Apple VP: No current plans for TiVo-like Mac mini

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    Why are the news media so stupid?
  • Reply 22 of 99
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    This means one will be announced in the next 12 months. It's not until Apple deny they're doing something that they make it - mark my words. I think I remember - we're not going to make a video iPod. We're not going to make a cut-down Mac etc.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Based on comments here, I assume that the US doesn't have the equivalent of Sky+.

Is that right?
  • Reply 24 of 99
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I agree with the poster above. There is NO chance, I repeate, NO MARKET for an iPod that plays Video. Not a chance. Read my lips, NOT A CHANCE.

Regards,

Steve Jobs
  • Reply 25 of 99
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    p.s. flash-based mp3 players are for toooools.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Mac users don't care what the rest of society likes, or doesn't. It does not matter as much to us to do what every one else is doing.

But Apple isn't marketing this stuff to "Mac users". They are marketing to everyone. Apple didn't sell 40 million iPods to "Mac users". They are looking at what the entire market wants. While "Mac users" may be...from time to time...trend-setters...they can also be arrogant bastards. Apple's decisions about DVRs, movie stores, video iPods, and so on will be based on what the overall market desires..."Mac users" only represent a tiny minority of that.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    Quote:

They painted themselves into a corner by selling the shows from the store,

No. Not really. They didn't.

Quote:

THey should have thought about our best options from the beginning, but now they are painted into a corner, and we unfortunately are stuck with them.

Well...they are thinking about what they can make the most $ doing. DVRs are probably not it. Secondly..."we" aren't stuck with anything. I have TiVO, Netflix and Cable TV. Unless Apple offers me something compelling, I am keeping those. I'm not stuck or painted into any corner.

Quote:

THey should have done a home Media cube with *iTunes, and AirTunes capabilities (*If you have an internet connection) from the get go,

Sounds a lot like the new Mac mini to me.

Quote:

but they rushed down the wrong path thinking to get something to market before thinking about what would suit us best.

Let me repeat...they are thinking about what they can make the most $ doing.

Quote:

Now we are stuck with it.

They need get us out of it. They shouldn't have limited us to this store option for what are essentially free TV shows.

We aren't "stuck" with anything. Quit being daft.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

As long as Apple sells video content for $1.99 on the ITMS there will not be a Mac with DVR that can record that same content for free.

Apple (Steve) worked hard to get the network partners that they have on board.. They are still working with others trying to woo them over..

What I'm saying is, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot and pissing off their network partners.. In a big way..

Macs with DVR = NO.

Macs with the ability to BUY content = YES

The problem with this is....

DVRs are popular with Cable service and that ain't free.

Second problem is people already paying for cable service. Does Apple actually expect or hope these people pony up money as well?

as for pissing off network partners...using that logic shouldn't the networks be mad about the common VCR? DVRs are just VCR with a few timeshifting features added. I don't see where a DVR is much more dangerous than a VCR.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

As long as Apple sells video content for $1.99 on the ITMS there will not be a Mac with DVR that can record that same content for free.

Apple (Steve) worked hard to get the network partners that they have on board.. They are still working with others trying to woo them over..

What I'm saying is, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot and pissing off their network partners.. In a big way..

Macs with DVR = NO.

Macs with the ability to BUY content = YES

Your thinking is false. One, in order to get some content you need to have cable which some people don't have. Two, there is always the issue of bandwith and download time. Three, you would have to select before the show airs to record it, and many people don't do this and would still like to buy it later. Four, DVRed content would still have comercials in them.
  • Reply 30 of 99
    We should not forget Steves hate for TV (I feel the same way myself). TV is in my humble opinion the biggest problem on the planet right now. People brainwashed with lies in the news, content dumming them down, reality shows designed to provoke the participants to stab eachothers in the back and form alliances to send a signal to the millions of viewers: see how low the civil human character is? Next they show us cop shows that display all cops as heroes with HIGH character and a patriotic sense of duty, uncoruptable etc. (we don't see reality shows with CEO's or authorities, Congressmen or policemen etc do we?)

