No Excuses

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    Hi-Def video likes lots of bandwidth. Gigabit can cover the overhead of latency and play hi-def better. Plus, it's like 3 bucks more per RJ45 jack, so there's not much of a reason to stay at 100Mbit.
  • Reply 82 of 99
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

Humm...

I rather pay $2000 for an Apple laptop than a weak and bug PC laptop.

That's fine, and should be respected, but do realize that there are "PC" (they're all PC btw) laptops that are on par with, or better than Apple laptops around the same price (some lower, some higher).
  • Reply 83 of 99
    peepeeseepeepeesee Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

is that a rhetorical question? in case it is not, well, connect to bluetooth devices, use the extra usb ports and not purchase external, ugly usb hubs, things like that. why is it so hard to understand? small is beautiful.

i guess you can't please everybody. next.

Do you know what two usb ports cost? Well with Apples margins yeah it's around 100 dollars but typically it's a little less. Yeah bluetooth is cool but why are they adding all this kind of stuff into a machine that's supposed to be cheap? I mean it doesn't even come with a mouse or a keyboard - which you need to even use the computer but it comes with bluetooth which is something I doubt many people even really use that often and certainly not that many mini users, but who knows I didn't take a poll.

Why make it more expensive? Make it cheaper or the same price and and more stuff as prices lower on components.
  • Reply 84 of 99
    heinzelheinzel Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by antartican

... Anyways, show me a system like the mini. Of course there is no tissue box looking pc on the market. Why would anyone buy an overpriced tiny box with a laptop hd and a laptop procesor when its life is destined to be in a house.

You want a system like the mini running Windows? How about this one?

However, note the price tag.

On a different note, I think it's great you are evolving your opinions by reiterating all the statements that have been made on behalf of Apple's product philosophy during the last 25 years - but maybe you could do so without involving the nice people in this forum in your personal growth process? You know, people around here have probably discussed these a lot already, long before you came along. If you really want to have good, highly engaging and neverendingly boring discussions on topics such as MacOS X vs. Windows or some of the other incoherent remarks you posted above, you might enjoy posting at Ars Technica's Battlefront.
  • Reply 85 of 99
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

That's fine, and should be respected, but do realize that there are "PC" (they're all PC btw) laptops that are on par with, or better than Apple laptops around the same price (some lower, some higher).

No reasonable person would argue that. However when you decide to use a mac, the decision is never made just on the basis of hardware.
  • Reply 86 of 99
    Well im taking all of you people's coments seriously in an educated decision making process. I guess I understand why apple charges more. But should you really have to pay extra for something to work?
  • Reply 87 of 99
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Well im taking all of you people's coments seriously in an educated decision making process. I guess I understand why apple charges more. But should you really have to pay extra for something to work?

Not in an ideal world. If you can get windows to work for you, and keep it working, don't use a mac.

The other day my parents came over and we took some pictures with their new digital camera. I loaded the pics on my wife's pc, HP with 2 gh athlon cpu. My parents have a pc and i wanted to show them how to load pics from the camara on to the pc and then burn pics to a cd. Just some basic shit. No rocket science. It took me 30 f**kin minutes to make this happen. The first two times it wouldn't write to the cd for some crazy reason. I tried new blank discs, everything. Finally it writes but because of all the crap I had to go through to make it happen I doubt my parents will be able to do it.

Bottom line, use what works for you. Some people use multiple platforms, probably the best approach if you can figure them all out. I've been back and forth, as the user name says I'm now back to the mac.
  • Reply 88 of 99
    stwstw Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

This seems very plausible and is in all probability the correct reason. But, if Apple did in fact bump up to gigabit ethernet speeds for some other reasons, what would they be? I'm asking because I really haven't a clue. (Techno ignorant I am)

What possible gizmo could Apple be thinking of that would require gigabit ethernet speeds - anything?

None.

GigE is part of the intel chipset. It costs Apple (close to) nothing. But it helps in marketing.
  • Reply 89 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by stw

None.

