No Excuses

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    No thanks my weenie is large enough. As for a computers foot print. Who cares how small it is. Its not a laptop. Either way how the heck is it supposed to run cool if its so packed. Yeah your right I should try a dell. They never tried to sell me a 100 dollar leather case for my mp3 player. Too bad your the guy that pays for it. Apple is really taking all you guys for a ride because you don't see how much they charge you. Now what is the excuse?
  • Reply 42 of 99
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by antartican

They never tried to sell me a 100 dollar leather case for my mp3 player. Too bad your the guy that pays for it. Apple is really taking all you guys for a ride because you don't see how much they charge you.

But...if I'm not mistaken...if you don't actually buy the $100 iPod case...ummm...you aren't paying for anything...and...umm...you aren't getting over-charged for anything either. Uhhh...do I have that right? Ohh...yeah...I do.

• Reply 43 of 99
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    I, for one, will not be purchasing the $99 iPod case. I will also not be getting the $500 Gucci iPod case. Nor will I be buying the $10,000 diamond encrusted iPod case.

Seems to me like nobody is forcing you to buy the case. In fact, and I realise this may be news to you: Apple lets you use any case you wish with your iPod, whether it's $10 or $10,000.

Don't feed the troll.
  • Reply 44 of 99
    Quote:

How about reasonable prices. In the end plastic costs just the same to cast if its ugly or not.

Cheapo Geek !

Go build yourself a piece of crap computer from spare parts and install Linux or whatever you geeks do !

I these kids trolling around and dispensing their misery about Apple being too expensive , nah, nah , nah....bwa!

Go away ! Be gone ! Shoo !
  • Reply 45 of 99
    Ummm news flash the $99 italian (hand crafted) made iPod case is probably going to sell very well and it's probably not targeted for most people.

Example:

I can see upper middle class women and men and celebrities buying this to go along with there italian clothes, wallets, handbags, etc.

Heck I even see kids buying just because it's expensive and made in italy.

oh and Steve making a big deal out of it.. it's called marketing!

I guess you didn't notice but every news site and paper had tuesdays event and that in itself will make quite a few people go and check it out themselves and I bet you a few people will buy them!

So dude quit your trolling...
  • Reply 46 of 99
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ebolagp

Agreed. Why else would they bother to put GIGABIT ETHERNET on an entry level machine if not to allow the future downloading of full length movies...

Yeah, gigabiit ethernet is definitely needed for downloads... I feel so very sorry for all those millions of unfortunate people whose internet connections saturate their 100baseT ethernet!

• Reply 47 of 99
    peepeeseepeepeesee Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

*sigh* not again.

why can't apple ever get it right. why can't apple sell a mini with imac specs and price it under $500. why can't apple make my weenie larger.

come on people. i look at the mini and i see a damn fine computer.

if i were shopping for a new computer, and my choices were a $500 g4 mini or a $600 core solo mini, i'd buy the solo mini in a jiffy.

complaining about better technology seems retarded. so you have to pay $100 extra dollars for the low end mini. big deal when you consider how long you get to keep the computer and all the goodies you get, the machine's small footprint, brand name, extra usb ports, remote control, you get the idea.

What exactly are you going to be doing on that mini with all this better technology that's worth 100 dollars more?

They either need to make the machine we all want or make a really cheap mini. None of this in between crap.
  • Reply 48 of 99
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    @bergz:

interesting thought!

iSight+iChat+openGL.....

now, the basic machine goes wireless, has the native ability to receive&show HDTv content etc... iTunes+bonjour+...

as I wrote a long time ago here, Apple's strategy seems to me to create an "invisible" computer... the "TFT only" is not end-of-the-road... we see wireless keyboards/mouse, we see a very small (intelligent) remote (interface), we carry 10000 cds in our palm... next step will be the "hiddin" computer, a box, somewhere in your household; we will have access anywhere, we will see/hear any content anywhere.

you can accomplish that with today's Apple technology, but I'm sure, we will see in the near future some "combo", as Mac+iTunes+iPod+iTMS is a nice combo, simplicity+integration... you can do that with any media, your own, from others or bought ones...

besides: what are the needs of a "beginner"? not to spend too much money or to get a reliable, everything-goes system? Grandpa said: buying cheap means buying twice
  • Reply 49 of 99
    opnsourceopnsource Posts: 216member
    Quote:

Apple is really taking all you guys for a ride because you don't see how much they charge you. Now what is the excuse?

