Apple VP: No current plans for TiVo-like Mac mini

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OS X Guy

Just a side question - in less than 3 years HDTV will be the norm and there will no longer be any analog programs being broadcast (http://gear.ign.com/articles/685/685360p1.html)... So, with out a DVR or perhaps Blu-Ray/HD-DVD what will we use to record true HD programs on for future use... VHS or DVD? I think not... So the possibilty of an Apple branded DVR is not a stupid issue and, potentially, could turn out to be like the iPod was for them... I, for one, would buy an Apple DVR as it would, among other things, be innovative...

3 years in the computer industry is an eternity.
  • Reply 42 of 99
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    cool. looks like a dvr mac mini is on the way then.

Apple squash rumors and say something isnt coming

Apple then say the current ______ are not done very well

Apple then create their own.

i.e. Video iPod
  • Reply 43 of 99
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

No. Not really. They didn't.

Well...they are thinking about what they can make the most $ doing. DVRs are probably not it. Secondly..."we" aren't stuck with anything. I have TiVO, Netflix and Cable TV. Unless Apple offers me something compelling, I am keeping those. I'm not stuck or painted into any corner.

Sounds a lot like the new Mac mini to me.

Let me repeat...they are thinking about what they can make the most $ doing.

We aren't "stuck" with anything. Quit being daft.

Your entitled to your opinion, but I stand behind what I said. It does not matter if the rest of the market is all hyped about a PVR or not. If Apple made one like I previously described it would sell weather you believe it or not.

And calling people names is not going to make people believe what you say because you make an attempt to put someone else down: It just reflects poorly on you.
  • Reply 44 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Sorry, I found that amusing

I see your point. What I meant was, when we see reality cop shows they are the uncurroptable heroes, and we never see a bunch of cops in a Big Brother house that's designed to bring the worst out in people, form alliances, back stab eachother, vote eachoter home etc. so we would start thinking maaaaan, and I'm supposed to call these guys if there's someone in my house at night.

Sincerely

Zab the Fab
  • Reply 45 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Steve doesn't "hate" TV (or least hasn't said as much). That is a myth. And even if he did...he wouldn't let it get in the way of making money.

Well you could easily be right about him not letting it get in the way of what was best for Apple (making money) but you should google steve and tv. You'll find him saying stuff like "when your young you think there's a conspiracy within the networks to dumb people down, to provide bad content, but as you grow older you realize they are commited to giving what peole want, and that's the sad thing, people want to watch this stuff".

Sincerely

Zab the Fab
  • Reply 46 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

That was...beautiful. *Sniff*

well......I WAS a bit moved my self if I may say so Glad you liked it.

Sincerely

Zab the Fab
  • Reply 47 of 99
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zab The Fab

well......I WAS a bit moved my self if I may say so Glad you liked it.

Sincerely

Zab the Fab

Well, great scene anyway. This does reveal the true

Apple lover with all that propitious soul.

(Sweeping away the last drop)
  • Reply 48 of 99
  • Reply 49 of 99
    (sorry for the above reply. hitting the carriage return posted the stupid thing before it could be edited)

NO APPLE TV?!!

RATS!

If this is true, Apple has given up the living roon to other companies, and there will not be one media company who can integrate it all into one world-class, killer product.

Without a TIVO-like capability, few people are going to want to incorporate the Mac mini into their livingrooms just to be able to surf the web and use computer media. I am sitting here in my den with cable and TIVO, with the ability to see what is on, on every channel, in just a few seconds, and being able to rewind anything i miss. I have my iBook on my lap and with it, access to everything Apple. I already have the best of both worlds here. So I won't get the new mini until it can take the place of my TIVO too.

But this news bit by that Apple exec sucked. It was his attitude about it.

HEY, APPLE EXEC! Of course it is hard (complicated). You don't do things because they are easy. You do them because they are hard to do, and thus, worthwhile. (Where did this guy come from? Microsoft?)

Sheesh!
  • Reply 50 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by rogerborn

(sorry for the above reply. hitting the carriage return posted the stupid thing before it could be edited)

NO APPLE TV?!!

RATS!

If this is true, Apple has given up the living roon to other companies, and there will not be one media company who can integrate it all into one world-class, killer product.

In my opinion, Apple isn't mucking around with TV tuners, and DVR, because Apple thinks that the future of television is in Video-on-demand, not free-to-air. Personally, I think they are right. I don't even own a TV anymore, but I love watching Commander-In-Chief, downloaded legally through iTMS. Choose an episode whaen I get home, have it ready to watch 5mins later, rather than having to wait for the program to start. And, no ads, and you can re-watch it as many times as you like. Great! The user experience is way in front of traditional television.

Broadband will be ubiquitous in another 5 years, at which point Apple may well already have developed the dominant poition in TV viewing.

