No Excuses

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by antartican

No thanks my weenie is large enough. As for a computers foot print. Who cares how small it is. Its not a laptop. Either way how the heck is it supposed to run cool if its so packed. Yeah your right I should try a dell. They never tried to sell me a 100 dollar leather case for my mp3 player. Too bad your the guy that pays for it. Apple is really taking all you guys for a ride because you don't see how much they charge you. Now what is the excuse?

dude, people care about the mini's small footprint. if you don't, you're absolutely right. you need a big bulky dell. you're not the target for this kind of computer. but just because you don't like all the specs (or the $600 tag) it doesn't mean it's a bunch of crap. you're not the target for this product. now get over it. here boy, http://www.dell.com
  • Reply 62 of 99
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Well yeah you guys are right. What can you really expect a computer to be for 500$. But then again and again you guys smash microsoft for being a money hungry corporation that doesn't care about people. Well what is the difference bewteen them and apple. Microsoft doesn't sell 100$ leather covers. They sell software that is available to everyone at a reasonable price. Apple is suppose to inovate and be the geek's computer company. Well how the heck is that supposed to hapen if profits are being put first. My problem is now that apple uses intel chips. Now that apple is moving into mainstream chips how is apple supposed to justify its $2000 notebook prices. Which is $500 over the real price of any other windows notebook. Tell me that it is not a money hungry corporation. Put your prices next to dell, gateway, sony. Then inovate. Now that is the apple that the normal consumer wants. Not a fashion statement oriented company that is full of fanatic customers that are constantly brainwashed to pay for inflated prices. Please o please apple keep inovating.

WTF??? Apple is a computer company. They have to make money. You can't get a computer to do all the stuff you want a PowerMac to do in the Mini for $399. You can bitch and moan all you want about it, but it won't happen. Is Apple being greedy? No, Apple is making money ... Sony is going to take an ENORMOUS hit on the PS3 ... if they can get it out the door, because their customers wanted all this advanced stuff in the console, but they don't want to pay more than $399 for it.

And the leather cover, Troll, please ... is Gucci money-hungry for offering a $500 cover? No, Gucci is appealing to their customer base by offering a product they will pay for. Would I buy the $99 cover ... no, because I don't like the look. Is Apple greedy for selling it at $99 ... no. Can you get one cheaper ... sure. Please don't gripe because they're trying to appeal to a luxery market with a luxery good (Steve called it a luxery item when he introduced it...)

MS and software - Reasonable?

You find it reasonable to pay $199 - $299 for an OPERATING SYSTEM? But OS X is $129 ... that's *only* $70 less. But then again, if I buy a Mac, I get a better operating system inside a well engineered computer that will work when I turn it on. So I can't replace the hard drive ... or the GPU ... I'm also not going to have hardware compatibility issues down the road. Mainstream chips? WTF? What does that have to do with anything? Do YOU know the price Dell is paying per CPU ... what about the price Apple is paying for CPU? Didn't think so ... I'm willing to bet Apple is paying somewhat more because their volume isn't as high, and guess what ... that transfers to the consumer.

Also, we're not *brainwashed* to pay inflated prices. We've drunk some hefty kool-aid dealing with a lifestyle that revolves around ease of use, great looks, and solid design ... not to mention an Operating System that doesn't leave us crying at the end of the day.
  • Reply 63 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

What exactly are you going to be doing on that mini with all this better technology that's worth 100 dollars more?

They either need to make the machine we all want or make a really cheap mini. None of this in between crap.

is that a rhetorical question? in case it is not, well, connect to bluetooth devices, use the extra usb ports and not purchase external, ugly usb hubs, things like that. why is it so hard to understand? small is beautiful.

i guess you can't please everybody. next.
  • Reply 64 of 99
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Well yeah you guys are right. What can you really expect a computer to be for 500$. But then again and again you guys smash microsoft for being a money hungry corporation that doesn't care about people. Well what is the difference bewteen them and apple. Microsoft doesn't sell 100$ leather covers. They sell software that is available to everyone at a reasonable price. Apple is suppose to inovate and be the geek's computer company. Well how the heck is that supposed to hapen if profits are being put first. My problem is now that apple uses intel chips. Now that apple is moving into mainstream chips how is apple supposed to justify its $2000 notebook prices. Which is $500 over the real price of any other windows notebook. Tell me that it is not a money hungry corporation. Put your prices next to dell, gateway, sony. Then inovate. Now that is the apple that the normal consumer wants. Not a fashion statement oriented company that is full of fanatic customers that are constantly brainwashed to pay for inflated prices. Please o please apple keep inovating.