And we don't even see these things, cause we are so used to it by now we have become blind. I think Steve knows this. He would not hate TV for no reason.

This is not the overall reason for anything, but you can bet it plays into what Steve envisions for the future.... does he want to take the planet off the TV by offering them to create their own content with iLife and show it on your TV (frontrow) ?

Further more, he is in reality attacking the information gatekeepers for the first time in history, yet few realize this. Who is becomming the rulers of the "airwaves" ? the people are! With iPods and Podcasts anyone can create their own radio show and broadcast. No more do you have to go through the gatekeepers. (noticed the soundbit Steve played when he introduced the Podcast feature in iTunes... with LIGHTNING shoothing out he's eyes? it went something like "....no more gatekeepers" or "attacking the gatekeepers" Can't remember the wording, but I remember noticing the look in Steves eyes as he looked at the audience and thinking that somehow I was not realizing what Steve was realizing. Only much later did I put the pieces together.

The same thing with music and record deals. I'm very soon putting a new CD on iTMS directly through Apple. Why would I want a record deal? So the label can take 90 of my revenues? Ok so they could promote my CD with marketing money, but would they? and would the outcome be worth it for me?

Steve is brilliant. He announced the iTMS WITH the majors in the music industry and then quietly through the backdoor the indie record companies came aboard -- hush hush -- no big hoopla.

Then Podcasts came and now we the people can bypass the information gatekeepers and reach the whole world with our need and longing for peace and love on our fear striken planet.

Now....very soon, movies will come along WITH the majors and they will dwell in their profits but through the backdoors come the indies and the independant companies, and the documentaries that reveal what the news has kept from the people for years and years.

Remember the slogan: information wants to be free? well it's comming into reality from the man very few thought it would be, Steve Jobs. And we're watching this fold out right in front of our eyes, perhaps even without realizing it...

Steve is a rebel with a disgust for authorities. No accident he walks onstage in jeans and a turtleneck (it's also to mimic Einsteins philosophy to have 7 sets of totally alike suits in his closet so he didn't have to use any brainpower to think about what to wear). Apple used to hold press conferences with Apple employies walking in the room and sitting on the tables right in front of the journalists in stead of behind the tables like company authorities.

Steve goes against the grain, and is not affraid to leave the world behind, and deep down inside of our selves I think it's why we admire him.

Sincerely

Zab the Fab

Sorry if some of it was a bit of topic, but I do feel there are very big ethical motivations and philosophies behind what Steve is doing, but you may disagree entirely, just my two cents.
  • Reply 31 of 99
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Tell me. How much money was in the MP3 player market before Apple entered it? It was dying. Apple made the market. Don't throw TIVO, and Microsoft Media Centers at me when you know that is totally irrelevant when it comes to Mac users, and Apple.

Apple just painted us in with them on this, and it was a fu¢k up on their part. I doubt they planned it, but they did it.

When you use your iPod are you predominately sitting down, at home, vegging out or are you on the go? This portability with the UI that any idiot can navigate makes it so successful.

Of all my friends I still only have one who uses a TiVO. It's not as pervasive yet as it could be, but then again the TiVO does what it does well, like an iPod, but it isn't nearly as large as the iPod. The reasons should be obvious.

I'm really not interested in people driving and watching their iPods but there will be idiots who want to do both.
  • Reply 32 of 99
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    iTunes is a success why?

Because quite honestly it is the best combination of Store and integrated Music Managment application out there. Plust it's power is bolstered by the best player.

Extrapolate.

Will those same benefits carry over to Vide? Doubtful.

Video is generally longer play media and doesn't lend itself to playlists. You always have to be staring at the screen so it's attention consuming. Thus there likely is no way for Apple to differentiate itself from other video players.

