Faithful Win user seriously looking to switch..need advice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I haven't been a truly faithful win fanboy. I bought a powerbook and kept it about three weeks before selling it to a friend. To be honest I just didn't need a laptop. I am not gone enough to justify having a laptop. I am a student and I talked myself into needing a laptop for school. I have since purchased a Sony Vaio notebook that I have let me mom have. It took me two times to realize that I don't need anything besides a pc.

I built my computer almost four years ago, and it still runs good to be four years old. I can tell that the time to upgrade is very close. I don't play pc games at all anymore. I doubt I will ever play pc games again. So, I am not looking for a graphics powerhouse, that was all I cared about four years ago.

I have been looking at the imac. I think that it has everything I need. I would upgrade to 1 gig ram and maybe upgrade to the 256 graphics card. I think that machine would take care of all my needs. All I really do is surf the net and buy/download music, make cds and do some work for school. I am also tired of all the space this current machine takes up. I want more desk space to do homework on.

I don't know really what I am looking for. Words of encouragement maybe, helping me decide between g5 and intel, general help with macs. I am scared about learning a new OS. When I had my powerbook I did love the machine. It looked great and performed ok. Wasn't that great at playing games.

Would a Intel Imac last me four years?

Everyone I know that is interested in computers is a windows fanboy. I mentioned that I am looking at a mac and all I get is "why" followed by a very weird and confused look on their face.

Please help a mac newb.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Depends, did you upgrade your original PC build during these four years? You're well aware of the limited upgrade possibilites of the iMac? You're pretty much gonna be stuck with the same graphics card and processor during this time. I'm sure it's pretty messy and expensive to upgrade those parts. RAM, sure, Hard drive, sure, but that's pretty much it.

Now, if you're looking for a Mac that holds in the "long run", you should definetily go Intel. PowerPC apps will probably be next to extinct in four years.

I think buying a intel duo core iMac at this time is definetily a computer that will hold for several years. It all depends on your needs. Playing the latest and greatest games in four years? Forgeddaboutit! Using photoshop/office/mail/web? Definetily!
  • Reply 2 of 42
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I love my iMac; I would certainly recommend it.

RAM is good. Especially if you're going to use a program like garageband. Going from 512 to 1.5 gigs made a huge difference for me in that program.

If you're a student (high school or college?), I'd say tough it out through the rest of this school year, and get yourself an iMac when it's upgraded in the summer and have yourself something spiffy for the new school year.

But if you don't want to wait, by all means, buy now

The only reason I suggest waiting is that it doesn't sound like getting a new machine is critical yet, and well, waiting a little longer always gets you something nicer! It's that fine line between waiting for the right time, and never buying because you're always waiting for the next upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    In my honest opinion, you don't need an iMac.

For you I'd recommend the Mac mini Core Duo. (I wouldn't ever get the $599 model... yuck). That's a nice machine, and it works since you need more deskspace. Just get a cheap LCD monitor and you're fine.

With the money you saved, you can get an office suite (it looks like Office:mac is going to have a Universal patch, so you might as well get it now). Also, you can get a printer if you need one and other accessories.

The Mac mini is perfect for you.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    What's your budget? Do you want desktop or laptop? Do you have an existing high quality display? Are you serious about NEVER playing games again? What do you personally mean by "graphics powerhouse"? Will you do video editing? DVD Authoring? Traditionl page layout? What is your software budget? Why do you have a predetermined four year lifespan?

We need a lot more info from you to give an informed recommendation.

In the meantime, you'll love OS X and iLife 06. Don't worry about making the switch.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    The very thing i honestly don't get along regarding

this story is why for christ's sake did you even buy

this wonderful Powerbook just to sell it 3 weeks

later. Okay you reconsidered yourself as a typ who

has no need for a laptop. Granted things and such can happen.

And than the sony story...

Do you agree that this is far away of an average behaviour?

I don't know anybody else, who strolls into a Computer store,

lays aprox. $1.800 onto the table and 3 weeks

later... well, amazing, isn't it?