This shit needs to stop. You are sound like a complete moron.

You're arguing the leather covers shouldn't exist because you don't want them? It's called a price point, if you don't want to meet it guess what you don't have to. There are people that will because they want to, that's their choice just like not buying it is yours.

That can be found in EVERY business.

Only have 150000 for a house? Don't buy a 300000 one. Only have 20 bucks for a case? Don't buy a $99 one.

I guess we should hate all contractors, and all companies as well for owning mansions or having things in the world that not everyone can afford.

That's just the dumbest reasoning I've every heard for something not to exist.

---------

You arguement about computers is stupid too.

"I DON'T NEED AIRPORT OR BLUETOOTH WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM, WTF!"

With that reasoning why EVER make a computer that is better or stronger, I guess every computer should just be able to do today's things and that's all.

Bluetooth phones, keyboards and mice would never exist if the technology wasn't in computers.

Leaving it out doesn't get people used to it, doesn't drive down the price of bluetooth component, doesn't make a market for other bluetooth things to exist and doesn't evolve technology.

By making things like that standard they become more useful and common place.

"Hey WTF why is there an ethernet card in my computer if I use dial up? I shouldn't have to pay for this shit!"

It's attitudes like that things will never change or advance, that's backwards thinking.

"Why is there a COLOUR TUBE in my tv if everything is broadcast in black and white!?"

Now does that mean that the 499 price point shouldn't exist. No, if they can afford to sell it for that they should. But that doesn't mean they should drop what are now-a-days important components (bluetooth and airport) the number of people using those technologies is growing everyday and machines like this contribute to it.

I never used bluetooth before my current mini, now I use it to connect my computer and my phone, mice and keyboards and I prefer it that way. I am happier now. I would never have purchased a bluetooth dongle thing myself so I owe the mini for introducing me to the technology.

I am sure the same is true for millions of other people.

They didn't buy wireless cards until their computers came with them, now they can purchase a wireless router and no longer need to run cables all over the house.

That's what happened with my parents house and I'm sure with millions of other people.

Your reason stops the development of technology, your reasoning doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 65 of 99
    Quote:

Because companies can stay in business that don't make money right?

Show me a core duo mini form factor pc?

Oh wait there is one here it is:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=937

"there are plans to build fully furnished systems in Taiwan for a little under $1000 USD."

And the mini comes in at what 799, that's too expensive I'd rather pay 1000 for the aopen!

"Put your prices next to dell, gateway, sony. Then inovate."

Show me their equivalent intel mac mini, intel imac, and macbook pro and how much cheaper it is.

No, go, on I'll wait.

Still waiting....

Still waiting...

Alright fuck this I'm gonna go to his house to see what the hell is going on

*Opens the door, finding him having hanged himself*

Oh my god he killed himself!

Right now apple is not shipping overly expensive machines, there ARE fairly comparable in price and are lighter, better designed, don't run windows and come with ilife. So I guess they've done the job you claimed couldn't be done but I guess you knew that, so that's why you commited suicide. What a terrible tragedy, what a waste of a perfectly good troll.

He was always so good for coming around and making claims without posting any information, god I'll miss him.
  • Reply 66 of 99
    "This shit needs to stop. You are sound like a complete moron." Nice gramar. Anyways, show me a system like the mini. Of course there is no tissue box looking pc on the market. Why would anyone buy an overpriced tiny box with a laptop hd and a laptop procesor when its life is destined to be in a house. The windows OS is way better than any apple system that is why it is more expensive. Crashes happen because we can play all the games on this god given earth. Not only the ones King Steve Jobs begs developers to port. I don't know if all of you guys noticed but that computer that never crashes is 30% more expensive than a comparable pc, runs only apple software, not compatible with the rest of the world. I've run windows my entire life. Sure it crashes just like Linux. Theres ways to get over it. But atleast I didn't pay 500 dollars more for my new laptop. Or atleast I don't have to use applications that are slow because of the intel chip conversion. Most importantly Im not being brainwashed by King Steve. Sure Sony is not making any money on its new ps3. But then again if the PS3 is a hit and their famous hd dvd gets out the door they will recoup all their costs. Maybe if apple would get the new pcs out the door it would make a much bigger fan base. Too unfotunate that only apple fanatics pay the inflated prices. By the way only apple fanatics take time to make up the new ipod and talk about that stupid rumor. Wow I didn't realize I was such a windows fan. Thankyou guys. The only reason why im venting in an apple forum is because I really like the apple that all you fanatics pedal. But seriously why overcharge why over hype. If apple really loved us all it would be just another computer company in reference to prices. It would also be much more accesible. Please apple be reasonable.

