New Intel desktops?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone have a guess on when the new Intel based desktops will come since everything else is being updated?? I predict within a year?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    My guess is the end of this year.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Q4

Hopefully they'll be the first computers to run Leopard.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Q4

Hopefully they'll be the first computers to run Leopard.

Just so everyone understands, this Q4 is the end of August.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Just so everyone understands, this Q4 is the end of August.

I'm pretty sure he's talking calendar year.

Didn't Jobs originally say it would be the middle (end?) of 2007 that they would complete the transition, but now they're saying the end of 2006?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'm saying Q4 because of rumors of Merom being slightly delayed.

I'm thinking about mid Sept if we're narrowing down things.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Given many of the 3rd party 'pro' apps not going UB for 'some time in the future' I'd also say end of 2006 or maybe even early 2007 (MWSF anyone?). It doesn't pay for Apple to rush the pro desktops out any sooner since benchmarking with non-UB pro apps will put them in a less than stellar light.

Just my .02 cents

..edit..

It could go something like this...

Jan 06 - iMac and '15" Mac Book Pro'

Feb 06 - Mac mini

We still have what?

Summer 2006 - Mac Book 12"

Summer 2006 - Mac Book 14"

Fall 2006 - Mac Book Pro 15" (bumped speed?)

Fall 2006 - Mac Book Pro 17"

Jan 2007 - Pro Desktops

Jan? Feb? Mar? 2007 - Xserve

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 12
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Expect everything to be Intel by the end of the year. I'd say you'll see new Powermacs in Q3, although probably in the latter part of it. Don't be surprised if they do as they did for the OS X transition though and keep selling some PPC boxes for their large clients that still need it until everything is ported or running.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Given many of the 3rd party 'pro' apps not going UB for 'some time in the future' I'd also say end of 2006 or maybe even early 2007 (MWSF anyone?). It doesn't pay for Apple to rush the pro desktops out any sooner since benchmarking with non-UB pro apps will put them in a less than stellar light.

Just my .02 cents

..edit..

It could go something like this...

Jan 06 - iMac and '15" Mac Book Pro'

Feb 06 - Mac mini

We still have what?

Jan 2007 - Pro Desktops

Jan? Feb? Mar? 2007 - Xserve

Dave

I agree... It would be something like that.. specially when they have those "quad monsters" on the powermac line up.. I have no idea what chips should be the intel replacements, but if apple keeps the same pace it has taken with the previous line ups I gues they should give us @ least 3 to 4 times more speed than their powerpc counterparts and also take in consideration that by that time almost all pro-apps should be ported (adobe not included).. It also makes sense that those new "intel powermacs" (i wonder how will they call them?) come out with leopard as it would give apple a nice publicity...

but who am i to know this things..?

better go to be now..!

good night..

• Reply 9 of 12
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Dave

ahh! i more thing: you mean there will not be a 12" macbook pro?

what about the 13.3" ? pro or not?

???????????

• Reply 10 of 12
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Its not just native Pro apps we're waiting on, but the new Intel-based Mac Pro systems would need to be faster than the existing Quad G5s or why the hell would you want one?

The low-end dual processor systems could be replaced more easily, but the quad truly is a beast. Apple could go all quad to help keep the G5 PowerMacs alive while we wait for speedier intel chips, but I doubt that's the message they want to send.

I guess the new towers and ibook replacements will be the only intel macs with new cases.

The next big question is, when will the screens get updated?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Apple could go all quad to help keep the G5 PowerMacs alive while we wait for speedier intel chips, but I doubt that's the message they want to send.

Well I may be dead wrong here but I HIGHLY DOUBT Apple will release a PPC based 'whatever' from this point forward. Laptop, Desktop, Palmtop, Tablet, PVR or whatever else you could dream up, any device having a PPC inside just isn't gonna happen (IMnsHO of course).

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 12
    At the same time, I don't think they will wait until MWSF 2007 to release the PowerMacs.

I haven't seen anything that suggests Woodcrest is delayed; it's still on for Q3/June. It'd be something like: 2x2.5/2x2.7/4x3.