Actually, to change topic a bit, does anyone know if the new MacMini can find video media stored in a Windows-based iTunes repository on the network? PC for the office, MacMini for the loungeroom?
  • Reply 51 of 99
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by demallien

Actually, to change topic a bit, does anyone know if the new MacMini can find video media stored in a Windows-based iTunes repository on the network? PC for the office, MacMini for the loungeroom?

As far as share your music and/or seek for shared music

is checked within iTunes prefs than it should be no problem.

It used to work here in my neighborhood pretty flawless

- with Music. I believe the same goes with Video.
  • Reply 52 of 99
    jocknerdjocknerd Posts: 28member
    The reason Apple has no interest in doing a DVR is this:

Network television is DYING. In five years, you will be watching shows off the internet or downloading content from stores like iTunes. The concept of channels is over folks. Future widescreen displays will have operating systems built-in and will be internet accessible. Its already happening. HD over the Internet. Of course, it will be slow to happen in the good ol' USA because our internet connectivity sucks. But elsewhere in the world, the fortunate ones who have high speed internet, not the crummy high-speed access promoted by our cable companies, but real high speed access in the range of 100Mb/s will allow HD content over the internet.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Well you could easily be right about him not letting it get in the way of what was best for Apple (making money) but you should google steve and tv. You'll find him saying stuff like "when your young you think there's a conspiracy within the networks to dumb people down, to provide bad content, but as you grow older you realize they are commited to giving what peole want, and that's the sad thing, people want to watch this stuff".

You've made the leap about an observation of TV and a feeling for it.
  • Reply 54 of 99
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Your entitled to your opinion, but I stand behind what I said.

Good for you.

Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

And calling people names is not going to make people believe what you say because you make an attempt to put someone else down: It just reflects poorly on you.

I didn't call you a name. Relax. I simply said that you were being irrational for believing that Apple has "painted you (or anyone else) into a corner".
  • Reply 55 of 99
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

We should not forget Steves hate for TV (I feel the same way myself). TV is in my humble opinion the biggest problem on the planet right now.

I generally watch about 1-2 hours of television a night on weekdays. It's a nice way to unwind after 8 hours of work. I sit down, watch a little SportsCenter (or PTI if I get home early enough), maybe catch Jeopardy, and, if there's something good on during primetime I'll watch that too. The biggest problem on the planet? You have a knack for hyperbole. Things I would rank higher on the list of "biggest problem on the planet":
    • Poverty

• War

• Disease

• Global warming

• Hangnails

• Television

Quote:

The same thing with music and record deals. I'm very soon putting a new CD on iTMS directly through Apple. Why would I want a record deal? So the label can take 90 of my revenues? Ok so they could promote my CD with marketing money, but would they? and would the outcome be worth it for me?

I'm totally with you on this one. I wish more artists would give the RIAA (and the labels associated with them) the finger and release their music online. I'd be willing to pay $1 a track for a high-quality, DRM-free digital track, knowing that a large percentage of that is going to the artist rather than some faceless corporation. Unfortunately, iTMS doesn't quite fit the bill, but it's an understandable choice because of its popularity.

Just out of curiosity, if you independently release an album on iTMS, how much money do you see per track? I've read that it's a paltry sum if you release through a major label, but I don't know how much of that is taken by Apple for operating expenses.

Quote:

Then Podcasts came and now we the people can bypass the information gatekeepers and reach the whole world with our need and longing for peace and love on our fear striken planet.

I can't say I share your love or optimism for Podcasts. I certainly don't think "we the people" are better served by them simply because some of them aren't put out by traditional media companies. In fact, I think allowing anyone with a microphone and some free time to report the news opens the door to more disinformation and makes it harder to differentiate between legitimate news reporters and bottom-feeding opportunists. Not that I think podcasts should be illegal or anything like that. I just think they share the same flaws as television and the radio.
  • Reply 56 of 99
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    To make the whole thing simple: Add DVR and I would have purchase a Mini for my TV. Otherwise, no deal. That goes for a lot of people. If they want to sell computers for the living room, DVR capabilities will help. If it's just about displaying computer content on the TV, then Airport AV is what is needed.
  • Reply 57 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by elron

Things I would rank higher on the list of "biggest problem on the planet":

Poverty
    War
    Disease
    Global warming
    Hangnails
    Television

You are forgetting the main force that helps perpetuate the first four....
    • Fox News

• Reply 58 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by elron

I generally watch about 1-2 hours of television a night on weekdays. It's a nice way to unwind after 8 hours of work. I sit down, watch a little SportsCenter (or PTI if I get home early enough), maybe catch Jeopardy, and, if there's something good on during primetime I'll watch that too. The biggest problem on the planet? You have a knack for hyperbole. Things I would rank higher on the list of "biggest problem on the planet":

Poverty
    War
    Disease
    Global warming
    Hangnails
    Television

well don't worry, I agree with you. The case I'm making is really how TV is connected to the things on your list, well except perhaps for "Hangnails"

I'm sure this subject would belong in another thread in another forum, and nobody has to agree with my opinion, but that's what it is, my opinion.

