I have RAM advice for iMac G5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have discovered there are two approaches to inserting a RAM module in the the newer iMacs. The 2.1 G5 iMac with iSight to be specific.

Method 1. Push the memory module in "gently" as described in the User's Guide.

Use this method if you want to reinerst the module 5+ times, assume its a bad chip and send it back to Crucial and repeat the whole process.

Method 2. Push like a mother-%&#$ing son-of-a-bitch...push with the destructive, violent rage you felt the first time a girl cheated on you...push with all the desperate passion of humanity trying one last time to find meaning in a pathetic life...push like a ham-fisted retard who has broken every truly quality item he ever owned...push like you're having a baby.

Use this method if you want the memory to work. And to register under the "About this Mac" menu.

Ok, I'm calm now. Sincerely people, you have to push it in harder than you think. I've only installed RAM twice before so I'm no expert but I had to use enough force that I worried I might damage the chip and/or the computer. I hope this helps someone avoid a lot of frustration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reynard

Method 2. Push like a mother-%&#$ing son-of-a-bitch...push with the destructive, violent rage you felt the first time a girl cheated on you...push with all the desperate passion of humanity trying one last time to find meaning in a pathetic life...push like a ham-fisted retard who has broken every truly quality item he ever owned...push like you're having a baby.

funny post.

Whilst you may have over-stated it a bit, I remember my first few times that I installed RAM, and I was surprised by how hard you have to push. I too was concerned that I might break something.

You have to be both careful and forceful at the same time.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    Yeah.. don't push to hard.

I was the first one in my shop to break down a G5 because I snapped the plastic holders for the ram when I didn't put it in with enough care.

That said, I ended up being the one who fixed most of the G5's because it turned out I could break them down pretty quickly.

Cheers,
  • Reply 3 of 3
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    When I posted this topic I was so emotional, a combination of frustration and finally, relief when I just shoved the thing in and knew that I had finally done it. I immediately decided to share the experience to save someone else the frustration part.

Later I found a post in the Apple Support disussions that was eerily similar to my situation. Its about a guy who can't get his in either (RAM, that is) and takes it to an Apple Store genius who says the ram slot is broken. Personally, I have my doubts that it really was broken; just feels that way cause the damn module has to be pushed in so...so FIRMLY.

You are both correct that you shouldn't push too hard, of course. However, the way the slot is made in the iMac iSight, I think it would be pretty hard to do that. The slot is narrow enough that, at least, you don't have to worry about it suddenly torquing to the side and snapping. And maybe mine was just extra tight. Here, I hope, is the link to the Apple Support post:http://discussions.apple.com/thread....0385&tstart=45