Vista Experience: ha ha ha ha ha

Comments

• Reply 41 of 169
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

Windows XP(32bit) still carries some code from the good old 16bit dos days

Well, if you're talking about the console that is provided for compatibility, then yes. Otherwise, no, you are talking rubbish.

XP was based on 2000 which was based on NT. NT was never, ever, ever based on DOS. It runs on the NT kernel.
  • Reply 42 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Well, if you're talking about the console that is provided for compatibility, then yes. Otherwise, no, you are talking rubbish.

XP was based on 2000 which was based on NT. NT was never, ever, ever based on DOS. It runs on the NT kernel.

Ok, the 16 bit code might not be derived from dos, but it's still there, in many plases, most visible in compatibility layer and in support for old netware networks - ipx/spx networks. And yes windows NT codebase doesn't have that much legasy code anymore but Windows Vista could have gone to pure 64bit.
  • Reply 43 of 169
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Ok, the 16 bit code might not be derived from dos, but it's still there, in many plases, most visible in compatibility layer and in support for old netware networks - ipx/spx networks. And yes windows NT codebase doesn't have that much legasy code anymore but Windows Vista could have gone to pure 64bit.

NT based MS System are built based around Posix 1.b standard. The same standard as, pretty much all, flavors of UNIX are built on.

Having 16 bit code, in places where it can be used, is advantages to 32 bit code or 64 bit code since it is more memory efficient.

There is no need to go to 64 bit OS in consumer and prosumer space today. In fact there are very few pros that can use 64 bit addressing. I run quantum mechanical simulations of heavy atoms that can easily use 12 GB of memory space. In these cases 64 bit Opetrons with 16 GB of RAM blow away 32 bit Xeons. But this is a very small market even in professional space.

In principle, NT based systems can use some refreshment since there is a lot of legacy code dating back from NT 3.0.

We will see how Vista goes, although I don't really see what can really be improved that much as far as core operating system goes. All I see so far, are mostly bells and whistles added on.
  • Reply 44 of 169
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    Blah blah apple blah blah apology blah blah... Blam!

That'll be the sound of the thousand bricks that will fall onto our collective heads when Windows Vista is released with the trillion $$$ marketing campaign that's sure to accompany it. It's still time to spot drinking the kool-aid. Stop playing Apple apologists, you're only making Apple complacent. And we all know what happened the last time around... Windows 95 anybody? Far from perfect, but good enough to obliterate the Mac's market share from 10+% down to a puny 2%.
  • Reply 45 of 169
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

I think that's about right. Vista is just new features thrown onto a horrible mess of a system. Like icing on a cow pie. It may look nicer, but it's still... a cow pie.

I had heard that Vista could be a simple downloadable upgrade for XP.

Microsoft is unwilling to do a jump like OS9 to OSX, even though that is exactly what they need to do, because they would lose too many customers. They'll stick with the same buggy software until their doom.

Although I definately won't switch back for it, there is way more to vista than a facelift and eye-candy type stuff. Apparently the entire underpinnings basic were revised and/or rewritten :

extremetech review: "why Windows Vista Won't Suck".

It remains to be seen if this well lead to any real-world improvements to security and system stability though.

Edit: got this from OS News by the way, great site for all news about OS's (duh.)
  • Reply 46 of 169
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

This has got to be The Official Fanboy Thread, no question about it.

Hold the phone!! What about fangirls? I know I'm the minority here, but I'm as avid as you chums are.

Oh, and the advertising campaign? I could give a rat's patoot. Windows users are drones..they refuse to change because they're creatures of habit. It's sad really; I know a Windows user who talks of the recent attempt by some to get Mac OS X on their PC's. Apparently, some of them want OS X, but they're too cheap to just get a Mac. It's like, "Uh, guys, the OS works better when it's on it's native hardware.." Honestly, I'll side with smclintock on this.
  • Reply 47 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_Doll

Honestly, I'll side with smclintock on this.

Why thank you

One of my fellow computing friends recently put OS X onto their PC through a simulation program and loved it, but they refuse to convert to Mac OS X by buying Apple hardware because they think they won't be able to get their favourite software or PC Games to run on it, thats quite annoying because they don't even get their facts right before judging / slagging the operating system.

I think a lot of PC users are like that, they dont release they can work in a Windows friendly environment without any problems or incompatibilites.

I'm actually suprised myself how easy it is to do all my uni work on my mac, save it to my USB stick and open it up again on the Windows computers at my university.

If Apple are looking to up their market share and switch more PC users to OS X, they should start an advertising campaign showing just this, Windows & the Mac working together, showing the different scenarios that they can be used in (business, design etc etc). PC users should be aware that there is an alternative and that it's easily available to them
  • Reply 48 of 169
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Hold the phone!! What about fangirls? I know I'm the minority here, but I'm as avid as you chums are.