Let me see... Yep. I can see the monitor in front of me. And let's see... Yep. I can read the words and numbers on the screen.

I just checked, and I can see exactly what Apple is charging me for thier computers. I'll give you a little inside info: The Mac Faithful have always been willing to spend the extra $100 or so to get a superior product.

Now crawl back under your bridge.
  • Reply 50 of 99
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    If there was this "machine we all want", I'd be all for Apple making it. However, there is no such machine.

I for one want a powerful processor (core Duo 2.33), lots of memory and no expansion slots. Don't care about all sorts of audio and video in and outs either. I need the processor for some models I'm running, but it's not work, just fun. I also want a small size, so the PowerMac is not my idea of the machine I want.

Essentially, a headless iMac is what I want. Others want lots of other stuff. There's not such machine that would please everyone.

Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

What exactly are you going to be doing on that mini with all this better technology that's worth 100 dollars more?

They either need to make the machine we all want or make a really cheap mini. None of this in between crap.

• Reply 51 of 99
    Quote:

No thanks my weenie is large enough. As for a computers foot print. Who cares how small it is. Its not a laptop. Either way how the heck is it supposed to run cool if its so packed. Yeah your right I should try a dell. They never tried to sell me a 100 dollar leather case for my mp3 player. Too bad your the guy that pays for it. Apple is really taking all you guys for a ride because you don't see how much they charge you. Now what is the excuse?

And when compared to any other small-form computer...Your just comparing old mac mini to new mac mini. Apple specifically said that the case was a luxery item. It seems like they just want some of the ipod accesory area, and not all of it. Did they say you had to buy that leather case? No. Will the people who are millionaires care about 100 dollers...probably not. They arn't trying to market it to you. That would be like saying "wilson audio's speakers are way overpriced." because their top of the line speakers sell for about 130000. Well you know your not going to get those because your not in that level of luxery. Think things through. The mac mini had some upgrades that some people are ignoring because it isn't speed or graphics. Wireless and blu-tooth built in...doesn't that same component cost 100 dollers right there?
  • Reply 52 of 99
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Wow! So much whining for a $500/$600 computer.

The Macmini is a good deal IMHO. Most people wants a macmini with a Powermac performance for $600. Forget it it won't happen.

The mini is intend to people who wants to surf the net, do word processing and use the Ilife programs. If you need more power buy the Imac or powermac and stop whining.

I just spent over $500 in RAM for my powermac quad. So, to get a stylish computer for that amount of money seems very reasonable to me.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    ebolagpebolagp Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Yeah, gigabiit ethernet is definitely needed for downloads... I feel so very sorry for all those millions of unfortunate people whose internet connections saturate their 100baseT ethernet!

Downloading a full length movie with decent quality will require fast internet connections. The point I was making is that the presence of gigabit ethernet on the computer is a worthless expense that Apple would likely not have implemented if not for the potential of downloading very large files - i.e. movies. get it?

Just in case you still do not: 1) Apple is in the business of making money. 2) Gigabit ethernet costs more to implement that 100BT 3) If a cost is not justified by a business strategy, it will likely not be included in the final product 4) Gigabit ethernet was included in the final product of an otherwise low cost item 5) Therefore we can extrapolate that the long term view for this product includes some kind of functionality that would require a fat internet connection. --> In other words, likely NOT internet browing or downloading 128bit encoded AAC files from iTunes...
  • Reply 54 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

Wow! So much whining for a $500/$600 computer.

The Macmini is a good deal IMHO. Most people wants a macmini with a Powermac performance for $600. Forget it it won't happen.

The mini is intend to people who wants to surf the net, do word processing and use the Ilife programs. If you need more power buy the Imac or powermac and stop whining.

I just spent over $500 in RAM for my powermac quad. So, to get a stylish computer for that amount of money seems very reasonable to me.

You know I don't really care what it is intended for, my wants/needs do not revolve around what Apple has deemed xyz's uses for.

I want more performance for less money. That's what drives the economy. I swear if everyone thought about purchasing everything like mac zealots do Apple products then change would come VERY slowly.
  • Reply 55 of 99
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

Most people wants a macmini with a Powermac performance for $600.

no. most 'whiners' want a $500 computer for $500, nothing more - nothing less...
  • Reply 56 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by ebolagp

Downloading a full length movie with decent quality will require fast internet connections. The point I was making is that the presence of gigabit ethernet on the computer is a worthless expense that Apple would likely not have implemented if not for the potential of downloading very large files - i.e. movies. get it?

