Development of Mac OS X 10.4.6 progresses

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Mac OS X developers who are members of Apple's Developer Connection received a new set of Mac OS X 10.4.6 pre-release builds earlier this week.

According to various reports, Apple seeded both Mac OS X 10.4.6 build 8I113 (PowerPC) and Mac OS X 10.4.6 built 8I1106 (Intel). The builds are reported to weigh in at approximately 58MB and 149MB, respectively -- representing some of the heftiest updates to the company's Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" operating system since its inception last April.

The maintenance and stability update now appears to focus on a broad range of system components and technologies that include AppleScript, Bluetooth, Calculator, Core Graphics, Disc Recording, Disk Management, the Finder, Help Viewer, iDisk usage, iSync, PPP and racoon Networking, Printing, Safari, and Voice over.

Developers were also asked to focus their testing efforts on additional system technologies such as Mac Synching, AFP, Automator, Carbon apps, Cocoa apps, Directory Services, Foundation, Graphics Drivers, Kerberos, Login Window, OpenGL, QuickDraw, SMB and WebDav.

As expected, the Intel build also places an incredible emphasis on the continued development and refinement of Apple's Rosetta emulation environment, which allows most PowerPC-based Mac OS applications to run seamlessly on the company's new Intel-based systems.

Mac OS X 10.4.6 appears to be scheduled for a release sometime within the next six weeks. Currently, documentation accompanying the latest builds lists only a handful of known issues with the software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I love apple!
  • Reply 2 of 45
    freakytfreakyt Posts: 11member
    I hope they fix that Bluetooth PDA Sync bug!

I haven't been able to sync wirelessly since 10.4.3...
  • Reply 3 of 45
    The only thing I regularly have problems with is iChat and that's not on the list

--> Stephen
  • Reply 4 of 45
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    What's raccoon networking, precioussss, what's raccoon networking?
  • Reply 5 of 45
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Dare I say it!!

Are they going to Fix the Finder?

• Reply 6 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Mail and Safari are my concerns.

I know safari is listed there, but I don't see that lazy Mail!

Mail needs a kick up the arse!
  • Reply 7 of 45
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Presumably 10.4.6 will be released before or in sync with the Pro Apps universal binary release, which is scheduled for March. That would mean fixes needed to get the UB versions of Final Cut suite and Aperture out the door before the end of the month.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    I just hope they fix the issues with quicktime crashing on some unreadable avi-files (most work just fine with divx installed) and taking frontrow with it. That sucks!

Edit: these files play just fine in VLC btw.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Mail and Safari are my concerns.

I know safari is listed there, but I don't see that lazy Mail!

Mail needs a kick up the arse!

If your concerns about Mail have to do with the security flaw, just download the latest security update. It fixes Mail and Safari.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    What about Quartz 2D Extreme ?
  • Reply 11 of 45
    catman4d2catman4d2 Posts: 174member
    PANTHER STILL OWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 45
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

PANTHER STILL OWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROCK ON! My comedore 64 is l33t too!
  • Reply 13 of 45
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Good question!
  • Reply 14 of 45
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Good question!

2 raccoons in the park getting some work done!

...or not.

edit- can't seem to find anything useful on google or wikipedia.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Dare I say it!!

Are they going to Fix the Finder?

Ahhhh ... that was funny!
  • Reply 16 of 45
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/ipsec/

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/ipsec.html

Man Page:

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi...NetBSD-current
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Ya finder stability is the bitch. SMB networking and AFP have never worked quite right in Mac OS X because it takes Apple so long to integrate newer versions of Samba which is needed in order to stay on top of the changes Microsoft makes.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It would be nice to fix OS 9 support. I haven't been able to even start up OS 9 to run some of my older software in many months. I even tried re-installing the OS 9 system from the OSX disc... Didn't work.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

It would be nice to fix OS 9 support. I haven't been able to even start up OS 9 to run some of my older software in many months. I even tried re-installing the OS 9 system from the OSX disc... Didn't work.

I'd expect OS 9 to be removed from 10.5. If you want OS 9 support your best bet would be Panther or even 10.2.8 which is the oldest development sdk still offered.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I just hope they fix the issues with quicktime crashing on some unreadable avi-files (most work just fine with divx installed)

Quicktime isn't the best for AVI playback. Plug ins such as Divx help.

Part of the problem is people using esoteric AVI codecs. If everyone stuck to more standard and widely used codecs this would not be such a problem.

I doubt Apple is going to spend much time or resources on keeping up with every type of AVI codec out in the wild. As AVI is a Microsoft codec and isn't really a strongly supported Apple codec.