Apple "MacBook" filing suggests iBook re-branding

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer last month filed for a trademark on the term "MacBook," which may hint at a re-branding of its iBook consumer notebook product line later this year.

The Feb. 22, 2006 filing, made with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, describes MacBook as "computers, notebook computers, computer hardware, computer software, computer peripherals."

The document carries a priority date of Sept. 28, 2005, implying that Apple first filed for the trademark outside the United States late last year -- about three months before the company officially re-branded its professional PowerBook notebook computers under the "MacBook Pro" moniker.

The filing is just the latest evidence to suggest the company will rename its iBook consumer notebooks "MacBooks" early in the Spring when it rolls out a pair of the "stunning" new portables based around a 13-inch widescreen display and Intel's Core Solo and Core Duo processors.

At the unveiling of Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro professional notebook in January, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs said the decision to ditch the PowerBook name in favor of MacBook Pro was part of an ongoing company effort to better leverage and distinguish the company's "Mac" trademark and brand along with its personal computer offerings.

Also in January, AppleInsider noted the company had filed for a trademark in New Zealand on the term "Mac Pro" -- which may imply that the company also has aspirations of re-branding its professional desktops, currently called Power Macs, later this year.

In this filing, dated November 18, 2005, Apple broadly described "Mac Pro" as "computers; computer hardware; computer software; computer peripherals; notebook computers; laptop computers; tablet computers; computer servers; handheld computer" and so forth.

A MacBook filing almost identical to the one filed in the Unite States, also turned up in New Zealand on Feb. 23, a day after the US filing was made.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    oh, its coming that's for sure...

just take that core solo mac mini, smash it flat and add a screen, integrated graphics and all! Here's to hoping for better than that...
  • Reply 2 of 54
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

just take that core solo mac mini, smash it flat and add a screen, integrated graphics and all! Here's to hoping for better than that...

If they can put a core duo in a mini for $799, they can put a core duo in an iBook for $1299. Intel IG looks baked into the cake though.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

Indeed. Just looking at my iBook right now I can see how simple it will be for Apple to do that.

Here's hoping it has the full range of ports that the Mac Mini has, including optical audio output, and a mini-DVI output instead of mini-VGA. I guess the modem will go, which is a shame as it's useful for faxes (the two times a year I need to send one anyway).
  • Reply 4 of 54
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    add fax ability to .mac and charge more calling it .mac pro with more business functions built around it. Perhaps adding Pro Care as part of the mobile me thingy.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    Why New Zealand?
  • Reply 6 of 54
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    ..and the waiting continues?

• Reply 7 of 54
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hattig

Here's hoping it has the full range of ports that the Mac Mini has, including optical audio output, and a mini-DVI output instead of mini-VGA. I guess the modem will go, which is a shame as it's useful for faxes (the two times a year I need to send one anyway).

Here's hoping Apple will offer an optional graphics card, like the majority of other notebook manufacturers. I think mini-DVI out is a given now that it's standard on the iMac, and I would love to see analog/digital audio in and out. More importantly, extended desktop should be a shoo-in. The time has come for all of these things.

I could give a hoot about the lack of S-Video, modem, or card slot, although an express card slot would definitely make the MacBook package more attractive.

As far as the enclosure is concerned, I think it needs to greatly improve upon the iBook enclosure. The matte white they use on the interior of the iBook is getting old stylistically. If anyone can make white look current it's Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    While I believe that a MacBook will eventually come and replace the iBook, I don't think that this trademark has anything to do with it. Why? Because you can't trademark the word "Pro" - at least not without getting laughed at.

As far as specs for the MacBook go, my predictions are:

same as the Mac mini, with the exception of: two or three USB ports instead of four, and a real graphics card instead of the GMA950 - hopefully, Apple will use the ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 (w/ 64 MB VRam - standard) and disable HyperMemory (the feature that sucks off system memory). Also, the obligatory IR Receiver + Front Row as well as the iSight.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I agree--more MacBooks are a shoe-in, and an iBook-rebranding is pretty certain too, but I don't see this trademark being evidence of any future plan.

From the moment the MacBook Pro appeared, it was a CERTAINTY that "MacBook" would be trademarked. Apple would want to stop anyone else from using the MacBook name in any way.

Whether Apple planned to re-brand iBooks or not, they'd still have filed this trademark.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Dell seems to use integrated graphics, even the older GMA900 chipset and not the GMA950 used in the Mac mini, on laptops up to $1499. Why would Apple use dedicated graphics on a cheap laptop, if Dell and most PC manufacturers don't?
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I could give a hoot about the lack of S-Video, modem, or card slot, although an express card slot would definitely make the MacBook package more attractive.

The graphics card in the MacBook Pro does include full S-Video support, but it does not include the cable required. For that, you have to pay $19.

You do have a point with the modem though. I don't know about the US, but here in Europe, the vast majority of people haven't used a modem in years. If you really need it, it's available to you for $49 (in my opinion, Apple should offer it for $29 to people who really need it).

Actually, the MacBook Pro does include an express card slot (at least, mine does). Maybe you were thinking PC card slot?
  • Reply 12 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Dell seems to use integrated graphics, even the older GMA900 chipset and not the GMA950 used in the Mac mini, on laptops up to $1499. Why would Apple use dedicated graphics on a cheap laptop, if Dell and most PC manufacturers don't?