Finally all you guys with the personal atacks; remember that vulgarity is the first sign of desperation.
  • Reply 67 of 99
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Another very big troll

--B
  • Reply 68 of 99
    Quote:

"This shit needs to stop. You are sound like a complete moron." Nice gramar.

Yes! A gramatical error makes everything I said invalid!

Quote:

Sure Sony is not making any money on its new ps3. But then again if the PS3 is a hit and their famous hd dvd gets out the door they will recoup all their costs. Maybe if apple would get the new pcs out the door it would make a much bigger fan base.

That's nothing the same when a console is sold people NEED to buy games, possibly another controller, maybe some sort of memory card. This is guaranteed money for console companies.

A computer company doesn't work like that especially not apple with what they give you. If a 399 mac mini existed I could buy that and never have to give apple another dime. It already comes with everything most users need sans word processor, which free office or whatever it's called can be downloaded from the net.

That is why sony and microsoft can afford to take price hits and dell is restructuring their business model because they cannot.

Quote:

I don't know if all of you guys noticed but that computer that never crashes is 30% more expensive than a comparable pc, runs only apple software, not compatible with the rest of the world.

I have never read something more untrue.

Quote:

If apple really loved us all it would be just another computer company in reference to prices. It would also be much more accesible. Please apple be reasonable.

Yes because apple can run the tight ship on hardware, software and os and still sell at dell rebate prices(which are being phased out).

Because every other company also makes it's own OS right? Dell OS5 and HP OS7 sure are up there with windows.

Quote:

Finally all you guys with the personal atacks; remember that vulgarity is the first sign of desperation.

Umm not it's not, that's some 1950's housewife bs. I don't need to type eloquently to be right or to get a point across. I could but it's the damn internet and I never spend more than 2 minutes writing a reply, nor do I care enough. Yeah, think that not typing like we're in the Victorian age means I'm not educated or archaic, whatever buddy, whatever makes you able to sleep at night.
  • Reply 69 of 99
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

vulgarity is the first sign of desperation.

I read that trolling is the first sign of ittybittypenisitis.

--B
  • Reply 70 of 99
    "That is why sony and microsoft can afford to take price hits and dell is restructuring their business model because they cannot" Another gramatical error. Its not so much that it renders it invalid. But that it fails to communicate your point; which I never said made your statement invalid by the way. Also no it is not a 1950s housewive bs, how do you know how they talked back then did you live there at that time. Or where you a housewife in the 1950s? True sony can take a hit. But also dell does it. An OS will never justify the price of a mac. Like I said is around $500. No one has been able to point out why all apples are 30-40% more expensive than any other computer on the market. It seems to me that you guys are all the windows rejects that got frustated and mad at the OS and decided to switch based on irrationability and impulse. I mean it would make sense why else would anyone pay the prices.
  • Reply 71 of 99
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

"This shit needs to stop. You are sound like a complete moron." Nice gramar. Anyways, show me a system like the mini. Of course there is no tissue box looking pc on the market. Why would anyone buy an overpriced tiny box with a laptop hd and a laptop procesor when its life is destined to be in a house. The windows OS is way better than any apple system that is why it is more expensive. Crashes happen because we can play all the games on this god given earth. Not only the ones King Steve Jobs begs developers to port. I don't know if all of you guys noticed but that computer that never crashes is 30% more expensive than a comparable pc, runs only apple software, not compatible with the rest of the world. I've run windows my entire life. Sure it crashes just like Linux. Theres ways to get over it. But atleast I didn't pay 500 dollars more for my new laptop. Or atleast I don't have to use applications that are slow because of the intel chip conversion. Most importantly Im not being brainwashed by King Steve. Sure Sony is not making any money on its new ps3. But then again if the PS3 is a hit and their famous hd dvd gets out the door they will recoup all their costs. Maybe if apple would get the new pcs out the door it would make a much bigger fan base. Too unfotunate that only apple fanatics pay the inflated prices. By the way only apple fanatics take time to make up the new ipod and talk about that stupid rumor. Wow I didn't realize I was such a windows fan. Thankyou guys. The only reason why im venting in an apple forum is because I really like the apple that all you fanatics pedal. But seriously why overcharge why over hype. If apple really loved us all it would be just another computer company in reference to prices. It would also be much more accesible. Please apple be reasonable.

I've run Debian Linux for the past 5 years. It doesn't crash. X may crash occasionally due to updates via Unstable/Sid but don't bring in Linux to justify Windows dumpin' repeatedly. Having used Windows from 3.0 to XP the most solid one was 2k and it still dumps way more often than Linux.

