These guys always make me bust a gut.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

These guys always make me bust a gut.

amazing, penny-arcade's conversion to the mac side (that's what today's comic was about) has effectively done to THEMSELVES what they invariably do to any website THEY ever link to themselves (i.e. bring it crashing down in flames due to traffic overload).

but i'm glad to hear two fairly smart guys actually see the light, so to speak, and then use their forum to speak about it. i said it once, i'll say it again: their acceptance of macs will be a watershed event where the mac brand will be put under the noses of many, MANY gamers for the first time as a viable product. that, my friends, is HUGE.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    hmmm....

I admit I'm not knowledgeable about "Penny-Arcade" but the linked comic appears to be suggesting that Macintosh use is gay, or possibly a homosexual act in its own right.

Is that an endorsement?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    From their home page: "There has always been something illicit about playing for the other team.

Gabriel's MacBook doesn't arrive until... they start arriving, later this month, but save for platform-dependent gaming I've used my own Mac for every computing task this week. What I have ascertained is not that PCs as we know them lack good design, but that PCs as we know them have hardly any design to speak of. I'm not trying to be insulting. Use a Mac for a week, and we'll talk again.

I have edited autoexec.bat files in order to optimize the amount of available conventional memory, and I liked doing it, liked being the sort of person who could. As a PC user, enduring the grotesqueries of that experience is something that we are actually proud of. It's come a long way since then, jokes about "blue screens" and what not ring like tired vaudeville acts. But those struggles were certainly real, the battle wounds considerable, and now the skin has grown over it and to a certain extent we think this is just how it is.

I didn't even understand that's what was going on until I started to write this. Like men who love the wilderness for its savage and untamed qualities, I believe many of us are drawn to this stark brutality. That frontier living, the self reliance, the adversity. The Mac, like The Alliance in World of Warcraft, was easy mode.

I don't think that the Macintosh was inspired by ancient holy scrolls, found in a sea cave and excised from the original bible by a convocation of priests and wise men. But I do like it very much. It is extremely good at what it does, which is to say, exposing functionality.

It's a big topic. I'll go into it on Monday."

That sounds like an endorsement. All they have to do now is make their comic funny.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

That sounds like an endorsement. All they have to do now is make their comic funny.

OMG. Either you're thinking too much into the comic, or not enough. Or maybe you're just not familiar with PA, or your sense of humor isn't as crude, absurd and nuanced as most everyone else I know.

My suggestion, start at the beginning of their archive of comics and move your way to the present, take a a whole weekend or two for this, there is an assload of material. When you've done this and you still tell me they're not funny then I'll take you seriously about it.

Yes, I'll admit sometimes they miss. Sometimes you have to read the attached article for the comic to make sense.

However, I found the switch/homo-erotic double-entendre to be funny and relevant.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So, if you'll forgive me for not wading through the archive right at the moment, the homo-erotic thing is a kind of working out of the artist's own ambivalent feelings that drifting mac-ward is to lose some essential machismo, and yet (secret horror) so very compelling?

I guess that's sort of funny, if you share in any way the notion that PC use represents a kind of toughening, character building ordeal while the Mac experience is a scented, candle filled room; however, I've always found that notion to be kind of dumb, so, you know, whatever.....
  • Reply 6 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    As an avid Penny-Arcade reader, I can confirm that the comic in contention makes little to no sense and is not funny.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    I think you guys are missing the nuance of this particular strip. Taking parts of it or the article too seriously.

But explaining it doesn't make it funny to someone else. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

As an avid Penny-Arcade reader, I can confirm that the comic in contention makes little to no sense and is not funny.

well, that just clears everything up. i'll hearby revoke my laugh when i first saw it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

well, that just clears everything up. i'll hearby revoke my laugh when i first saw it.

Actually, I'll revoke my dissent. I just read the preferences part and couldn't stop laughing.