My advice, think twice

Btw, the lowest iBook will probably suit your needs.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    You won't be disappointed. The iMac dual-core is a really nice machine, and has the built-in iSight -- its powerful enough to host a multi-party video conference. Sweet!

I've got both a Powermac G4 desktop and the first generation titanium Powerbook G4-400. The Powermac I upgraded from 400 MHz to 800MHz and has plenty of speed for all the apps that I use, including Virtual PC. The TiBook is 5 years old and is only 400 MHz. It's running the most current copy of OSX and is still kicking. I'm looking at moving up to the new Macbook Pro's though...I'm getting into a position where I need to be more mobile and this 400 MHz machine is really a bit slow for daily use.

The point is, that you will certainly get a good 4 years use out of your purchase, and you won't be fighting with trying to keep the machine operational with virus's and spyware. I was a LONG time Windows guy (remember Windows 2.1? I do...). Anyways, I got so tired of working to keep the machines operational, that 5 years ago (just when OS X was going beta) I switched and have never looked back. I've even gotten to the point that i won't help any friends with Windows problems anymore...I just don't have the time to waste spending a day trying to get a Windows machine back up, depending on what's wrong with it and how many reboots you need to do. So now, I just polietly say that I don't remember enough to help them, but if they are ready to shop for a computer that won't give them the hassels, I'd be glad to take a ride to the Apple store with them. :-)

Good luck! and welcome back!
  • Reply 7 of 42
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pubguy

You won't be disappointed. The iMac dual-core is a really nice machine, and has the built-in iSight -- its powerful enough to host a multi-party video conference. Sweet!

I've got both a Powermac G4 desktop and the first generation titanium Powerbook G4-400. The Powermac I upgraded from 400 MHz to 800MHz and has plenty of speed for all the apps that I use, including Virtual PC. The TiBook is 5 years old and is only 400 MHz. It's running the most current copy of OSX and is still kicking. I'm looking at moving up to the new Macbook Pro's though...I'm getting into a position where I need to be more mobile and this 400 MHz machine is really a bit slow for daily use.

The point is, that you will certainly get a good 4 years use out of your purchase, and you won't be fighting with trying to keep the machine operational with virus's and spyware. I was a LONG time Windows guy (remember Windows 2.1? I do...). Anyways, I got so tired of working to keep the machines operational, that 5 years ago (just when OS X was going beta) I switched and have never looked back. I've even gotten to the point that i won't help any friends with Windows problems anymore...I just don't have the time to waste spending a day trying to get a Windows machine back up, depending on what's wrong with it and how many reboots you need to do. So now, I just polietly say that I don't remember enough to help them, but if they are ready to shop for a computer that won't give them the hassels, I'd be glad to take a ride to the Apple store with them. :-)

Good luck! and welcome back!

I love this story, did you submit it to Apple.com?
  • Reply 8 of 42
    turboturbo Posts: 31member
    Just to comment on my first pb purchase. I didn't lose any money, my friend is an avid mac fan. He had a dated ibook and needed an upgrade. My sony was basically a gift, but it now serves as a great computer for my parents. I want a pc, I like having a full keyboard and mouse. I am not wanting to spend over 1650.00. I can get an education discount at applestore.com. I think I can sell the one I have now for around 400. My moniter is huge. It is a CRT flat screen, it takes up so much space on my desk. I have to set my keyboard on the floor (wireless) to make room to do homework. One think about Apple that bothers me, I will buy an Imac and then three weeks later, some better newer faster Imac will come onto the market. Happened to me with the ipod.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegreatluke

In my honest opinion, you don't need an iMac.

For you I'd recommend the Mac mini Core Duo. (I wouldn't ever get the $599 model... yuck). That's a nice machine, and it works since you need more deskspace. Just get a cheap LCD monitor and you're fine.

With the money you saved, you can get an office suite (it looks like Office:mac is going to have a Universal patch, so you might as well get it now). Also, you can get a printer if you need one and other accessories.

The Mac mini is perfect for you.

What's wrong with the iMac?

I thought he said he wants to up his GPU not get rid of it.

He also wanted it to last for 4 years.

And i geuss the Mac experience had to be good, because of the windows fanboys around him.

