Apple and NBC Universal close to iTunes UK deal

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
NBC Universal is close to signing a deal to sell TV shows through iTunes in the UK, C21 magazine is reporting.

The move would mark the debut of TV video downloads through Apple's iTunes Music Store overseas. iTunes customers in the United States have been offered this option since last October and have download around 12 million episodes to date.

According to the report, NBC is planning to test the waters with a select number of sci-fi series -- one of the most popular genres with US iTunes customers. Candidates are reported to include Battlestar Galactica, Surface and Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

A spokesman for Apple said the company had "no new news" to report on its iTunes download service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    About time...............we are always last.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
  • Reply 2 of 24
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Only fair... several of the stars of Galactica are from the UK
  • Reply 3 of 24
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Good news. This should keep the pressure on CBS, Sony, etc., to join the pack.

Reading the story on Think Secret yesterday about the iTunes film rights negotiations, I'm a little confused about who controls the iTunes distribution rights to film and TV content. Considering the content we've seen from Disney/ABC and Universal/NBC so far, I assumed the big seven studios controlled almost all of the film and TV content that they produced.

The Think Secret article indicated that Starz and HBO owned the digital distribution rights to most films. I'm not sure if that's accurate. I assume that when Starz, HBO, TCM, Showtime, etc., have rights to a film, the rights are for a certain period of time and are exclusive of other networks.

Are the pay cable deals so favorable to the cable networks that the cable networks effectively have veto on other digital distribution? That just sounds fuzzy to me.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Myself I would perfer 3 options for movie downloads.

1. rent for two nights ?1.99

2. buy to keep with rights to burn for home use, ?9.99 for new release.

3. for the sake of pleasing the few, less than 10% that demand subscription!

?9.99 per month, no burning, minimum 6 months contract.

That might seem like a tall order, but if Apple and more importantly movie studios are smart, and choose this setup, then over 90% of the of iTunes users would use it including me.

Conclusion.....................Money and a lot of it for the for the very hard to please "studios", and apple!

AND happy customers too!8)
  • Reply 5 of 24
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Myself I would perfer 3 options for movie downloads.

1. rent for two nights ?1.99

2. buy to keep with rights to burn for home use, ?9.99 for new release.

3. for the sake of pleasing the few, less than 10% that demand subscription!

?9.99 per month, no burning, minimum 6 months contract.

I think a combo rental service (whether it be subscription or per movie) plus the option to buy would be best.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Why go across the pond when Canadians are yet to be served?

Given NAFTA, isn't it well past time that North America is licensed as a bloc?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Why SciFi..? That's sure to get them in... NOT!
  • Reply 8 of 24
    furious_furious_ Posts: 88member
    what about use down here in Aus.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Why go across the pond when Canadians are yet to be served?

Given NAFTA, isn't it well past time that North America is licensed as a bloc?

NAFTA, good one!

If I were Canadian I'd get a US addressed credit card to save a ton off all my stuff, access iTunes movies and basically save enough cash to relocate entirely!

Only kidding. Canada may be a bit of a rip off in some ways, but just like Britain it has free healthcare (exceptions apply) and basically a different "social contract" between the people and the government.

Reversing out of politics for s moment, I'd propose that Britain being catered before Canada for a change comes down to the fact there's more of us and videos sell like crazy here on every format.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    I can't wait. I had to forgo the free Galactica video download because it was US only. When can we expect the Ireland store to be up??
  • Reply 11 of 24
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grabberslasher

I can't wait. I had to forgo the free Galactica video download because it was US only. When can we expect the Ireland store to be up??

That free video got me hooked! I now have purchased the mini-series, season 1 and 2. That show freekn' rocks.

Btw to our friends across the pond. What is Canadia? J/K you northern red leaf hillbilly's!
  • Reply 12 of 24
    johnhoodjohnhood Posts: 24member
    This would be very sweet.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    imhoimho Posts: 30member
    Apple's Feb 23rd press release for the 1,000,000,000th song contest says 15 million videos downloaded since October.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    fooeyfooey Posts: 52member
    Quote:

hah we dont even have a music store in New Zealand
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Australia have only just got the ITMS, i wonder how long it will take them to get the TV show downloads.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Japan has no TV downloads except for the great Pixar shorts.

Movie or Tv downloads here would fly off the virtual shelves!
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fotek2001

Why SciFi..? That's sure to get them in... NOT!

Sci-Fi is the best genre.

The hottest hows (SG1 and Battlestar Galactica) are Sci-Fi shows.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    SF gets my vote as well.

Star Trek - original series - I want all 73-plus/minus episodes.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    I really thought that Apple would have realised that the launch of AppleTV would need them to provide the counties that its launched in with TV content for the iTunes store, otherwise, what's the point in buying it?

I love everything mac, but sometimes wonder about their K-razy policies regarding world domination of quicktime and iTunes - i.e. not letting it play wmv files etc, because if it is made more open, then it is more usable, espescially in the education environment, where everything is PC based in the majority of UK schools...

Make the mac the platform of the professional and iTunes the and AppleTV the platform of the way we watch and buy multi-media content in the future... Bring it on UK stylee
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdine View Post

I really thought that Apple would have realised that the launch of AppleTV would need them to provide the counties that its launched in with TV content for the iTunes store, otherwise, what's the point in buying it?

I love everything mac, but sometimes wonder about their K-razy policies regarding world domination of quicktime and iTunes - i.e. not letting it play wmv files etc, because if it is made more open, then it is more usable, espescially in the education environment, where everything is PC based in the majority of UK schools...

Make the mac the platform of the professional and iTunes the and AppleTV the platform of the way we watch and buy multi-media content in the future... Bring it on UK stylee

What's really funny is the date this article was conceived; Friday, March 3, 2006. Yet still no movement with TV shows in Europe, or movies. Don't get me started on their store situation.