If you should wish to investigate the matter one place is to start with the "Outfoxed" documentary. Not saying is the whole truth or nothing but the truth, but like a courtroom, you have to hear both sides of a case, and Outfoxed presents the side of the case no media has presented. That's why it is important to watch for anyone who wants to be fair and balanced.

But I will only suggest that people do their own research into this.

Quote:

I'm totally with you on this one. I wish more artists would give the RIAA (and the labels associated with them) the finger and release their music online. I'd be willing to pay $1 a track for a high-quality, DRM-free digital track, knowing that a large percentage of that is going to the artist rather than some faceless corporation. Unfortunately, iTMS doesn't quite fit the bill, but it's an understandable choice because of its popularity.

Well my point was not DRM-free tracks, I have no problem with that and iTMS fits the bill perfectly in my book. I get published in 21 countries, I'm not restrained by any contract, I still own my own mastertapes, Apple takes about 15% of the revenue which I'll GLADLY pay (Madonna don't get contracts like this) to be able to publish my music all over the world !!! iTMS is perfect looking through this musicians eyes. But that's just my opinion.

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, if you independently release an album on iTMS, how much money do you see per track? I've read that it's a paltry sum if you release through a major label, but I don't know how much of that is taken by Apple for operating expenses.

well I believe it's about 15% only. Nickles really.

Quote:

I can't say I share your love or optimism for Podcasts. I certainly don't think "we the people" are better served by them simply because some of them aren't put out by traditional media companies.

Well you kinda reversed my argument a bit. It was the other way around you see. It's not that a podcasts suddenly get's better now that the big evil media coporations arn't publishing them. It's that SINCE the big evil media corporations cannot censure you, we the people once again have a free media on your hands.

Through podcasts we can inform eachother person to person, and bypass the media's version of the truth, bypass the medias version of reality, powerfull stuff when you start to realize what quantum physics is telling us about mass consiousness (Documentary: What the bleep do we know).

Quote:

In fact, I think allowing anyone with a microphone and some free time to report the news opens the door to more disinformation and makes it harder to differentiate

Which means a growing skeptisism, in contrast to the Media religion we have now. Everyone says they don't belive everything that's on the news, but they always believe that if something had any importance it would surely GET ON the news. They protray the image of not being naive "I don't belive everything I see on the news" but are really die hard belivers "then why hasn't it been on the news if that was true".

Quote:

between legitimate news reporters and bottom-feeding opportunists.

Well I agree with you somewhat. The is no question that a podcast could be made from all sorts of agendas, but see how you are already comparing the podcasts to "legitimate news" ? If only we had the same concern when it comes to your mainstream media. The media we won't admit has our unsuspecting loyalty. Well Steve IS changing all that, if we see it or not, if we like it or not. It's changing. In my eyes it's a good thing because we will get more opposing news reports which in turn will force people to investigate more and not always believe the medias version.

My God, when you start to investigate the lies told by big media...

And people think that's an outlandish claim... because they have this faith in the media, which they won't admit they do.

Quote:

Not that I think podcasts should be illegal or anything like that. I just think they share the same flaws as television and the radio.

Oh, but if you do realize our telivisions and radio broadcasts "flaws" won't it be good to have a more "broad" broadcasting ?

Anyway... you may disagree with me.

Sincerely

Zab the Fab
  • Reply 59 of 99
    jocknerdjocknerd Posts: 28member
    Hey Elron,

You do know that you can't put your music on iTunes without the DRM? Well, actually the music on iTunes doesn't have the DRM, but Apple won't make the iTunes client download the music without adding the DRM to it. If I'm a new band looking to get my music out there, I don't want DRM. And because of that, Apple's store is a bit of a turn off. I wonder if Apple makes bands sign a exclusivity contract? Because it would be nice for the band to offer their music on their own site without DRM as well as make it available on iTunes for the publicity.

If Apple really wasn't a proponent of DRM, like many Apple fans believe, why isn't there an ability to flag music from iTMS to not include DRM when you download it?

And I have received this information from several sources who have tried to put their music on iTMS and wanted DRM-free music.
  • Reply 60 of 99
    bigmigbigmig Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I would be surprised if Apple decided not to persue a DVR simply because it's one of those technologie that you simply cannot live without.

You know what's another technology you can't live without?

Safari -> Edit -> Spelling -> Check Spelling As You Type.