So, the Mac mini is not perfect.

It isn't designed to be perfect.

It just had to be good enough...

For now.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    I am not considering the mac mini at all. As of right now the imac is all I have my eye on. I am thinking about waiting until mid-summer. I am hoping a wireless mighty mouse comes out by then.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by turbo

Just to comment on my first pb purchase. I didn't lose any money, my friend is an avid mac fan. He had a dated ibook and needed an upgrade. My sony was basically a gift, but it now serves as a great computer for my parents. I want a pc, I like having a full keyboard and mouse. I am not wanting to spend over 1650.00. I can get an education discount at applestore.com. I think I can sell the one I have now for around 400. My moniter is huge. It is a CRT flat screen, it takes up so much space on my desk. I have to set my keyboard on the floor (wireless) to make room to do homework. One think about Apple that bothers me, I will buy an Imac and then three weeks later, some better newer faster Imac will come onto the market. Happened to me with the ipod.

ok! turbo. here it comes: first of all welcome to the mac experience (after you buy & use your first mac) you'll feel a bit guilty for selling your powerbook & not getting an imac right away.. just kidding! NOT REALLY! it happened to me before but for other reasons.. anyway.. the iMac is perfect for you, but it's up to you which one you want, in terms of money or simply need.. for what you said i think that you should get the 20" core duo, apple's latest & greatest, you can do everything you want with it (including gaming) no problem there.. but of course there is that universal thing that you'll have to wait before all apps are written for both powerpc & intel (check apple.com for more info) if you're on a tight budget go for the 17" G5 absolutely perfect, make sure you have @ least 1Gb of ram and plenty of cds/dvds because that machine can burn anything you throw @ it..

so, G5 cheaper all software vs Intel "faster" not all software (yet!) check the facts yourself & good luck.

p.s. there is a rumor of a 23" iMac.. it seems that is not a rumor but more like a natural upgrade or whatever, but we have no idea when it will come out..

p.s2. which brings me to this last suggestion: buy exactly what you need, becuase it's very likely that apple will come out with something better the minute you turn it on...

lol

..but i'm not kidding you this time!

MAC RULES!!!
  • Reply 12 of 42
    finchnafinchna Posts: 17member
    From what you say about what you do with the machine, the mac mini core duo would be fine (especially if you have a decent screen from your last machine). If you have a 21" CRT that takes up 1/2 your desk then an iMac might be a better bet. Either one will do what you describe with no problems. The native apps you'll want to use with an intelmac will be along soon if they're not already.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by finchna

From what you say about what you do with the machine, the mac mini core duo would be fine (especially if you have a decent screen from your last machine). If you have a 21" CRT that takes up 1/2 your desk then an iMac might be a better bet. Either one will do what you describe with no problems. The native apps you'll want to use with an intelmac will be along soon if they're not already.

but.. will it still be fast enough after 4 years?

• Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

I haven't been a truly faithful win fanboy. I bought a powerbook and kept it about three weeks before selling it to a friend. To be honest I just didn't need a laptop. I am not gone enough to justify having a laptop. I am a student and I talked myself into needing a laptop for school. I have since purchased a Sony Vaio notebook that I have let me mom have. It took me two times to realize that I don't need anything besides a pc.

I built my computer almost four years ago, and it still runs good to be four years old. I can tell that the time to upgrade is very close. I don't play pc games at all anymore. I doubt I will ever play pc games again. So, I am not looking for a graphics powerhouse, that was all I cared about four years ago.

I have been looking at the imac. I think that it has everything I need. I would upgrade to 1 gig ram and maybe upgrade to the 256 graphics card. I think that machine would take care of all my needs. All I really do is surf the net and buy/download music, make cds and do some work for school. I am also tired of all the space this current machine takes up. I want more desk space to do homework on.

I don't know really what I am looking for. Words of encouragement maybe, helping me decide between g5 and intel, general help with macs. I am scared about learning a new OS. When I had my powerbook I did love the machine. It looked great and performed ok. Wasn't that great at playing games.

Would a Intel Imac last me four years?