Content will be SD quality and offer little benefit over any other format primarily WMV and DIVX

I guess my point really is Apple is not likely to enjoy the same advantage in video that they have with audio. Tivo right now is the defacto standard.

Comcast will be offering their UI as an option soon and with CableCard and Gen3 hardware I think Tivo has a little life in them. Apple's weathered a few storms themselves but a fanatical fanbase can keep you alive when other companies would have died.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    mistake
  • Reply 34 of 99
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Thank god Apple just came out and said that so maybe people will stop assuming all these phantom products are coming to market. It's been very clear all along that Apple is more about viewing computer content than integration with a cable service. Plus, it would absolutely kill iTunes tv sales if they did a DVR "right", which they probably would.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zab The Fab

We should not forget Steves hate for TV

Steve doesn't "hate" TV (or least hasn't said as much). That is a myth. And even if he did...he wouldn't let it get in the way of making money.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

It seems like people don't fully understand why Tivo is struggling.

TiVO is struggling because they don't own anything of real value. Hardware is commodity. Schedule data is owned by someone else (Tribune Media Services). Software is (relatively) easily replicated. The UI could actually be improved in a number of ways.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    You guys have covered this pretty well!

I won't even comment.
  • Reply 38 of 99
    Quote:

Next they show us cop shows... (we don't see reality shows with ... policemen etc do we?)

Sorry, I found that amusing
  • Reply 39 of 99
    os x guyos x guy Posts: 68member
    Just a side question - in less than 3 years HDTV will be the norm and there will no longer be any analog programs being broadcast (http://gear.ign.com/articles/685/685360p1.html)... So, with out a DVR or perhaps Blu-Ray/HD-DVD what will we use to record true HD programs on for future use... VHS or DVD? I think not... So the possibilty of an Apple branded DVR is not a stupid issue and, potentially, could turn out to be like the iPod was for them... I, for one, would buy an Apple DVR as it would, among other things, be innovative...
  • Reply 40 of 99
    Quote:

This is not the overall reason for anything, but you can bet it plays into what Steve envisions for the future.... does he want to take the planet off the TV by offering them to create their own content with iLife and show it on your TV (frontrow) ?

Further more, he is in reality attacking the information gatekeepers for the first time in history, yet few realize this. Who is becomming the rulers of the "airwaves" ? the people are! With iPods and Podcasts anyone can create their own radio show and broadcast. No more do you have to go through the gatekeepers. (noticed the soundbit Steve played when he introduced the Podcast feature in iTunes... with LIGHTNING shoothing out he's eyes? it went something like "....no more gatekeepers" or "attacking the gatekeepers" Can't remember the wording, but I remember noticing the look in Steves eyes as he looked at the audience and thinking that somehow I was not realizing what Steve was realizing. Only much later did I put the pieces together.

Steve is brilliant. He announced the iTMS WITH the majors in the music industry and then quietly through the backdoor the indie record companies came aboard -- hush hush -- no big hoopla.

Then Podcasts came and now we the people can bypass the information gatekeepers and reach the whole world with our need and longing for peace and love on our fear striken planet.

Now....very soon, movies will come along WITH the majors and they will dwell in their profits but through the backdoors come the indies and the independant companies, and the documentaries that reveal what the news has kept from the people for years and years.

Remember the slogan: information wants to be free? well it's comming into reality from the man very few thought it would be, Steve Jobs. And we're watching this fold out right in front of our eyes, perhaps even without realizing it...

Steve is a rebel with a disgust for authorities. No accident he walks onstage in jeans and a turtleneck (it's also to mimic Einsteins philosophy to have 7 sets of totally alike suits in his closet so he didn't have to use any brainpower to think about what to wear). Apple used to hold press conferences with Apple employies walking in the room and sitting on the tables right in front of the journalists in stead of behind the tables like company authorities.

Steve goes against the grain, and is not affraid to leave the world behind, and deep down inside of our selves I think it's why we admire him.

That was...beautiful. *Sniff*