Linux and OS X are much more solid. What separates the two, today, is where OS X trumps Linux when concerning complete integration from hardware to software: it's the main selling point by Apple so it better be as accurate as possible.

Cocoa is a much more elegant set of frameworks and the MVC paradigm offered with it starts at the XNU Kernel through to user space applications.

OS X and Linux are the OS options, with perhaps FreeBSD for obvious reasons that I'll put my efforts in. If I run Solaris it will be on-the-job. I've personally turned down jobs that require Windows as the platform--I had to swallow hard with using it for 7 years and that was long enough.
  • Reply 72 of 99
    Quote:

"That is why sony and microsoft can afford to take price hits and dell is restructuring their business model because they cannot" Another gramatical error. Its not so much that it renders it invalid. But that it fails to communicate your point; which I never said made your statement invalid by the way. Also no it is not a 1950s housewive bs, how do you know how they talked back then did you live there at that time. Or where you a housewife in the 1950s? True sony can take a hit. But also dell does it. An OS will never justify the price of a mac. Like I said is around $500. No one has been able to point out why all apples are 30-40% more expensive than any other computer on the market. It seems to me that you guys are all the windows rejects that got frustated and mad at the OS and decided to switch based on irrationability and impulse. I mean it would make sense why else would anyone pay the prices.

Dell's stock is crap now look at a stock chart, they will no longer take hits and are busy revising their strategy. Why the hell should apple follow in it's footsteps?

And you still have not produced a machine that is 30-40% less without some sort of rebate.

And I'm sick of this so I won't be responding any further.
  • Reply 73 of 99
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Yes I"m a windows reject. Lets get that out of the way right off the bat. There are things Apple can do and things Apple should do. Building a $399 computer and turning a profit may be possible. You can be damn sure that it won't have Apple's 30% margins however. Say they get 10%, and that may be generous. They get a whopping $40 profit on each sale. Say margins are 5%, $20 profit. For that they probably make a crippled machine which causes enthusiasts to bitch as well as new adopters. Is this the way you want your switchers to have their new mac experience? On a cheap box. Listen to people who buy low cost dells. They aint singing dell's praises. Apple has always cost more than pcs. I got pissed and bought some dells. You see where I am now. It's the price of progress.
  • Reply 74 of 99
    I didn't know apple's profit margin is so low. Guess your right then. Sounds to me like the walmart effect. But now that they have a more mainstream way of building pcs. Shouldn't they get with everyones prices?
  • Reply 75 of 99
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

An OS will never justify the price of a mac. Like I said is around $500. No one has been able to point out why all apples are 30-40% more expensive than any other computer on the market. It seems to me that you guys are all the windows rejects that got frustated and mad at the OS and decided to switch based on irrationability and impulse. I mean it would make sense why else would anyone pay the prices.

First off, if you want to bitch about grammar, PLEASE use it correctly yourself. I have a hard enough time reading your posts as it is ... WTF is that last sentence supposed to say anyway.

That said, lets focus on how moronic you sound...

We're not all Windows rejects. I use tri-platform to do engineering work. At home I've tinkered with Linux but never seen the need to use it when my iMac suits my everyday needs. I used WIndows from 3.1 and the program manager until XP Pro and had both Mac and PC boxes in my home at one point. I just couldn't deal with the way Windows ran. I hated everything about it, so I moved to doign everything on the Mac for home use. I still use it when forced to to run code when I can't use the Linux boxes at work. So yeah ... it's not like we dumped it because of just a bad experience ... OS X is easier to use and more suited to my everyday computing experience, so I use it.

Now why are Apple computers more expensive? This is slightly complicated, but I'll see if I can make you understand.

1) Apple sells lower volumes than Dell. Dell is probably getting a bigger break on components than Apple is because they buy more of them and they stockpile them for the crap-load of build on stuff that you need but they don't include. (Cough *Wireless* Cough - I mean who else but Dell would sell a notebook with no wireless built-in??)

2) Dell sells enough computers that they can be happy with 5 or 6% margins. Apple doesn't move as much hardware because of their smaller market so they need to increase their margins to cover this.

