Where does iCal hide its ics's?

rokrok
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
a few years ago, i published a public calendar for my schedule, and i cannot for the life of me remember where it went, what the file name was called, etc. it doesn't appear to be in a standard .mac directory, but maybe i a missing it?

does anyone know how to find out what calendars you have published in the past? obviously, i have since wiped my drive locally, so i don't have the local backup. but i figure it's gotta be somewhere logical out there in cyberland, right (like an ical.mac.com subdomain, or maybe www.mac.com/calendars or something)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Published iCal calendars are stored on your iDisk (unless you specifically stored it on your own custom WebDAV server).

If you still have the dot-Mac account, that is where it is.

You can subscribe to it at

webcal://ical.mac.com/yourDotMacAccountName/CalendarName.ics

or view it in a web browser at

http://ical.mac.com/yourDotMacAccountName/CalendarName
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Published iCal calendars are stored on your iDisk (unless you specifically stored it on your own custom WebDAV server).

If you still have the dot-Mac account, that is where it is.

You can subscribe to it at

webcal://ical.mac.com/yourDotMacAccountName/CalendarName.ics

or view it in a web browser at

http://ical.mac.com/yourDotMacAccountName/CalendarName

thanks for the help! that almost gets me there. problem is, i can't figure out which directory ical.mac.com points to when it serves up the calendars. would it be in the public or sites directory? i was expecting something more obvious like a "calendars" directory.

by the way, i have to say i am using panic's transmit to get my files (i finally paid them the registration fee after years of just using their time-limited demos), and it SCREAMS with iDisk. what the holy hell is wrong with Mac OS X that i can't get these speeds from the Finder? i mean, i'm looking at 100k download speed AVERAGE from my iDisk. at this rate, i'll be able to get all my files here on my local computer, and then do a search for .ics files.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I could not find my calendar files on my iDisk, even though they are viewable through iCal.

I drew the conclusion that they are stored separately on dot-mac, perhaps to avoid permissions issues with the dot-mac folders.

If you have a current dot-mac account, you can get royal tech support by using the special email message box on the dot-mac support site. Paid customers get rapid and complete assistance. http://www.apple.com/support/dotmac/ical/ , scroll down to the bottom and fill out the form.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

I could not find my calendar files on my iDisk, even though they are viewable through iCal.

I drew the conclusion that they are stored separately on dot-mac, perhaps to avoid permissions issues with the dot-mac folders.

If you have a current dot-mac account, you can get royal tech support by using the special email message box on the dot-mac support site. Paid customers get rapid and complete assistance. http://www.apple.com/support/dotmac/ical/ , scroll down to the bottom and fill out the form.

well, believe it or not, i'm glad to know i'm not crazy when i can't find them if you can't find them either.

thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    just a brief follow-up, .mac's support team got back to me, and wow! they were thorough with the advice. they told me two different ways to accomplish what i wanted, and even reviewed my account to tell me what the calendars were.

thanks lundy! i'll try not to abuse this newfound power.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dot-mac support is top notch.

It's a way to avoid the $39.95 support call charge if your problem can in any way be related to the iDisk.

You'll probably get a survey to fill out in a few days asking you to rate the service.