154 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

OS X was never an open source project. It is and has always been proprietary intellectual property.

Apple is a multibillion dollar publicly traded company that has an obligation to make its share holders money.

Sooooo.....are you saying if Apple was ever able to get Open GL right then a $50 graphics card will offer significant performance over an integrated graphics card?

If not then I have no idea what you are saying.

A: The GMA950 doesn't do OpenGL 2. (http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm)

B: To make an extra $43 per machine for margins trumped going with a better GPU.

C: Not having a BTO option to add on a more expensive but limited choice of GPUs for the consumer on the cusp is intentional as has been mentioned and is a huge risk. You go from $599 to $1299 minimum for an iMac. You can find a monitor for < $799 to make up the gap, not to mention faster graphics, larger drive, so on and so forth.

There should be a BTO to close the gap and that is missing.

This is a stop-gap test system for the upcoming future media center options.

If the response is poor they will modify the system and with feedback address its shortcomings or if it exceeds their margin requirements they'll have to readdress their business model.
  • Reply 155 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Not used it myself. I won't get a DVB-T signal till 2011 apparently. That's ok. I barely watch TV.

They do a couple of analog boxes and a US HD box too.
  • Reply 155 of 781
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

And steve, you're still here. How many of the low-end machines have you bought. I really do not worry about the Modem ($49/44 if I really need it, or carry a mini around to Hotel rooms and don't run it wirelessly), the Hard drive is more of a problem, but that is PB standard stuff.

The only one I don't understand is the Shared Graphics Memory issue, discussion of which seems a bit overblown here, but I would welcome some serious education on that topic.

I still have my iMac G3 400 DV!

I have been waiting to get something worth my money and I figured the Intel Mini would be it. I am moving in August and I was going to give my iMac to my mother and then buy a Mini and use my spare 17 inch monitor with it. I figured for 500 bucks I could afford to get a new computer and while not exactly fast it would be a big improvement over my iMac.

Now, I can still afford the $600 but it doesnt help. Then, I HATE shared Memory-thats usually crap however it won't really affect me much because I'm not a gamer.

Basically I was just hoping to stay at the same price point, but just be a little faster. I expected the modem to be in there for the price because I may not be able to afford a cable modem right away after the move. What is the percentage of people using dial-up? I do believe its still in the majority. Apple basically throws those users out the window. I think thats dumb.

Bottom line-I will be buying the Mini because I really don't have any choice.

But I'm not happy about it.
  • Reply 157 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

A: The GMA950 doesn't do OpenGL 2. (http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm)

Surely that's just a matter of it not having a driver written for OpenGL 2 yet? Or is there some specific hardware feature that's required for OpenGL 2 compliance?

And is that a big deal anyway unless you're a gamer or a 3D modelling pro, both of which are unlikely to be buying a $600 computer?
  • Reply 158 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Surely that's just a matter of it not having a driver written for OpenGL 2 yet? Or is there some specific hardware feature that's required for OpenGL 2 compliance?

And is that a big deal anyway unless you're a gamer or a 3D modelling pro, both of which are unlikely to be buying a $600 computer?

What do you think Quartz uses to accelerate the WindowServer?
  • Reply 159 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eotku

F.Y. I.

Check again.

edit: actually...my bad, it does say 7200 in the 'Learn More' section...everywhere else, however, it was 5400.
  • Reply 160 of 781
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

My EyeTV200 is way better and I haven't used it in about 6 months so the software is probably even more snazy.

The miglia brought my DP800 G4 to a halt and the video quality was repulsive. Also, the PCI card I had wouldn't pause TV.

Try reading the post that you quoted again. The miglia TV mini uses the same software as Eye TV.

The miniTV is just a DVB-T receiver/demodulator. It is unlikely to affect picture quality, as the output should just be the bit-stream that was transmitted by the T.V. station*. The thing that will affect picture quality is the software, in this case EyeTV, so the picture should have the same quality as when using EyeTV DVB-T hardware.

* if the receive amplifier is poor, the error-rate would be higher than for a different receiver with better amplifier performance in the same signal conditions.