Oh, and the advertising campaign? I could give a rat's patoot. Windows users are drones..they refuse to change because they're creatures of habit. It's sad really; I know a Windows user who talks of the recent attempt by some to get Mac OS X on their PC's. Apparently, some of them want OS X, but they're too cheap to just get a Mac. It's like, "Uh, guys, the OS works better when it's on it's native hardware.." Honestly, I'll side with smclintock on this.

I happen to know a few "Windows drones", and they're all great people who can't be correlated to their operating system whatsoever. Face it- Mac hardware is expensive, Windows is definitely usable, and I'm getting tired of people bash Windows simply because they] are drones.
  • Reply 49 of 169
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Yeah, there's the new metadata filesystem, there's hard drive encryption...

Vista contains hard drive encryption? That should be fun.

Apple hasn't even convinced me it's safe to run FileVault yet.

Can you imagine what MS'support lines are going to be like when millions of Windows users looking for "more security" enable Redmond's new encryption scheme?

• Reply 50 of 169
    I currently use FileVault and have had no issues...

Placebo darling, is that empathy I hear? Look, I'm not demonizing or trashing Windows users, I used to be one, sweetie. And in order to label a group drones, they'd have to be a much more vast amount of people. PC users possess a bigger population, hence my statement. And by the way, for future reference, it's in a Mac user's nature to act and speak in such a tone...we're the minority. I'm not mad at the users, I'm mad at the corporation that subjects the users to such technological plagiarism. Also, what I've also found that the reason Macs have a bigger price tag is because: 1. They're built to last a long time, and 2. Often, many of the things you'd have to buy separately with a PC is already included or built in to a Mac.

Oh yeah, if you're going to pose a counterargument, please do so in a more composed, grammatically correct manner.
  • Reply 51 of 169
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

I thought I remembered hearing something about there needing to be some kind of relatively lightweight emulation to run XP programs, could be wrong.

WinFS is also new. If that indeed is being shipped with Vista.

No. AFAIK (pretty sure) Vista uses Win32 APIs natively (and presumably Win64).
  • Reply 52 of 169
    Quote:

IWinFS is also new. If that indeed is being shipped with Vista.

It's not.http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041211-4454.html
  • Reply 53 of 169
    Quote:

Yes, he is correctly implying that Windows is based on dos, Windows XP(32bit) still carries some code from the good old 16bit dos days, so it really was time to do some rewriting, Windows XP 64 on the other hand is based mostly on new code, but the gui is still from 32 bit windows with some enhancements. Now hopefully they have rewritten that gui part in Vista, so they actually can say that they did a major rewrite. And not a day too late.

Windows XP carries code from DOS days? Ha Ha Ha Ha. Not that I know of.
  • Reply 54 of 169
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

I currently use FileVault and have had no issues...

Placebo darling, is that empathy I hear? Look, I'm not demonizing or trashing Windows users, I used to be one, sweetie. And in order to label a group drones, they'd have to be a much more vast amount of people. PC users possess a bigger population, hence my statement. And by the way, for future reference, it's in a Mac user's nature to act and speak in such a tone...we're the minority. I'm not mad at the users, I'm mad at the corporation that subjects the users to such technological plagiarism. Also, what I've also found that the reason Macs have a bigger price tag is because: 1. They're built to last a long time, and 2. Often, many of the things you'd have to buy separately with a PC is already included or built in to a Mac.

Oh yeah, if you're going to pose a counterargument, please do so in a more composed, grammatically correct manner.

eh, don't mind placebo. he's having some issues right now, having decided to switch to windows, and is desperately trying to rationalize the decision, and gets defensive whenever anyone brings up the point that it may have been, in fact, a bad decision. he'll be on dr. phil inside the month.
  • Reply 55 of 169
    Does anyone know what is NOT going to be included in Vista that MS said was originally supposed to ship with Longhorn? I know WinFS isn't, but what about Indigo?
  • Reply 56 of 169
    Thanks, rok. I was wondering what the moodiness in his voice was all about. \
  • Reply 57 of 169
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    dutch pear:

Thanks for that article on Vista. It answered a ton of questions I had.

There's really a lot to look forward to as a Windows user.
  • Reply 58 of 169
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

There's really a lot to look forward to as a Windows user.

...like a new Mac.
  • Reply 59 of 169
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Here is a link to a story about vista by Jason Cross of Extreme Tech published on Foxnews. "blah blah blah Just like apple"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,186454,00.html
  • Reply 60 of 169
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

eh, don't mind placebo. he's having some issues right now, having decided to switch to windows, and is desperately trying to rationalize the decision, and gets defensive whenever anyone brings up the point that it may have been, in fact, a bad decision. he'll be on dr. phil inside the month.