Everyone I know that is interested in computers is a windows fanboy. I mentioned that I am looking at a mac and all I get is "why" followed by a very weird and confused look on their face.

Please help a mac newb.

ahh!

one more thing!

let's us know if you did switch & which mac you got..

that would be cool!

mac the knife!

• Reply 15 of 42
    I would be getting the 20". My moniter is a 19" crt, it is hugeeee. There is no way I will use this moniter ever again. I could sell it to a fried for pretty cheap. It is too heavy to ever consider shipping. An LCD is more my style. My four years is just a number. I wanted an alienware four years ago, I decided to save money and build my own with the same specs. This computer has been very good for four years. My gateway barely made it three years. Four years is a good number for me, it comes out to almost $500 a year. It doesn't have to exactly last four years, but I highly doubt my imac would be doing bad in four years.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

I would be getting the 20". My moniter is a 19" crt, it is hugeeee. There is no way I will use this moniter ever again. I could sell it to a fried for pretty cheap. It is too heavy to ever consider shipping. An LCD is more my style. My four years is just a number. I wanted an alienware four years ago, I decided to save money and build my own with the same specs. This computer has been very good for four years. My gateway barely made it three years. Four years is a good number for me, it comes out to almost $500 a year. It doesn't have to exactly last four years, but I highly doubt my imac would be doing bad in four years.

20" G5 or Intel Core Duo?

Good choice anyway!

welcome to macworld!

• Reply 17 of 42
    finchnafinchna Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

but.. will it still be fast enough after 4 years?

If all that's being done with the machine is schoolwork (office), surfing, and playing music, then sure. If he wants to do render and play HD video then that might be another story.

Then again, what computer (with no upgrades) is ever fast enough when it's 4 years old if you've substantially expanded the work that you do with the machine?
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by finchna

If all that's being done with the machine is schoolwork (office), surfing, and playing music, then sure. If he wants to do render and play HD video then that might be another story.

Then again, what computer (with no upgrades) is ever fast enough when it's 4 years old if you've substantially expanded the work that you do with the machine?

• Reply 19 of 42
    I was worried about making "the switch" too, but man oh man, the best switch of my life. I bought a powerbook in November of 05, and I LOVE It. Its perfect, does everything I want it too, and does it better than my windows ever did or ever will. GO FOR IT, you'll love it....
  • Reply 20 of 42
    I personally think the 20" iMac Core Duo is a REALLY compelling machine. I bought one, and I'm SUPER cheap. I've been a life-long (well, since about 5) Apple/Mac user, but this is actually the first Mac I've felt the need to buy. I've always had good second hand macs (I work in IT, and have nice bosses), but I'm still thrilled with the iMac, even after the pangs of shelling out $1699 of my hard earned money. By the way, get it through amazon.com, it ends up cheaper than getting it from Apple's Edu site. In fact, it was cheaper for me to buy from amazon than from Apple's developer site! The only (minor) limitation is that you can't get the 256MB of VRAM. But if you're not thinking about playing games, why would you need it? I have my 20" iMac setup with my Dell 2001FP and it's gorgeous, and running full res with "only" 128MB of VRAM. Also, someone mentioned that you can't upgrade the iMac beyond RAM & HD, but that's not totally true, the CPU is ZIF, and can (in theory) be upgraded to a faster Core Duo down the line. Basically, you're limited to one internal HD (unlimited external via FireWire and USB), one internal slot loading optical, two ram slots, and the x1600 (with however much vram). As a guy with a homebuilt (and significantly overclocked) AMD gaming rig, I know that the most common upgrades are HD, RAM, CPU, all of which you can do with iMac. And those are the ones you're likely to care about, since you've said you're not looking to game.

ok, one more thing, grab a 1GB stick of ram from newegg for about $109, and at some point if you want to go to 2GB, you can always buy another (for less $$ at that point), and sell the 512 to one of the millions of future iMac/MacBook, Mac Mini owners.

hope this is encouragement enough...seriously, I'm about the cheapest scot you'll ever meet, and I practically want to THANK Apple for letting me part with the $1699 (no tax, no shipping, and $150 rebate makes it $1549 bottom line).