GigE is part of the intel chipset. It costs Apple (close to) nothing. But it helps in marketing.

Yeah, but Gigabit isn't limited to the Intel chipset. They've been moving their machines to standard gigabit (starting with the PowerMac) for some time now. The last revision of the iMac G5 had gigabit.

Also gigabit is pretty useless unless you're on a gigabit network. My campus network peaks at 1 Mb, even though I have gigabit, and when moving files on the campus network, I'm lucky if I get more than 500 kb.

So if there is a video download service in the future, it will probably be set up to let people on gigabit networks take advantage.

On the other hand, it's a classic "Apple" thing to do. When Apple cut floppy drives during the early iMac days, people thought it was crazy. Some of them predicted it would bury Apple. Look what happened though ... there has been a steady move away from floppy disks as a way to transfer files. Flash memory and burnable disks are the way to go. Flash memory is simply more convenient than a floppy. With Apple supplying gigabit on the computers now a lot of people are questioning why it is necessary. While you may not need it *now*, you might need it sometime in the life of your Mac, and APple would rather supply you with it now, than listen to you bitch 3 years later about how your computer doesn't have gigabit and it was tragic for Apple to not have included it when there is service X, Y or Z that is optimized on a gigabit network.
  • Reply 90 of 99
    Quote:

I don't know if you must pay extra for something to work, but if you end up "paying less" (and even that is up for debate as it's been argued to death over and over on these boards that an Apple's TCO is lower than a Windows box) you get a flawed Windows XP box. It's just not up to par with a Mac system where everything just works.

I guess what I am trying to tell you is that a Macintosh computer is more than the sum of its parts. It's not a motherboard with bluetooth cards and fancy shit. It's a different computing experience that cannot be measured accurately using nickels and dimes.

I don't know if you're a Macintosh owner, but do you know why most Apple fans are so loyal? It's not because we're ignorant pricks who like to overpay for things. It is because Macs make computing fun, easy and practical. And at the end of the day, that's what a lot of people in these boards want. If you don't, or if you think my arguments are worthless or completely flawed, then maybe it is time to realize that a Mac may not be for you.

And that's completely fine. You can get a Dell. In my house my brother and I use macs and my mom, dad and my other brother use Dells. They're just tools, but pick the one you require for your computing and digital lifestyle needs.
  • Reply 91 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

Do you know what two usb ports cost? Well with Apples margins yeah it's around 100 dollars but typically it's a little less. Yeah bluetooth is cool but why are they adding all this kind of stuff into a machine that's supposed to be cheap? I mean it doesn't even come with a mouse or a keyboard - which you need to even use the computer but it comes with bluetooth which is something I doubt many people even really use that often and certainly not that many mini users, but who knows I didn't take a poll.

Why make it more expensive? Make it cheaper or the same price and and more stuff as prices lower on components.

i dont care what two usb ports cost! the issue here is i dont want ugly usb hubs all over my desk! please read carefully before answering.

the mini is a machine built for people who are SWITCHING from pc to mac. people who already have monitors, keyboards and mice. and instead of asking them to purchase an imac, they can invest smaller amounts of money if they are willing to make some compromises, like recycling their input and output devices.

if companies don't include bluetooth in machines the price will never come down, somebody already said that. seems like you people just reply without reading stuff. god jesus.
  • Reply 92 of 99
    imac davidimac david Posts: 286member
    Antartican,

the basic problem you have when it comes to Macs is that 'you don't get it'.

I use an iMac at home, but a Dell laptop for work. Last week I was in a hotel room in the Middle East and want to connect to the internet. I plug in to the wall, click on 'automatically detect settings' in IE, and nothing happens. I have to call the hotel's computer expert to come to my room to play around with the internet settings and a few minutes later I connect.

My point? I am not in the slightest bit interested in knowing about ports, connection settings, proxy servers etc. XP forces me to learn about this crap.