3) Premium, Premium, Premium - People will pay more for something they know is good and know will start up and know they won't have to sell their soul to McAfee or Symantec to protect. The could build Benz's with cheaper parts, but they don't. There is a portion of the population willing to pay the money for the extra performance and reliability

So there's part of the reason Apple computers cost more. If you don't like it, don't pay it. It's your right as a consumer.
  • Reply 76 of 99
    "Shouldn't they get with everyones prices"- yes everyone as the computer business. Ahh to hard to handle? Okay you can't get with windows. But somehow the Mac is better. Wow that is something strange. Why would 95% of the world use windows if it was such a screw up. The only reason why dell sells so many products is because they are in touch with the average guy. Not like apple and its loyal subjects. Seriously if you can get a better pc at dell why even buy an apple. Just because you can't understand windows. Hmm. Fine then. It just to complicated for me you say. Windows crashes. Get over it. Just press the reset key. Just like that you are back in the system. That isn't worth the 30% premium. The only reason why apple is so screwed up is because there are people like you that supply apple with cash. Maybe if you had some comon sense apple could come into the pc market for real. Not just as a kinky alternative for 5% of the world. I don't pay 2000$ for an intel notebook, thats 1500 in all the major computer company stores. I guess your the morron.
  • Reply 77 of 99
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Humm...

I rather pay $2000 for an Apple laptop than a weak and bug PC laptop.

I had three Apple laptops and they lasted each more than 4 years flawlessly without any major problems or bugs. I call it quality. I rather pay top price for a product that is reliable, beautiful and bug free. Plus on top of that an elegant OS system that Apple gives me.

If you like PCs good for you, but I don't feel at all like a moron when I use a Mac. Actually quite the opposite.
  • Reply 78 of 99
    Quote:

"Shouldn't they get with everyones prices"- yes everyone as the computer business. Ahh to hard to handle? Okay you can't get with windows. But somehow the Mac is better. Wow that is something strange. Why would 95% of the world use windows if it was such a screw up. The only reason why dell sells so many products is because they are in touch with the average guy. Not like apple and its loyal subjects. Seriously if you can get a better pc at dell why even buy an apple. Just because you can't understand windows. Hmm. Fine then. It just to complicated for me you say. Windows crashes. Get over it. Just press the reset key. Just like that you are back in the system. That isn't worth the 30% premium. The only reason why apple is so screwed up is because there are people like you that supply apple with cash. Maybe if you had some comon sense apple could come into the pc market for real. Not just as a kinky alternative for 5% of the world. I don't pay 2000$ for an intel notebook, thats 1500 in all the major computer company stores. I guess your the morron.

<sigh> Since I see that you have no interest in an intelligent debate over your very flawed and obscure philosophies you go ahead and keep your $1500 notebook from dell or hp or compaq or wherever. You could get a cheaper notebook from Apple. The iBook sits at $999 right now, BTW. In anycase, enjoy playing with yourself on the board...
  • Reply 79 of 99
    This is my last reply to you.

Quote:

Why would 95% of the world use windows if it was such a screw up.

You think the world using windows a lot has ANYTHING to do with quality or choice? You've never heard of all the unethical businesses practices and bullying that it took microsoft to get to the top? You think NO one else other than apple and microsoft ever wanted to make an OS and sell it to the masses?

Ever heard of anti-trust?

I'm sorry I was done with this thread but I think it's amazing that you believe windows is the most popular operating system because people ACTUALLY like it. I believe it or not most windows users don't really care for it but it's the lack of places to buy apple computers in comparison to windows(which is slowly changing), the fact that their business uses it, that their school does, that their friends do and that other than apple there is no OS for the average user.

I dare you to walk into a bestbuy, circut city or what and find me something other than Windows and Mac OSX.

Microsoft is extremely connected up and wealthy beyond belief you'd be extremely naive if you don't think they use that money and those connections to own the game.

You think shit like THIS just randomly happens?

Yeah like people REALLY have a choice.
  • Reply 80 of 99
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

Except you fail to understand that internet speeds being able to saturate a 100Mbit ethernet connection aren't likely to be around to even half of a quarter of the population with even less people actually buying said services any time soon. I'm guessing like 10 years before it's widely available.

So why would Apple put a gigabit ethernet port on the mini? My guess is they already have it on the Powermac, Powerbook, iMac, and now the mini. I would guess that they probably get a discount on buying more gigabit ethernet parts so the cost of buying slower 100Mbit parts is negligible and with whatever kind of discount I imagine they get from buying more gigabit parts makes up for the difference in cost and hey, we all get gigabit ethernet. It just doesn't make sense that they did it for the ability to download large files fast. Even FIOS which is by far the most widespread and technologically advanced fiber network used for end user access(and the area it covers is TINY) doesn't even offer 100Mbit service, they do offer 30Mbit but it costs 180 to 200$ right now.

This seems very plausible and is in all probability the correct reason. But, if Apple did in fact bump up to gigabit ethernet speeds for some other reasons, what would they be? I'm asking because I really haven't a clue. (Techno ignorant I am)

What possible gizmo could Apple be thinking of that would require gigabit ethernet speeds - anything?