Just in case you still do not: 1) Apple is in the business of making money. 2) Gigabit ethernet costs more to implement that 100BT 3) If a cost is not justified by a business strategy, it will likely not be included in the final product 4) Gigabit ethernet was included in the final product of an otherwise low cost item 5) Therefore we can extrapolate that the long term view for this product includes some kind of functionality that would require a fat internet connection. --> In other words, likely NOT internet browing or downloading 128bit encoded AAC files from iTunes...

Except you fail to understand that internet speeds being able to saturate a 100Mbit ethernet connection aren't likely to be around to even half of a quarter of the population with even less people actually buying said services any time soon. I'm guessing like 10 years before it's widely available.

So why would Apple put a gigabit ethernet port on the mini? My guess is they already have it on the Powermac, Powerbook, iMac, and now the mini. I would guess that they probably get a discount on buying more gigabit ethernet parts so the cost of buying slower 100Mbit parts is negligible and with whatever kind of discount I imagine they get from buying more gigabit parts makes up for the difference in cost and hey, we all get gigabit ethernet. It just doesn't make sense that they did it for the ability to download large files fast. Even FIOS which is by far the most widespread and technologically advanced fiber network used for end user access(and the area it covers is TINY) doesn't even offer 100Mbit service, they do offer 30Mbit but it costs 180 to 200$ right now.
  • Reply 57 of 99
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tubgirl

no. most 'whiners' want a $500 computer for $500, nothing more - nothing less...

I hate to disagree with you on this one. You're pretty sharp and have corrected me on a couple of occasions. However, is the $100 that critical to you? Is it a deal breaker? Does it make the new mini a bad computer? I was initially concerned about the lack of a video card but have since concluded it's probably not that big of a deal. Sure Apple could churn out $399 boxes like Dell. Profit would be miniscule. How does that help the platform? People buy Apple for the design and superior function not price. IMO apple is a niche player and does not/will not appeal to the masses. Thats ok as long as they put out better products than MS/Dell.
  • Reply 58 of 99
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    My God ... this has to be the most pointless thread ... all started by a damned troll who couldn't post in the thread already going on about the mini.

Bottom line: Apple updated the Mini to go with their transition to Intel. You all knew this was going to happen. Why can't we put the Celeron in there and make it cheaper ... okay, well you wanted Intel and you wanted performance, Apple gave it to you and now you want to bitch and ask for a weaker processor ... but wait, I forgot, you also want to be able to play Doom 3. You want 3.5" drives, you want PCI-Express graphics and memormy in one DIMM instead of two. Guess what ... all that adds to Apple's cost which adds to your cost. By the way ... they have that computer already. It's called an iMac ... or a PowerMac.

$100??? Really, come on people. If buying an entry level headless Mac is important to you, then budget your cash, get a job, saved 100 bucks and get one.

Grrr ... pointless ... stupid and pointless ... I can't continue...
  • Reply 59 of 99
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

$100??? Really, come on people. If buying an entry level headless Mac is important to you, then budget your cash, get a job, saved 100 bucks and get one.

Too busy posting their complaints intsead of working for the extra dough.

When Porsche tried to go "budget" car -- the 914, the 924 -- it was a joke. You want a Porsche, you pay for it. And we won't even talk about a Ferrari. I think Apple is of that caliber. You want a Yugo, go buy a Dell; you aren't going to get a Ferrari for the same price.

But that's just my 1 cent.
  • Reply 60 of 99
    Well yeah you guys are right. What can you really expect a computer to be for 500$. But then again and again you guys smash microsoft for being a money hungry corporation that doesn't care about people. Well what is the difference bewteen them and apple. Microsoft doesn't sell 100$ leather covers. They sell software that is available to everyone at a reasonable price. Apple is suppose to inovate and be the geek's computer company. Well how the heck is that supposed to hapen if profits are being put first. My problem is now that apple uses intel chips. Now that apple is moving into mainstream chips how is apple supposed to justify its $2000 notebook prices. Which is $500 over the real price of any other windows notebook. Tell me that it is not a money hungry corporation. Put your prices next to dell, gateway, sony. Then inovate. Now that is the apple that the normal consumer wants. Not a fashion statement oriented company that is full of fanatic customers that are constantly brainwashed to pay for inflated prices. Please o please apple keep inovating.