I look forward to the next flame fest as Mac users who don't understand vent again about the graphics. IG is the standard for PC desktops and laptops now up to a pricepoint. The Macbook will have IG. Apple now is using the same hardware as your basic PC.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I look forward to the next flame fest as Mac users who don't understand vent again about the graphics. IG is the standard for PC desktops and laptops now up to a pricepoint. The Macbook will have IG. Apple now is using the same hardware as your basic PC.

I agree..! The MacBooks (iBooks) will have IG, the pro-version will have graphics cards... I can see integrated 64mb ala mac mini in the macbooks & 128mb (@least as an option) on the 12 or 13 macbooks pro..

• Reply 14 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I thought most of us here expected a name like ShiteNameBook to compliment the product with the ShiteNameBook Pro name.

And I think we should wait to see the benchmarks to see if integrated graphics is still the ball and chain that it used to be. I think it may very well be that the 950 is a lot faster than the previous model's ATI 9200.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    I wonder what the XServe will be called. Mac Server?
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

The graphics card in the MacBook Pro does include full S-Video support, but it does not include the cable required. For that, you have to pay $19.

Does that reduce the number of active displays? Couldn't the old PowerBooks operate two monitors and one TV at the same time?
  • Reply 17 of 54
    If there is to be a "Mac Pro," might there be a plain ole "Mac" too?
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by TheTSart

If there is to be a "Mac Pro," might there be a plain ole "Mac" too?

My guess is that Apple's answer to that question would be that it is the iMac. They don't seem willing to produce a consumer mid-tower type computer.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

My guess is that Apple's answer to that question would be that it is the iMac. They don't seem willing to produce a consumer mid-tower type computer.

This is true... However I think that as Apple turns all Intel & Virtual PC becomes native on macs, things might change apple's aproach towards win users.. it has already begun with the mini, of course is for everyone, but still not flexible in terms of upgrades (those that win users love).

I do see a mid tower in the future, ala apple "of course" in between the mini & power, a headless imac if you may that could be @ $999 (1/2) of a powermac & almost double than the base mini..

same as the mini (bring your own stuff) or power mac just not that expensive... a box with enough power to get to use the pro apps, games, play around with it.. i feel that windows users like this idea and since mac os is not being licensed to other PC makers anytime soon (try never!) why not add this box for those who seek it..

it could even be targeted for work.. i mean there is a lot of people that don't want to spend on a display (iMac) but want a mac more powerfull than a mini but not as expensive as the powermac.

but! in the end:

would it hurt mini sales... my guess is not..

would it hurt imac sales... maybe, maybe not.. it depends!

would it hurt powermac sales... definetly not!!

of course, i could be wrong!

• Reply 20 of 54
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Several things about an iBook replacement, based on past experience with Apple and their limited offerings:[list=1][*]It won't support dual monitors, except with mirroring. You want dual monitors, sorry, you need a "Pro" book.[*]DVI out might be allowed, but its iffy.[*]Sorry, no ExpressCard slot. You want expandability, get the "Pro" book.[*]Integrated graphics, no doubt. You want highe-end graphics card, get a "Pro" book.[*]My guess would be optical audio out capability, but not audio in.[*]No modem. Apple has declared all telephony communications dead.[*]iSight optional (hopefully optional). I have no need for one, but they added it to the iMac, which makes me wonder one way or the other.[*]One Firewire 400 port, if you're lucky (by the way, if you think they'll always support firewire because of all those aging firewire ipods out there, since when has that ever stopped Apple from tossing ports or hardware compatibility before?)[*]Lots of stuff most people will never use, but in there anyway so they can charge a high price, and the mac-heads can say "Yeah, but a comparably specced Dell costs the same!"[*]New lame design (well, since everyone says the current design is getting 'old', then they'll have to change it, but then half of the people will call it lame and blah, because you can't satisfy mac users, no matter how "hard" they try - well, if they tried hard, that is).[/list=1]

Apple will do with these laptops what they've always done. Restrict them down so people who are in the market for a pro book won't be tempted to get an iBook. And they'll make sure the iBook starts in the $1000 range, right in between the mini and the iMac.

Oh, and for that dreamer (yes, you know who you are!) who actually said I do see a mid tower in the future, ala apple "of course" in between the mini & power, a headless imac if you may that could be @ $999 (1/2) of a powermac & almost double than the base mini.., all I've got to say, is, of course, you're dreaming!

Apple doesn't want to make a cheap tower. if they made a cheap tower, those who want that functioanlity could possibly buy it instead of the power line. That's lost sales. Plus, Apple has yet to do it in the last 5 years or so, despite desparate clamoring from mac users who hate holding on to their towers for 5 years waiting to save enough money to buy a new one. Why is switching to intel finally going to get apple to see the light?

They tried a 'cheap' tower, the single 1.8GHz G5 at $1500. A truly lame offering from apple (if you hiked its memory requirement, hard disk, and a couple of other things to the low-end duals, you got close to the same price, with an extra processor). And you can tell they cared alot for that product, as they can't seem to fix the probems people have with it, and they stopped selling it.

Oh, and what exactly could they do with it? They could only put in one extra drive bay (since the current towers have only one extra), a slot or two (but not PCI-Express?), and that's it. Anything else, and they'd already be out-speccing the incredibly lame "pro" machine specs they have now (hell, the mini has more USB ports then any other mac).