Anyway, the guy fixes it and I'm now up and running, fire up Skype, call home, and am having a nice chat with my family. All of a sudden I get a XP message saying that it had performed an update and was now going to re-boot the laptop. Before I can do anything the laptop turns itself off! WTF is that all about? I'm using the machine, and yet XP in its infinite wisdom decides to reboot. 5 minutes later I get Skype running again and can talk to a relieved family once more.

My point? An OS should not get in the way of the user, it should help. If the machine required re-booting, why didn't I get asked, instead of it just going ahead anyway?

So yes, Macs are *slightly* more expensive than the average PC (no idea where you are getting 30 - 40% more), and for that we get a significantly better computing experience. If YOU don't want to pay the premium, don't. If you don't mind the hassle that comes with XP, fine.

The rest of us are happy to pay the premium knowing that one of the major benefits will be lower blood pressure.

David
  • Reply 93 of 99
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMac David

The rest of us are happy to pay the premium knowing that one of the major benefits will be lower blood pressure.

David

Amen to that
  • Reply 94 of 99
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMac David

...and the warm fuzzy feeling that it is a Mac and we are different.

There is a related discussion going on here on AI.
  • Reply 95 of 99
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Finally apple has come out of the famous powerpc speed chip myth. How is apple even going to begin to justify the price on their machines. So much hype and nothing special. A $600 beginer computer. I believe you can get a good machine for 400 bucks from a number of companies that have even more power that this cube. I really wanted them to inovate ala(iPod). And be the first company to push a bad ass home entertainment system out the door. But no. No graphics card, crapy laptop hd. No mindblowing apple dvr applications to really turn it into your digital lifestyle hub. I was really expecting them to at least put a sexy ipod stand on top. Why o why is it at such a big price. A 100 dollar leather case. A 350 dollar boom box. I don't know but apple thinks that people will just blindly throw money at it. A sexy machine is not worth hundreds of dollars more. Once vista comes out apple will get a run for its money for its operating system. What then? I hope the new evolution of the power pc is atleast less than 1000 dollars and close to the rest of the pentium computers. Its time that apple plays with the big boys. How about reasonable prices. In the end plastic costs just the same to cast if its ugly or not.

As I see it this ranting has nothing to do with future hardware. This thread needs to be moved to General Discussion. Please try, and keep your threads in the correct forums. It makes the whole site easier to navigate. Thank you.
  • Reply 96 of 99
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Model for model, they havent made the mini more expensive, they have just dropped the base model that didn't have the wireless cards as standard. This way they can say it has wireless as standard. There are 2 intel models, and they are the equivalent of the top 2 G4 models. Bluetooth and Wifi is becoming more common now with mobile phones and broadband internet connections.

And I don't think there is a big conspiracy going on in moving to gigabit ethernet, its just a case of standardising parts and specs across the macs, and being able to say it has gigabit ethernet speed, and not the 'old, slow' 10/100 speed.

Would people be happier with the mini if you had basic networking, and no wireless capability at all? What Apple are doing with the mini is progress, if they weren't advancing their computers then we all may as well keep using Quadras and Performas!
  • Reply 97 of 99
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

OK

I understand there are PCs out there that might be a par with the Macs.

But like some guy said just before me. When you buy a Mac you are not only buying the Hardware, but the software as well.

The big selling point for me is not the hardware, but the whole "experience" of owing a Mac. That keeps me blood pressure down!

Sorry PCs, I could not careless for you.
  • Reply 98 of 99
    Okay I get it now. Makes sense. Thanks David.
  • Reply 99 of 99
    imac davidimac david Posts: 286member
    Glad to have been a help.

Cheers,

David

PS the more I think about the windows update that happened, the more I'm puzzled. Did the laptop get an update from MS when I connected to the internet, and downloaded it automatically without me knowing? Or was it some update internal to the laptop which it hadn't done? Anyway, all very odd.